Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lynmouth - North Devon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Our destination this year, first holiday with the baby.

Anyone every been? Any tips?

The Valley of Rocks sounds pretty cool, I saw something on Countryfile about feral goats which may or may not be entertaining for a 6 month old - she likes pulling the dogs ears at the moment, dunno what a goat would do. Question, is it safe to let a 6 month old pull a goats ears?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

If the goat is dead - the likely hood of injury is diminished ..>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lynton and Lynmouth are lovely – you'll have a great time.

You get into the village via a 1 in 4 road called Countisbury Hill, which has a pub on the top of it with a gorgeous view of the sea.

The road is probably one of the scariest roads I've ever driven on. We went through there last year on a bit of a road trip. I drove our three and a half tonne, 21ft camper van down it and I was crying by the time I got to the bottom. The kids were saying: Are we going to die, Mum? all the way down. Shat myself!

For moorland beauty, go to Tarr Steps, Doone Valley, Oare Church. Very beautiful, lots of little streams to dip your wee one's feet in – we spent all day damming a stream last year with bits of rock. Beats the X Box for 13 year old boys any day of the week.

And if you fancy a trip to the beach, go to Woolacombe and, a little further afield but not far, in my top five beaches in the universe (and I have a big list) Saunton Sands... just spectacular.

If you like the camping life, try Cloud Farm (scene of stream damming extravaganza) http://www.cloudfarmcamping.com/

Or North Morte Farm, where they let you hold chicks and feed baby lambs.

http://www.northmortefarm.co.uk/

If you get there without bricking it, tell us all about it... sure you'll have a lovely time. x

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
Regular poster

Try the Rising Sun in Lynmouth…lovely place (if still there)….R D Blackmore wrote part of Lorna Doon there…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Wow! Thanks!

Is saunton near croyde? Popping down there definitely so will pop to saunton too.
The farm sounds brilliant for the nipper too

The rising sun? I'd spotted that before booking!

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:12 am 
Hawleytastic!

Saunton is on the road to Croyde – it rises high along the cliff and view is spectacular. Croyde is lovely but I think Saunton is the best beach. Gorgeous.

You also go through Braunton to get to Croyde and it has the best fish and chip shop in the world there. Squires it's called, takeaway or eat in. Huge portions so don't go before you swim!

You can hire a beach hut at Saunton and just stay all day – the wee one will love it, rock pools, surf, sand and there's plenty of little shops for provisions.

Made me all lonesome for a holiday this has! Maybe I'll fit in a cheeky one before summer.

xxxx