All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I'm not sure I'm brave enough :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

I've still got my B.F.P.O. letters (or blueys as they were called) from all over, Falklands, Germany, Belize, Gibraltar, NI, etc etc. before that internet was invented.

Stowed away in the attic, but like to peruse them now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Yeah...my boy & I write letters..he 'writes'...a mass of random 'letters' & scibbles,I address the envelopes and together we go to the village to post them..he gets a huge buzz out of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Marie Happe wrote:
Has anyone read 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hannfe (i think)? - such a lovely book about letter writing.

That book is on my 'favourites never to be thrown away' shelf. It is so poignant yet so simple. It was made into a film starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins (in the late 80's I think). The film did justice to the book too.

I still write letters and always write with a fountain pen, but disagree with Richard regarding the value of e-greetings and emails for special occasions. Sometimes, e.g. if someone is travelling or you can't find their address, an e-greeting is useful and better than forgetting or ignoring someone on a special occasion. I work for one of the world's most environmentally conscious companies and we are encouraged to use electronic communication wherever possible - I'll still be using my fountain pen though (even if it scratches the screen) :wink:

Last edited by Jan H on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Reading this thread has just reminded me of a whole bunch of old postcards I once found in a loft. They dated to around 1904-05 and were romantic notes sent between lovers.

Many years ago, my wife spent some time putting them in order as best she could, by the date stamped on them. We then sat down and read them in chronological order. The couple met at a New Year dance in Leicester and saw each other regularly until she went travelling. Needless to say, some of the cards are from destinations all around the world.

The story is incomplete though; I like to think that this is probably because I do not have them all. I wonder if they ever settled down and married?

I still have them stored in a photo album soemwhere in a cupboard.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Steve Lane wrote:
Reading this thread has just reminded me of a whole bunch of old postcards I once found in a loft. They dated to around 1904-05 and were romantic notes sent between lovers.

Many years ago, my wife spent some time putting them in order as best she could, by the date stamped on them. We then sat down and read them in chronological order. The couple met at a New Year dance in Leicester and saw each other regularly until she went travelling. Needless to say, some of the cards are from destinations all around the world.

The story is incomplete though; I like to think that this is probably because I do not have them all. I wonder if they ever settled down and married?

I still have them stored in a photo album soemwhere in a cupboard.

Cheers, Steve.

Wow how fascinating...........they would maybe weave a nice story for a song or book............with maybe the incomplete bit being filled in by the imagination.......... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lovely story, Bradford Lass -

The last written message I got was on a post-it note and it said "can you pick up my shirt at the dry cleaners when you go for your dress?" Not very romantic is it?

It's a beautiful song, btw