Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:20 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

The Baroness wrote:
sunflower wrote:
up a tree in yorkshire sculpture park! i love it there....

Do you spend a lot of time up a tree in the Yorkshire Sculpture Park then? :wink:

well, yeah.

me and hoyboy meet there regularly but dont tell anyone :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:21 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

i watched a docu where he re-created a cloud. it was fascinating but he was a pain in the arse.

i love the statues though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dawoodcock wrote:
I like sculpture, maybe we need a thread about our favourite sculpture.

Eh up! What might gaffer say? Bit high brow, innit? :*:
Actually, I'm sure he has a view on everything. Yes, I agree. Perhaps it fits into Culture Corner? The 'Iron Men' thread has already had a great response showing there's an interest in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

sunflower wrote:
i really like them. theres one up a tree in yorkshire sculpture park! i love it there....

The yorkshire sculpture park is a fabulous place .... it's so calming and I love the fluffy sheep meandering round the sculptures :roll: ... real sheep not hoards of daytrippers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:20 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

well i finally made it there today :D fantastically sunny day as well.

the statues are amazin - theres definitely somethin quite eerie about them close up. yer feel like one is gonna turn its head or something! :shock:

then when the tide came in and they started to submerge - just brilliant.

ace. loved it.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:23 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

ps one of them was wearin a primark cardi! so when it was half submerged it looked like a real person from a distance

:*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:46 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

sunflower wrote:
ps one of them was wearin a primark cardi! so when it was half submerged it looked like a real person from a distance

:*:

You want to go there when one of them is dressed in full Everton or Liverpool FC strip - now that'e eerie! :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I really like the 'Barbara Hepworth' sculptures......................................all the more impressive when you see what a tiny little person she was.
The Hepworth studio/museum in St Ives is really worth visiting.....................................the garden is beautiful, and her sculptures are placed amongst the trees and plants........................................she must have been so inspired being in St Ives ,I mean, on the right day the' light 'down there is stunning......................................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

Although I visit Crosby quite regularly, I've never seen the Gormley sculptures :oops: This thread has inspired me to do so in the near future. It's on my 'to do' list!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:56 am 
Hawleytastic!

sunflower wrote:
well i finally made it there today :D fantastically sunny day as well.

the statues are amazin - theres definitely somethin quite eerie about them close up. yer feel like one is gonna turn its head or something! :shock:

then when the tide came in and they started to submerge - just brilliant.

ace. loved it.

:D

I'm pleased you liked the Iron Men, sunflower. Some people don't have the imagination to enjoy them and they dismiss them as junk.

I had a wander along Crosby beach (well Blundellsands) before hoofing it down to the Albert Hall concert on Tuesday. Calm before the storm of London?

It was a fresh, bright, still morning. The tide was coming in, waves gently breaking and the Iron Men standing proud. One of my favourite places, especially now there's the backdrop of 30 or so wind turbines out at sea.

I see, Antony Gormley's in hot water again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... Parks.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:23 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I suppose he's one of those artists you either love or hate - but I've seen a number of his works now and find them all strangely magnificent and mesmerising. When I went to see 'The Field' at the Liverpool Tate, I couldn;t tear my eyes away from those hundreds of terracotta figures which just seemed to follow you. Of course, my favourite is here and I hope they never leave Crosby/Blundellsands! My only major concern is the ongoing damage of the corrosive seawater.

If you think you're too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Mimithecat wrote:
My only major concern is the ongoing damage of the corrosive seawater.

Mimithecat, I hate name droppers...however, I have talked to Gormley about this (clang!!!) a while back and he said that if 'Another Place' is to stay at Crosby long term, which is now the case, the sculptures can be coated in a protective chemical which would make them close to invincible.

However, I don't think this process has yet been carried out. It would involve each being taken out, treated and replaced, so it will cost a fair whack and also take time.

I am presuming it is part of the funding package which Another Place Ltd, Sefton Council, The Northern Way and North West Development Agency are still haggling over.

Sixteen of the sculptures from the north end towards Blundellsands and Hightown were temporarily removed last July and are due to be replaced nearer the promenade where stray yachts should not venture.

Meanwhile, some of the Iron Men are looking weathered which arguably adds to their charm, but which also gives fuel to the critics who predict they will be left to rust away.

The bigger threat comes from local Tories who never took to them because they did not like the idea of grubby tourists flocking to the area, spending cash and being happy. They would love funding to secure the long-term future being scuppered.

I think the Iron Men will outlast most of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:51 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi JohnnyNewEggs

Thanks for letting me know about the protective coating - which I hope will be applied.

As for your comments about the 'local Tories'. You're leaning against an open door there as far as I'm concerned! The new boundary changes - as you'll know - are likely to lose us Claire Curtis-Thomas (Labour) who has been a most excellent MP as far as I'm concerned. If you live in Blundellsands, I suppose you may be landed with Debi Jones (Tory - and which I now and forever pronounce as 'Deeby'). Now, I knew Debi before she lost the second 'd' and the 'e' in her name (work it out!). She was a year below me at Waterloo Park Girls' Grammar and she always went around with an air of superiority even then - rather reminiscent of Thatcher.

One thing I'm pleased about is that, as I am in Waterloo_- and so are some of the Iron Men, we'll now be in Bootle which is about as Labour as you can get so, maybe, the Iron Men will become a political issue.

Anyone for Iron Men Beach Football?

(As I suggested it, I get to choose that my Men wear the Liverpool colours! The Red Army marches and will prevail!!!) :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:59 am 
Hawleytastic!

Mimithecat wrote:
The new boundary changes - as you'll know - are likely to lose us Claire Curtis-Thomas (Labour) who has been a most excellent MP as far as I'm concerned. If you live in Blundellsands, I suppose you may be landed with Debi Jones...

A funny thing about the boundary changes which kick in at the next election is that fact that Crosby Conservative Association's HQ (above the the 50p shop and First Stop DIY in Moor Lane) will be in the new extended Bootle constituency by a matter of five yards.

If they have a problem they'll have to queue up to discuss it with Joe Benton MP, who just happens to have the biggest Labour majority in the country!!

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two new faces for Labour at the next general election, perhaps even Cherie standing in Bootle which includes her hometown of Waterloo? That would be fun. Or am I being mischievous?

But let's not talk politics, there's more interesting things in life...like the Iron Men and Mr H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:54 am 
Chief Poodlewhacker

I love the gormley 'another place; sculptures with a passion, anyone who uses them as political collateral and points scoring, needs a good kicking. public art you can touch and interact with and climb on is the best kind.

The kids love the yorkshire sculpture park and I have some ace pics of them there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next