Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tonight
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:13 am 
Regular

I've no idea why I'm writing this. I think a heady combination of Guinness and a damn fine single malt has finally allowed my feelings to come free from their moorings on the subject.

I suppose I just want to say that out of all of Richard's songs, the one that means the most is Tonight.

In March, my dad was rushed to hospital after he collapsed at the top of the stairs and fell all the way down them. He was first admitted to the A&E ward of the local hospital before being transferred to intensive care in Blackburn.

It was around the time that I'd first started to appreciate Richard's music; seeing Serious on Jonathan Ross sowed the seed but subsequent events saw this song seal the deal, as it were.

To get to the Royal Blackburn Hospital from Bury you can either go up the M66 or 'over the tops' via Haslingden, Rawtenstall and with Bolton in the distance. When me and my mum drove to the hospital on those dark Spring nights, not knowing what we'd be seeing when we got there, it was always a nervy occasion and frequently we never spoke. Instead, I'd put some music on.

The chimes of the guitar and the beautiful imagery of Tonight will stay with me for a very long time. Often was the thought that instead of carrying on the road to the hospital, I didn't want to face what awaited; I wanted to see where that road goes. I'd look down on Blackburn, the city lights below, thinking that no-one in that town or anywhere else knew what was whizzing around my mind.

Then, on getting back to Bury after visiting times, there would be sitting in the snug of mine and my old man's local. With a pint but not with him, and the musical accompaniment on my headphones. Offering silent prayers, fighting back the tears, taking strong gulps at a pint for him and thinking I might never go to the football with him, drink with him, laugh with him, again.

There's no real conclusion to this regret-it-the-next-morning post. Suffice to say, he's alright now; he's made as near as damn it a full recovery and things are getting back to normal. But Tonight was there for me in perhaps my darkest hour and it will always have something beautiful about it for me. Cheers Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:59 am 
The Boss

thats special that mate thanks really glad to learn at the end of that story your dad is ok best wishes to you and your family

Richard ..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm 
Regular

Cheers Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

James, I think music can be 'just there' for you at certain times ............It certainly has for me.............I love 'Tonight' .......................its got a lot of atmosphere somehow......................and really glad to hear your story had a happy ending..... :)

.......Hope your dad is doing ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm 
Regular

Thanks Jane. We went for a drink today and he's great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good to hear James!................ :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 am 
Regular

Shamelessly bumped, but thanks to Richard for playing this at the Bridgewater Hall last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I just saw this post James......and how spooky..... on Friday I got a call from the Nursing Home where my Mum lives to say she had been taken into hospital again....she has final stage dementia and so everytime they call me like this - I fear the worst........ I spent four hours in Leeds Infirmary A & E and on the way home at midnight down the M62 I was listening to Coles Corner, and when Tonight came on I had a bit of a "moment" too...... may have been the fact that I had just seen Richard sing it the night before in Holmfirth .....

Mum going back to her Home tonight......glad your dad is ok.......