Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i am playing it underneath hank also there is lap steel on that versionit plays the counter melody

thought so, can just hear it in the back ground.
was the melody Hank played pretty much how you had it written, or did he improvise at all. didn't you say that you didn't meet him and it was all done by email mp3 or something?

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good links there Simong

I must admit, I've been looking at Burns guitars recently. I severely like the look of them. I've not had chance to play one. They are also cheaper than I thought.

Does anybody know if the Burns sound and build quality in the video are similar to the one's produced today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I tried a Burns Marquee once in a shop down Denmark Street. In the window brand new at £150. And I thought it was bloody awful! The neck much wider than what I'm used to (and I haven't got the longest fingers anyway) and felt a bit clunky. However, I now think that it was probably a demo model that had been tried by all and sundry and was just damn dirty! I'd certainly like to try one again.

I think Hank had a signature model at one point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Here you go...

http://www.burnsguitars.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks.

I've just been browsing again. Seems like the one you tired was very cheap!

They seem to vary in price, starting around £270. That was why I was wondering what the build quality e.t.c. was like.

But from what you have said, the present day ones sound a million miles away from the one's of the 60's.

Though saying that, there is an impressive list of people who play them. I remember seeing Supergrass and being really impressed with Gaz Coombes guitar, but I never knew what it was until just now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Father-in-laws got a Marquee, he's a big shadows fan so we all chipped in to get hime one for christmas one year! he's got the white one with tortie pickguard, i've gigged it a couple of times and its a lovely guitar.,got all the normal strat sounds but a bit more warmer, the tone controls got a push/pull coil tap that alters the switching. very nice guitar, yep the neck is a tad wider and flatter than a strats, but it's summat you get used to.
bargain though for the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:33 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Richard Hawley wrote:
haven't heard it in a while its lovely great playing from Hank he is awesome,he has invited me to see him when he is on tour with the Shadows again might pop along especially if they play this tune that would be a moment,i remember listening to the shadows as a small boy at my nan's in darnell

Rich.....Go, go. go, go, go and I'll come wi' thi if you want some company! I saw the Shads a few years back at the City Hall and they were awesome!

MrL wrote:
watched the bt of Cliff & the Shads on the variety performance last night, glad they did 'Move it' , sounded as though only cliff was live though, apart from on 'The Young Ones' it looked and sounded as though Hank was playing it live.

They were definately playing it live on the variety, you could tell by the ending on 'Move It'. Hank, Bruce and Brian Bennett are all amazing players and make it look effortless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i dunno..must have been 'hand jive' where it wasn't, there were a couple of bits where hanks fingers weren't matching what was played!
move it sounded great though, i love that tune. like Cliff's extra verse too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

MR L wrote:
Father-in-laws got a Marquee, he's a big shadows fan so we all chipped in to get hime one for christmas one year! he's got the white one with tortie pickguard, i've gigged it a couple of times and its a lovely guitar.,got all the normal strat sounds but a bit more warmer, the tone controls got a push/pull coil tap that alters the switching. very nice guitar, yep the neck is a tad wider and flatter than a strats, but it's summat you get used to.
bargain though for the money.

H'mm sounds interesting. I really need to try one then.

Trouble is the nearest shop for me is about an hour away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i am playing it underneath hank also there is lap steel on that versionit plays the counter melody

Is it true what they're saying on the Rickebacker forum that you sent him the song out of the blue?
If so, that's pretty damn cool!I'd be so proud. Hank is a legend regardless of ...that lead singers career

Also...yer man saying the "starvin like marvin" explanation is bollocks...that's bollocks surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:08 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi have a Burns Marquee L/H It's a great guitar but thinner sounding than a Strat with the same P/UPS. The Rezomatics are on crap plastic bobbins they had to go as did the small pots and thin wiring loom, the 7 way switching is great via the pull push tone knob allowing bridge/neck voicing which can sound quite tele-esq.
I put a Barden Tele P/UP in the Bridge and scatter wound Wilco Staggered Alnico V's in the mid and neck, CTS pots and a Fender 5 way selector.
Tuners are now Grovers, and roller saddles. The trem was jacked down as it is height adjustable and blocked.
The neck is wide and mine needed fret dressing and the zero fret was also too high and adjusted accordingly.
I had a new scratch plate manufactured, after a gas soldering iron incident!! in Essex by the engraver that had done all the origonal pattern making/engraving in the late 50's onward, he's also done all the engraving on the Hank tribute guitar.The Marquee started out in the early 60's as another model as the template for the pick guard is the same as the modern version.
It's now a good guitar and plays well despite my small hands and wide neck, the wide radius is nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks for the description mate.

Again, I'm quite taken.

I'm not sure about about this, but Bernie used to play a guitar in Joy Division I always fancied. As it turned out in my local music shop in the small town I'm from, showed up in about 1984. I didn't get it and I've never seen one since. Just wondered if that was another Burns?

Bernie has a real primal sound on this one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QVc29bYIvCM