Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:51 am 
Hawleytastic!

Time for a new Wales picture.

This is Llangollen, my eldest son is there at the moment, his friend is a volunteer on the Steam Railway in the picture.

I walked to the top of the hill in the background to Castell Dinas Bran on one of my early dates with my hubby. We got to the top and found out I had left the drink in the car. Surprisingly he stuck with me, that was 29 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:29 am 
Too much time on my hands

As I run a mailing list and website for SFA, I know more about Wales than you can believe for a person who has only been there briefly twice. I really hope to explore every corner soon, it's been too long coming.

Meanwhile, someone on the list mentioned this festival that's coming up in March, it sounds very unusual:

http://www.thelaugharneweekend.com/

~ Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I am ashamed I have never visited Wales but the pictures shown on here are beautiful :) ............................must make an effort..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Karen wrote:
As I run a mailing list and website for SFA, I know more about Wales than you can believe for a person who has only been there briefly twice. I really hope to explore every corner soon, it's been too long coming.

Meanwhile, someone on the list mentioned this festival that's coming up in March, it sounds very unusual:

~ Karen

Had a day in Laugharne whilst staying near Tenby several years ago - did the Dylan Thomas bit ie] went to his 'writing shed' then straight to the Pub for a few pints - a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

Karen wrote:

~ Karen

SFA? Do you mean the Super Furry Animals?

Laugharne is a long long way from me, at least 4 hours drive. I love that part of Wales and have been on holiday a few times in the Cardiganshire & Pembrokeshire areas. I will dig out some photo's. We visited Laugharne but it was one of those days when nothing went right and we didn't see much of it at all.

Jane, you must visit Wales, there are some lovely places. We tend to go there for days out and head for the coast. We tend to stop at the RSPB reserve at Conway, then into Llandudno
or along the coast towards Anglesey. We usually go back inland through Betws-y-Coed and Llangollen. Snowdonia is just a little further, it is wonderful driving through looking up at the mountains. We are not great walkers. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:16 am 
Hawleytastic!

Its a good day to be Welsh (I have a Welsh connection way back.)

Even better, the Italians got a win today. :Hoorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:36 am 
Too much time on my hands

Quote:
SFA? Do you mean the Super Furry Animals?

Yes, 11 years of this stuff:

http://www.myspace.com/oneeyedbear
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/superfurryanimals/
http://www.superfurry.org/oneeyedbear/

~ Karen aka Caryn ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

We are going to Pembrokeshire on Saturday, I really need a break it has been manic at work recently. :(

This is where we are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:40 am 
Hawleytastic!

If your in the area try Porth Gain - can get over run with the 4X4 set at weekends but should be quiet Monday to Friday...

Have a nice time - and make sure you drink lots of Brains...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

O.K. we will stock up when we get there.

We have been to Porth Gain, the tide was out and we decided to have a picnic and game of cricket on the sand - then the tide came in and we had to pack up quick. :*:

It is lovely around St Davids, St. Justinians is one of my favourite places, excellent for bird watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 am 
Regular poster

If you are in Porthgain the Sloop Inn is a great pub for food. Highly recommended. Get there early though it fills up very quickly.

Susie: That's Newgale, fab place , lovely beach and Sands Cafe at the north end of the beach is a great stop off for coffee and cake or lunch. Have fun.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Tregolwyn wrote:
If you are in Porthgain the Sloop Inn is a great pub for food. Highly recommended. Get there early though it fills up very quickly.

Susie: That's Newgale, fab place , lovely beach and Sands Cafe at the north end of the beach is a great stop off for coffee and cake or lunch. Have fun.

Paul

We did visit Porthgain - and the Sloop Inn as there was a bit of drizzle, the only rain we had all week. <*>

That view of Newgale is the view from the cottage we stayed in at Wood Village. It is a wonderful place we had a great time walking the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. I was lucky to see gannets fishing twice while we were there. I love watching gannets.

It was Porth Clais not Porthgain where we got our feet wet when the tide came in. I got my Porths mixed up. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:43 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Paul[/quote]

It was Porth Clais not Porthgain where we got our feet wet when the tide came in. I got my Porths mixed up. :oops:[/quote]

It's very easy to do that in Wales - along with your Llans, Abers and Ponts :shock:

If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We had a nice little break in West Wales last week, renting a cottage near Narberth.

The weather was, well, what you'd expect in Wales in August :) but we had a brilliant time. Here's a pic I took of the tidal river at a place called Landshipping

The cottage was brilliant, a real vintage style corrugated iron place that was beautifully put together. The decor had a real fifties feel and no TV reception!

I took my guitar and sat on the wooden bench by the back door feeling like I was on a film set, it was brilliant. :) Here's a pic of the house with some detail images which I love shooting as I think they work well to convey the atmosphere of a place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:03 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Beautiful photos! :)

If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito