Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:08 am 
Hawleytastic!

Ain't it funny how a lot of dog owners have a passing resemblance to their pets ? :shock: Jan I'm talking to you ! * ^

* ... you were quick to give Luke canine attributes in the birthday thread .What comes around ....... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

:*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

luckyman wrote:

Ain't it funny how a lot of dog owners have a passing resemblance to their pets ? :shock: Jan I'm talking to you ! * ^

* ... you were quick to give Luke canine attributes in the birthday thread .What comes around ....... :wink:

Hey Luckyman - I'm flattered! :*: If I could choose to be an animal, I would be my dog. He's good looking, has gorgeous eyes, is intelligent and his sole ambition in life (like most labradors) is to be round! ..... I reckon I'm almost there! How's that mangy, castrated, three-legged, one-eyed mongrel of yours doing? :*: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:01 am 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Jan I am on my back laughing like one of those mashed potato men!!!! :*: :*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:37 am 
Hawleytastic!

That's you pumped sunshine :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:46 pm 
Jan H wrote:
If I could choose to be an animal, I would be my dog. He's good looking, has gorgeous eyes, is intelligent and his sole ambition in life (like most labradors) is to be round! ..... I reckon I'm almost there!

And can lick his own genitals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just let me know how, Craig :wink: :*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Back on topic ..... we've just spent another lovely break in The Lakes in between Christmas and New Year. didn't spot the Hawley family canoeing (very brave given the temperatures!) but the weather was gorgeous - sunny, crisp and frosty and we did lots of walking and were honoured with the presence of 20 year old son - a very rare occurence indeed :*: We didn't make it over Kirkstone this time as it was really icy near the top so we turned back and went cheese shopping instead :roll:

A few pics:

Whinlatter Forest

Shadow again!

Bassenthwaite Lake

Christmas Trees

Castlerigg Stone Circle – I’ve posted pics of this before but it’s a fascinating place and looks completely different with each season change

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Great photos Jan , and not a cloud in the sky either - looks like a stunning place . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Castlerigg stone circle is a magical place ... mountains everywhere you turn, and incredibly tranquil. Thanks for posting them, Jan. Has brought back some lovely memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:
Back on topic ..... we've just spent another lovely break in The Lakes in between Christmas and New Year. didn't spot the Hawley family canoeing (very brave given the temperatures!) but the weather was gorgeous - sunny, crisp and frosty and we did lots of walking and were honoured with the presence of 20 year old son - a very rare occurence indeed :*: We didn't make it over Kirkstone this time as it was really icy near the top so we turned back and went cheese shopping instead :roll

Aaaah you lucky thing. I thought about the Lakes a lot between Christmas and New Year. It was perfect weather.

I love going over the Kirkstone Pass. We travelled from Boot a few years ago, although we've just bought a seven-seater (VW Touran 1.6: not the most powerful) and I was thinking the other day how loaded with kids and luggage it will seriously struggle on some of the Lakeland climbs.

Mrs NewEggs may have to get out and push.

We're thinking of having a boozy mini break in Coniston or Windermere in a few weeks (without the kids) and then taking the mob to the Lakes at Easter. Some friends are going to Center Parcs near Penrith but I think we'll do our own thing round Silverdale.

I've had a blissful few weeks mucking about with the kids.....but a day or two in the Lakes would have been the icing on the Christmas cake. :D

How about this place for Mr H's now annual Christmas gig........?

http://theatrebythelake.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:45 pm 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I love Coniston & can thoroughly recommend The Black Bull - best pub in the village. The Hardknott & Wrynose Passes are great to drive too - but you probably already know that :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:09 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
I love Coniston & can thoroughly recommend The Black Bull - best pub in the village. The Hardknott & Wrynose Passes are great to drive too - but you probably already know that :roll:

I'm pretty sure it was the Black Bull where I sank a few pints of Old Man ale two years ago. Beautiful, blissful beer. I had a bottle of the stuff a few weeks later but it wasn't a patch on the real deal. Brewed in Coniston isn't it?

Is it the pub on the main road (if you can call it that) near the bridge over the river?

Yes, it was Hardknott and Wrynose passes on the trip home from Boot. Stoopid me. Kirkstone comes down into Windermere from Glenridding. We had a day out at Pooley Bridge at the north end of Ullswater, went on a steamer, and decided to be adventurous on the way back. We stopped for photos at the top of the pass. Thrilling view. Didn't see any rhinos though. :roll:

I wouldn't want to be stuck up there tonight, mind. What do you reckon.....minus ten?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Minus ten? Wouldn't be surprised tonight. I think the Old Man Ale is brewed in the town - is it at that little brewery attached to the Black Bull? They do Bluebird Bitter too, which even I like :) I was up there in September 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 am 
Hawleytastic!

Bluebird bitter, that's right. I tried it but liked the Old Man a tad more.

Here's the pub with the Old Man watching over it.

http://www.conistonbrewery.com/BlackBull.htm