Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I knew a guy two jobs ago who cycles alone all the way from Madrid to his parents' home in Romania every year for his summer holidays (he comes back by plane, because otherwise he would have to leave back on the day he arrives there!). I don't know whether he's still working at the same place (I would only be able to contact him through his corporate e-mail address, if he's still got it), but if there's something you want me to ask him, just let me know. Although I don't whether his route across the Alps would suit you, he must know quite a lot of useful tips about cycling.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Egg wrote:
Alan Noir wrote:
Finally got a bike.

........so how's the training going? <*>

Quite difficult. I've been going out every second evening, I'd say doing about 5-12 miles. The longest I've done so far is 17 miles, with a stop off for a sunny pint halfway. Any incline is painful in my legs and I have very low energy. It's going to be quite a struggle to get fit enough. I go to the gym once or twice a week, to little avail. Currently 5 ft 8 and about 13 stone.

I did however call in to my Dad's Uncle Jim, who is one of only two in the original group who are still alive. It was great to get so many stories and sound advice. An added bonus was all teh general stories abuot my late grandfather. He was actually the one who planned the whole trip out, and kept a diary every single day, in great detail. There's not much hope for recovering it though, the house has been cleaned out many times without a sign of it.

The most pertinent points Uncle Jim made were regarding the time it took. They got to Rome in 13 days. The guy I found on the internet took 28, mind you the original gang were in their 20s, he was probably mid 40s.

I think this will warrant a blog. For Jim's stories alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Colombo wrote:
I knew a guy two jobs ago who cycles alone all the way from Madrid to his parents' home in Romania every year for his summer holidays (he comes back by plane, because otherwise he would have to leave back on the day he arrives there!). I don't know whether he's still working at the same place (I would only be able to contact him through his corporate e-mail address, if he's still got it), but if there's something you want me to ask him, just let me know. Although I don't whether his route across the Alps would suit you, he must know quite a lot of useful tips about cycling.

I might take you up on your offer later down the line. Apparently my Grandad's gang walked 9 hours a day over the alps, the cycle was almost impossible. It's the aspect I'd like to get the most advice on, I don't really want to go that far and just take the coastal route. Thanks for the offer!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Alan Noir wrote:
I might take you up on your offer later down the line.

I've just checked that this guy still works at the same place, so I'd know how to get in touch with him if necessary.