Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holidays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:29 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Myself and husband are going on holiday next week, for 3 weeks. Nice, you may think. mmmm im trying to be optimistic but several obstacles are in the way. Firstly its the first time in 24 years we have gone anywhere alone (i.e. without kids). Secondly, 3 weeks is an eternity. Lastly, and most worryingly, leaving my 17 year old daughter in the house, with only occassional visits from her elder sister. What am i going to come home to?

Anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas? Any words of wisdom i can bestow on her before i leave my beloved cat under her care?

Im hoping several boxes of wine, kindle and ipod will help.

Post subject: Re: Holidays
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

lynne wrote:

For the cat? - that's thoughtful...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am 
Hawley Groupie

Poppy Dog wrote:
lynne wrote:

For the cat? - that's thoughtful...

He does appreciate a gently chilled chardonnay in the garden when its very warm, whilst listening to the ashes. Hes quite sophisticated for a ginger tom.

Just hope he doesnt leave home because of the poor service he will get from 'the staff' (daughter)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

Had a conversation sort of like this with my friend.

Boyfriend of her 18 year old daughter had stayed the night, in the same room. My friend said: "He's a nice lad but I don't think it's serious. Don't think they've had sex yet." I says: "How do you know that?" At this point, daughter and boyfriend come into the kitchen to make a cup of tea – she puts the kettle on, he leans over her to get the teabags and places his hand in the small of her back, not in a I'm leaning on you to be able to reach things type of way, but in a intimate, I've had my hands here before with no-one watching and considerably less clothes on type of way. They make their tea and leave the room. I says: "They did have sex you know. What makes you think they didn't?" She says: "When I came down in the morning, they were dressed in the same clothes as last night."

Much laughter from me. She says: "What the fuck you laughing at?" And I remind her that we have been friends since we were 18 and I obviously have a longer memory than her, and remember all the bullshit she used to tell her mum.

We go over the old rules:
1. You can have sex any time of the day, not just at night. This also applies to booze/pot/other assorted intoxicating substances.
2. You can wear the same clothes two days in a row.
3. Your kids will do stuff you don't like/they don't like/they think is a mistake when they're older and there's not a thing you can do about it.
4. The less you know, within reason, the better.

Good luck Lynne, the cat won't die, everything will be OK. Just concentrate on the big picture and obliterate the obvious detail. And have a nice time. x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

BTW Lynne, I'm not suggesting in any way that this is what your daughter will be up to!!! Realise on re-reading it, it sounds a bit crass!! I'm sure you're just worried about a starving cat and the washing up. I just used the example of dilemmas life throws up when we have teenagers. My eldest is just 13 so I am sure, a couple of years down the line, I'll be similarly in need of advice. xxx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

lynne wrote:
... 3 weeks is an eternity...

It'll fly by - my rule was never stay in one pub for more than an hour - and do not return before your banning order has expired...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Poppy Dog wrote:
lynne wrote:
... 3 weeks is an eternity...

It'll fly by - my rule was never stay in one pub for more than an hour - and do not return before your banning order has expired...

Fine advice, I will try my best. Cant guarantee not going dolally before the end of the first week though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:38 pm 
Hawley Groupie

helenwatson wrote:
BTW Lynne, I'm not suggesting in any way that this is what your daughter will be up to!!! Realise on re-reading it, it sounds a bit crass!! I'm sure you're just worried about a starving cat and the washing up. I just used the example of dilemmas life throws up when we have teenagers. My eldest is just 13 so I am sure, a couple of years down the line, I'll be similarly in need of advice. xxx

Helen, you wouldnt know how to be crass. As ever you are the voice of reason, and sanity. Im aware and slightly (very) mortified at my own youthful activities. As much as I would like to pretend they were not as abandoned as I remember, im afraid they were. As my mum loves to point out, im only getting what i deserve. Thanks mum.

I know my daughter is slightly more sensible than i was at her age, and i just have to hope that my parenting skills will see us through the next month. Hopefully my nagging voice will pop into her head when temptation calls. I pray that the house stays upright, the cat doesnt move out, and the police arent too frequent visitors.

Then theres only the problem of myself and husband not killing eachother, or not knowing what to say to eachother for 3 weeks!

Roll on the middle of August when im back to normality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:15 am 
Too much time on my hands

You could always not go........ But then again what is life without worry. I worry all the time. I am going on holiday in a week and am worried about my ill parents. You can't put your own life on hold though. It won't change anything. Sorry - being miserable! Must stop that - it's becoming a habit.

Drink a lot and then you won't need to talk and you won't worry about your daughter, or more seriously your cat, and just chill. You deserve it and your daughter will enjoy the freedom but will appreciate you all the more when you get back. Your cat, on the other hand, will let you know his displeasure at being left behind. He's the one who will cause the most problems. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 am 
Hawley Groupie

Right, ive decided its time to be possitive, nothing bad is going to happen. My daughter will be fine, the cat will miss me. All will be well. Possibly.....possibly not. But i cant do anything to fix it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 am 
Too much time on my hands

We are going away soon to France and had the problem of the 18 year old being at home. Our solution was to arrange to be away just as she was returning from her inter railing - ( the right of passage of 18 year olds - well that or apparently a package to Croatia this year). We offered to pay for her train from Venice to La Rochelle so she could finish her holiday with us. That seemed to do the trick.
She's having a brilliant time sending us daily texts - ' went to the Berlin wall' ' went to the launderette' ' Prague is pretty but full of drunk english youth' type thing...
Holidays are essential for me just to escape whatever mr Gove throws at us this week. Probably by the time we come back we'll be teaching in Latin and using ink wells again!( just listening to the news - apparently its banning packed lunches!)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am 
Hawley Groupie

Good thinking. I mentioned coming to meet us for the last few days. Didnt go down a treat. However, camping at a couple of festivals while we are away, did. So ive given her money for tickets and travel. Having to teach the cat to undo his own food pouches is proving difficult.