Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cornwall
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:17 am 
The Boss

We went to see midsummer nights dream there last year it was ace,the weather was boiling hot.....I really want to go back,maybe next year

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I agree, lovely! Read it when I was a teenager and it blew me away. Sobbed for days at the ending. Set me off on a Steinbeck thing and read all his books by the time I was 20. My favourite is Travels with Charlie, which is an autobiographical book about him going around America with his dog. His descriptions of the country are beautiful – the sea of Cortez, giant redwoods, being in the eye of a storm. Luscious.

And, the play really made me think. The book was published a couple of years after the depression began. It must've been such a political act, telling a story like that while hundreds of thousands were starving in shanty towns. And it was beautifully acted – I sort of didn't want to go, just in case it was shite! A bit like seeing Stevie Wonder! If it was am-dram bollocks, maybe it would sully my whole view. But the acting was really good and it just made me remember how I felt when I first read it.

And H, we are going to go back next year, we have the bug, for the theatre and the area. Thank you so much for telling me about it. The stormy picture of the cliff was taken from the Minack, looking across Porthcurno beach. My big boy has his GCSEs in May so it will be a good antidote to post revision madness. And I might get a kayak too but that's another story...

I feel it is sort of what we bought the camper for – I know being outdoors all weathers isn't everyone's cup of tea but it is magic watching the night fall over the sea, with nature coming to life all around you. We've never really been sunseekers – too pastey for that. So the wild west suits us fine.

Anyway, enough!! Before I break the internet. xxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 am 
The Boss

Have you read The Pearl by Steinbeck?......beyond the beyond of beautiful

Cannery Row
Tortilla flat

After the steel works shite happened with Dad I vowed never to work for"the man"but thank fuck I read these books at the same time, they kept my moral compass intact(mostly :D )and showed me another way

One of my boys is doing GCSEs too.....the pressure is horrific but it's got to be done

I hated everything at that age apart from rock n roll,pussy,beer,guitars and records

Hold on........I was FUCKIN RIGHT :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes, I agree about The Pearl. Beautiful. And as for Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat, Doc and Danny are probably my favourite Steinbeck characters. Always wanted to go to Monterey because of that.

Really, this whole thread has taken me back to my teenage years in so many ways. You're sitting with folk, discussing nature and literature, the beauty of the sea and Steinbeck, and the boy you're sitting next to starts talking about pussy! It's 1984, I'm right back there, my youth, wrapped up in a nutshell... It's the poetry and the contradiction that makes me like your music so. x

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

You people are speaking my language. This Steinbeck tour rocked our world, still not over it:

http://www.seemonterey.com/things-to-do/itineraries/steinbeck/

He could be a real jackass, true. Sometimes downright manipulative, violent, and dishonest. He's also a towering literary giant no one has yet surpassed. People are complex, what can you say?

Bonus points to the first one who uses "tortilla" and "pussy" in the same sentence. Go!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:15 am 
The Boss

I ordered a tortilla in a dodgy restaurant and the filling tasted just like...... :CAT

I'm soooooo sorry :oops:

But it's your fault

You dared me

Steinbeck is the master,I did a radio show a while back where I chose Cannery row can't remember exactly what it was though :eh?

Too much LDS is the 60's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:41 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Laaaaame. Come on man, the answer was obvious. I can't believe your mind did not turn to tacos. And you're the writer. Pssshht, half points to Gryffindor. :roll:

Oh cool, I'd like to hear that at some point!

Although, extra points for somewhat obscure Star Trek reference. Nerd. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

You've both completely lost me, I'm afraid. But nice to know that someone notices when I'm being sarcastic. x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

That works out beautifully, because I frequently lose MYSELF, so you're in good company. I have a passing familiarity with sarcasm, too, so we are on the same page. I can't speak for the other guy. :wink:

By the way, I am loving your travelogues. Bewitching photos. More please! xo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qplyl

A Good Read is available as a podcast but I'm not sure if episodes as far back as 2010 are still active, worth checking out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:36 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

exapno mapcase wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qplyl

A Good Read is available as a podcast but I'm not sure if episodes as far back as 2010 are still active, worth checking out.

Says it's not available, I'm afraid. I remember listening to it though, when I still worked in the Big Shed. And it was actually Tortilla Flat you chose, Richard...... :wink: :BEEEER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:57 am 
The Boss

It was a long time ago sorry,both books are sort of intertwined in my addled mind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

At least you read them - I bought Travels With Charlie several years ago after Helen mentioned it here - and to this day it lies unread...

I am just crap at reading books.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:05 pm 
The Boss

It's a great book

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks for trying to find it, fellas. I'll track it down eventually maybe. :-)

Poppy, if you're interested, you know what's a good idea for that sometimes? Less, not more. If you're down, just give me a shout anytime with ideas or subjects that interest you, and I'd be happy to recommend some short stories or essays. Smaller chunks, but still very satisfying. :) It is what I do. xo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next