Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks Beaux. Will try Whitesands, it looks gorgeous. We're a pretty pastey family so a bit of crap weather will save me having to lard the kids in goose fat 15 times a day.
And Mr L, JUST DO IT! I've wanted one since I was a kid but there was always something else to spend the money on – new boiler, new roof, bloody windows. We decided we were sick of being so respectable spending all our extras on the house – no matter how nice it looks, it's still a dump by the time the kids go to bed. And they won't write, she had a nice house on my tombstone.
And I was sitting on the couch, looking at my 10 year old and you can start to see the man in his face. I suddenly thought, shit, in a few years he won't want to be seen dead with me, I better make the most of it before it goes tits up!
Think yours are younger than mine so maybe it'll be a stretch. And good luck if you decide to get one, you can wave at me, in a camper van anorak type way, when you pass me on the motorway. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:40 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Helen your travels with Edna sound fantastic !! good luck , i'm sure you'll have some amazing trips.. even getting out to places like suffolk or sussex will be nice (not too far from sunny norf london - but far enough!)
enjoy the days ahead... but just make sure your AA membership is up to date! :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

Am doing the AA membership upgrade today cos we're off next Thursday. Actually, we ended up down your way a couple of weeks back – Mersea Island. You been there? I thought it was lovely, in a bleak, fishy type way. My boys brought back two buckets full of oyster shells after hours spent digging around in the mud. Thanks for the nice thought. Will bring you back a stick of (cyber) rock...x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just back after a truly fabulous holiday of camper-vanning madness. Spent ten days in Dorset, in Charmouth which is just so, so beautiful. We found and polished ammonites, swam in the sea, fished in the river, walked on the cliffs and ate loads of country stuff, full of cream and butter and sugar (had a pie from the bakers every day and a slab of apple cake if you're listening Richard). And then we went surfing on the Gower – we all had lessons, my sons both stood up, looking cool and born to board, whereas I nearly drowned quite a few time and ached like fuck for days afterwards, especially in my buttocks for some strange reason.
On the way back, my six year old asked me how long we'd been away and I said how long do you think? And he said five years, surely the sing of a good holiday.
Reluctantly, I'm back at work to all the troubles and woes of the world – cuts, job losses, sickness, worries. But have come in in my flip flops so at least I can take my brain back to the beach sometimes and get to work on my next trip.
If any of you are going, hope you have a good one. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

Planning to go away in my camper this weekend but haven't booked anything. Despite the fact that it's freezing and pissing it down, every campsite in a nice place I've tried is booked out. Desperate to get away... anyone got any ideas for places that don't need booking or no-one knows about? Apart from the Hebrides which is a bit far for a weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went camping in my van 20 mins from home this weekend. Kids had a great time, waking up in the middle of a forest. At midnight last night, we were toasting marshmallows on the campfire (adults dipping them in Baileys after), watching the bunnies scamper about the field. Then at 6.30 this morning, I shared the shower block with loads of other people getting ready to go to work – living in tents cos they can't afford to pay rent in London. Fucking shocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
I shared the shower block with loads of other people getting ready to go to work – living in tents cos they can't afford to pay rent in London. Fucking shocking.

glad to see you're putting Edna to good use, and keeping us posted too.... you're weekend sounds fab! like bit about the marshmallows in Bailey's ..yum.. :) although the last time i had Baileys it was home made and I was as sick as a dog at my mums... the carpet stank for weeks :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I've just been reading about your trips to Mersea (never been, thats awful since i'm not that far, but thats the difference having boys and girls, mine just wants to go shopping) and Charmouth, which sounds idyllic by the way, you've inspired me to consider going there next year.... it looks beautiful (been on the web site) so keep your post's coming, I for one look forward to them ! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks for your nice comments. Yes, am loving having the camper. It's good to get out and about with the kids, although I'm not sure it's curing my wanderlust, I think it's just making it worse.
And you are right about the boy thing – they just want to be on the go all day, although the 10 year old is starting to like shopping, and now cares about washing and spends quite a lot of time getting his hair right. When we were away, he had girls calling for him every day. Mmm, so like his dad!
Anyway, you should give Mersea a try – it's lovely and there are a couple of nice places to eat. It has a place called the Company Shed that sells seafood on the beach. You bring your own bread and booze.
http://www.west-mersea.co.uk/articles/3 ... mpany-shed
And Charmouth is lovely. We went in the last week of July and every year at that time they have a village show. It was like going back fifty years – there was a stall where you could pay 50p to throw wooden balls at a wall of crockery and try to smash it. My kids just thought it was brilliant, that they could be allowed to smash up their granny's plates and no-one would have a go at them, it's little boy heaven. And there was tug of war and old fashioned bowling, like you used to get at the back of pubs and Punch and Judy and stuff.
And in the evening they had a indy tribute band on, who played off the back of a potato truck, and all these villagers came out as the sun went down with their kids and loads of beer and danced until midnight on the hay bales. And in the morning, they were all behind the counters of the shops, nursing massive hangovers and laughing about who'd been drunkist and who'd kissed who. Great fun.
We stayed in a place called Seadown, which has caravans to hire and stuff. Cheap enough but still nice. And it backs onto the beach.
Nice to talk to you as usual. Next Hawley gig down Sarf, we'll meet for a beer. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Next Hawley gig down Sarf, we'll meet for a beer.

well, i've put my name in a draw for the jack daniels gig in clapham at the end of the month so if i get two tickets i'll let you know.. mind you, Clapham is a bit of a nightmare to get to... and I don't own a sat nav! failing that we'll have to keep an eye out for the next one x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

You're on there! Clapham not too bad. I've got a mate who lives there so we could park at hers. Might even get a mug of tea out of it! Don't know when/if Richard plans something else down here. I went to the Royal Festival Hall gig which I really enjoyed because I like the venue – it feels like a real London night out. But I went with my other half, who's not really a fan and he was in a sarcastic mood, so parts of it were hard work.
And went to the Jazz Cafe doo with a friend, which was great, but was home by 11.30 (it was a school night). Always have trouble meeting up anywhere beforehand cos I'm always feeding kids, or putting them to bed, laa, laa, laa. Anyway, we will do it, girl. Keep in touch. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:21 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Always have trouble meeting up anywhere beforehand cos I'm always feeding kids, or putting them to bed, laa, laa, laa. Anyway, we will do it, girl. Keep in touch. x

I know the feeling, especially as I have to get into town from Essex which adds an extra hour on the journey and makes weekday gigs a bit of a no no (why I missed the Jazz Cafe, although I regretted that ...) I went to the RFH gig with my other half too , and although i'm the Hawley fan in our house he really enjoyed it... such a nice venue, and we parked around the corner for £7 -result!! I'm determined to get to the next one tho' ,whenever or wherever that is.. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

My lovely Edna is no more, having been stolen by some shit over the weekend. Policeman helpfully told me that she's probably been stolen to order to be stripped down for parts. Have visions in my head of her in some garage somewhere being cannibalised. Am officially glum. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

:cry: bollocks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Policeman helpfully told me that she's probably been stolen to order to be stripped down for parts

I don't know if he was trying to make you feel better or what, but to me thats even worse!! Poor old Edna - and poor old Watson clan...no amount of insurance will make up for it - lets hope the bastards get their comeuppance one day.. :cry: