Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Tony Benn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:13 am 
Too much time on my hands

Such sad news. Our country has lost a wise, compassionate and inspirational man. He always stuck by his principles. We need more like him. RIP dear, magnificent Tony Benn x

Post subject: Re: RIP Tony Benn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:02 am 
Too much time on my hands

A sad day.
I will miss his kind - a man of conviction and principles.
RIP Mr Benn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

Amen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

Moved this to the right place.

I'm having to not read or listen to the tributes for Tony Benn. All the Tory grandees and the Labour aristocracy telling us how no-one agreed with him but everyone respected him for having an opinion.

Tony said that Labour had gone from being a party who wanted to change the world for the better to being only concerned with getting working people to accept the way things are. I think the comments most of them make over the next few days will make his words ring truer than ever.

I think if I hadn't been in bits at one point this week already, that I would be inconsolable today. But if losing two great men, who fought to change the world we live in for the better, serves to teach us anything, it's that there's no-one going to do that for us, we've got to do it for ourselves.

Like my beloved and beautiful Tony, I look forward to getting more left wing as I get older. And more organised. RIP lovely. x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:02 pm 
The Boss

Was there ever a politician so beloved and revered as Tony Benn?I doubt it,so very sad today lets hope his ideas live on,god we need them now.rest in peace you dear dear man!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I met him at our union meeting a five years ago. He was not in the best of health then – but insisted on coming, and staying behind after for a cuppa and some cake. He was my dad's hero so, before the meeting started, I asked him would he mind having his picture taken with me so I could give it to my dad for his birthday. He was really sweet and said of course, although he was no-one's hero, just a ordinary man. He sat down and I was standing and I put my arms around his neck and he took hold of both my hands and my friend took some pictures. And he gave me a kiss and said how nice it was to meet me. Honestly, he was so lovely. My dad was so chuffed. Lovely Tony, I know he lived a long life but men like him don't come along every day. Just gutted. x

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

R.I.P. A sad day indeed.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:01 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

When he was on Question Time I made sure to watch it, and whenever he was being interviewed on TV or radio I always stopped what I was doing to listen to his wise words.

Not many other politicians could make me do this. In fact none could especially at the moment.

Had a great cameo in Michael Moore's film 'Sicko' sure it'll be on YouTube, but can't access it for some reason.

RIP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The clip from Sicko is fantastic. Great film.

Mate of mine said something quite profound about it all. Now we don't have people like Tony or Bob to speak up for those who have no voice, the onus is on people who feel the world could be a better place to up their game. Maybe it's time we all became a bit more like Tony Benn, tried to articulate things and use our energy to try to right wrongs. After all, who will do it now? Miliband? Clegg? Hardly.

And if anyone says that his were the eccentric thoughts of an old man whose time had past, refer them to the front of this morning's Guardian. Five families are worth more than the poorest 20 per cent of British society. How the fuck can we ever call ourselves a civilised society and allow this shocking, shameful thing to be true? Benn was not an old man whose time had past but one whose ideas are needed now more than ever. It has given me a bit of a kick up the arse in my nice suburban life. Stop ranting on to yourself and do something about it. x

www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/1 ... inequality

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

my gal saw him speak at the free trade hall years ago (see below) and says she's never heard anything so committed and captivating, the memory stays with her now.