Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ocean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:19 pm 
Regular

Music journalist Jude Rogers who writes for the Guardian, Word Magazine, The New Statesman and others is doing an ace blog about the 50 songs that shaped her decade. It's all worth reading, but this entry is about The Ocean.

(Note: the person mentioned called Oliver happens to be me....)

http://50songs10years.blogspot.com/2009 ... -2005.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Very good :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:13 pm 
Regular

http://mrshepherdsdelight.blogspot.com/ ... -2009.html

I have also done a blog myself of my favourite albums of the year, Trueloves... is quite high up. Fans of Lady's Bridge may want to look away though, as I give is a bit of a slating. I quite liked it when it was released but now it doesn't stand up against Richard's other work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:24 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

flameboy wrote:
http://mrshepherdsdelight.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-favourite-albums-of-2009.html

I have also done a blog myself of my favourite albums of the year, Trueloves... is quite high up. Fans of Lady's Bridge may want to look away though, as I give is a bit of a slating. I quite liked it when it was released but now it doesn't stand up against Richard's other work.

Makes last album ‘Lady’s Bridge’ look like a load of old rubbish. Which it was.

:eh?

What a load of bollocks, personally I think Lady's Bridge is the better album, but each to their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

Now that's not at all fair - why should one album have to stand against another, Richard has previously said that was his "pop" type album - to me each album stands alone - after all they're all different and evolving in style.

If you liked the album when it came out and don't like it now then that's perhaps just your taste evolving - not merely that the album is "rubbish" - which I don't think it is - and neither do the thousands of people that bought it!!

Perhaps you should amend that blog to include the phrase "in my opinion" - still offensive but not as much!

Rant over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 am 
Regular

It's self evidently 'in my opinion' as I wrote it in an opinion piece. Me having different taste to other people doesn't mean I'm being offensive, that was certainly never the intention. I stand by what I said, Lady's Bridge is not as good as any of his other albums, but I posted the link to celebrate how good I thought 'Trueloves...' is rather than to upset people about Lady's Bridge. I'm sorting thinking I shouldn't have bothered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:21 am 
Hawleytastic!

critisism doesn't go down too well usually.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:45 am 
Hawleytastic!

Eeeee - the old Ramblas Barcelona in 2005 - full of bleedin tourists and scouse pickpockets - happy daze...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:17 am 
Regular

Each to their own when comparing and reviewing albums,but hey I have a soft spot for the wonderful 'Lady's Bridge'.Was about the time I first heard and fell in love with Richards music,was also at this time that I met and fell in love with a special lady in my life,we are soon to be married, our first dance is to be with the lovely song 'valentine' Lady's bridge will always be special to me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:00 am 
Regular

Thanks for a measured response, Tom, and congratulations to you and your fiance. I like the song Valentine as well and it wil make a lovely first dance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm 
The Boss

hardly the most eloquent of reviews but you are totally entitled to your opinion however i think you are wrong and i am entitled to say that as well :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:53 pm 
Regular

Thanks for the response , Richard, I'm just one person who happens to think that one of your albums isn't as good as the others.I've been a big fan of your work since the very start and I think it's the weakest album. If I was going to re-write my blog (which I think is quite eloquently written) I might say something like 'Which it is in comparison.' The whole point of writing the blog was to talk about the music that I enjoyed last year and I hope that alongside thinking I'm wring about Lady's Bridge that you are pleased that I enjoyed Truelove's Gutter so much.

I kind of regret posting this on here, I didn't intend to cause any offense, I was just trying to promote my new blog.

Wishing everyone a happy new year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:32 pm 
The Boss

no offense taken mate,like i said you are entitled to your opinion and i mean it i just don't agree.All i will add that in retrospect i think Lady's bridge is the most"straight"of any of my work and is the most"populist"which probably goes a long way to explaining why it was also the most successful of any of my albums in terms of sales by a long long way.It also explains why i decided to go completely in a new direction with the last one........its all a bag of old arse anyway...new.one??????________you like it.......Last one?????????__________you don't..........whatever.........happy new year and good look with your blogging.....i have for one haven't got"the blog on"with you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:11 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I was listening to LB on me Ipod before work and I blooming love it, didn't want to start work :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:50 pm 
Regular

Thanks for such a nice reply, Richard, you didn't have to do that and it shows what a top bloke you are. By the way, I quite like straight and populist stuff; Coles Corner is probably straighter and more populist than most of your other stuff, and I love that record. If I have time (I write this with my one month old daughter on my shoulder) to put together my favourite albums of the decade it will be in the top ten, almost certainly top five.