Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:41 am 
Too much time on my hands

Just reading a rather scathing Guardian review of Trueloves gutter, (load of rubbish) but one quote struck me

'there's even a song about hand-writing a love letter by firelight - who does that any more?'

This song always reminds me of my fella, because when he and i met I wasn't interested initially and I held the poor guy at arms length for months but he persisted and wrote to me (he lives miles away in Kent) the most beautiful letters. I haven't burnt any of the by the way, I've kept them all and they are tied up with ribbon and kept in a special box somewhere safe.
Does anyone else still put pen to paper and write or has it gone completely out the window to be replaced by e-mailing texting and tweeting? (My man works in I.T so he could and does do all of these things but I'm so glad he takes the time to write as well)

He still writes to me, several times a week, sometimes a quick note, dashed off while he is commuting from his home to London where he works, oft times a card he's seen that he spotted and it made him think of me. I love receiving his missives and think there's something really special about receiving something tangible that you take out and re-read and keep for posterity. I like the thought of my granchildren finding them after I've gone and it being a little piece of history.

There's something really old-fashioned and romantic about getting a proper letter, it's lovely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am 
The Boss

what review i thought they liked it?was it a new one? :shock:

nice story you should keep your letters i keep all mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:52 am 

some journo called Maddy Costa?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/se ... ves-gutter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yes, there is something very special about receiving a hand-written letter. They take effort, time and thought and are very personal. Everything else pales against a hand-written letter.

Sadly, we are losing the skill of letter writing. Personally, I have never been a neat hand-writer and now my spelling skills are sadly wanting with the advent of spellchecker. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 am 
The Boss

Bradford Lass wrote:

oh i remember that one,then she goes on to give it four out of five stars after slagging it off?Image :eh?

Whatever

anyway,yes letters,love em,i love postcards too,i HATE e-mail cards or e-mail letters on special days i would rather they didn't bother to spend that four seconds thinking about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
Bradford Lass wrote:

oh i remember that one,then she goes on to give it four out of five stars after slagging it off?Image :eh?

Whatever

What does she know. We love it and so many many others. You don't win best album by fluke!!

I agree I love to receive letters. And I find it much easier to express myself in a letter. I just get all angry or tearful and tongue tied if I try it explain how I feel face to face. I really wish I could write poetry but I am useless at it. Anyway letters, especially hand written ones are special, someone has taken the time to think about you, what they want to say and how they want to say it.

anyway,yes letters,love em,i love postcards too,i HATE e-mail cards or e-mail letters on special days i would rather they didn't bother to spend that four seconds thinking about it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We recently read some letters from an ancestor of ours to the girl he was going to marry....this was in the 1800's and they were fascinating..... they had not done any "courting" and he was trying to get her to meet him at a hotel so that they could spend some time alone....she had saved all his letters and they had been passed on....but we don't have any from her to him....so we don't know if she went to the assignation.....this was in New Zealand and we were there last month following this up....the hotel was demolished just last year! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm 

presumably Ms Costa ate a big plate of words the day the list of recipients for the Mojo awards was announced :tongue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 pm 

jean wrote:
We recently read some letters from an ancestor of ours to the girl he was going to marry....this was in the 1800's and they were fascinating..... they had not done any "courting" and he was trying to get her to meet him at a hotel so that they could spend some time alone....she had saved all his letters and they had been passed on....but we don't have any from her to him....so we don't know if she went to the assignation.....this was in New Zealand and we were there last month following this up....the hotel was demolished just last year! :cry:

that's lovely Jean, that's exactly what I mean, you won't find someone in years to come pouring over a load of old text messages or e-mails, they just vanish into cyberspace.
I just counted all Alex's letters, I've had nearly 50 in 7 months!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:50 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I know what you mean...I have a collection of old postcards that belonged to my grandma dating back to early 1900's, all her sisters were in service and sent regular communications to the family at home. I love reading the messages on the back. There's also some to my grandma from a man signed E but my grandad's name was Sid....wonder what happened to him?
You are lucky to have all your lovely romantic letters BLass, and Jean's love letters sound facinating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:54 pm 

Bring back letter writing - so romantic. My brother has all the letters my sister and I wrote as kids - we would be sent off to Ireland from London in the summer hols to stay with an auntie in the country and I would miss my mum and dad so much I wrote to them every other day! It is lovely to peruse them now, though, and we do laugh about what we wrote back then! I also have my dad's beautiful hand written poems to my mum written in green ink, a bit bedraggled and dogeared now, but they are love letters - it is so warming to snuggle up on the sofa on a cold winter's evening and read them again and again and marvel at the heartfelt words telling her how he felt - they make us laugh and they make us cry and it is just like he is still with us. It is all about the time taken to put pen to paper and I think it would serve us all well to take a bit more time nowadays - trouble is we live in such an 'instant' world now! Has anyone read 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hannfe (i think)? - such a lovely book about letter writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:27 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I absolutely agree, there's nothing like receiving a letter. And I really enjoy writing them. I prefer to write by hand, but my hand writing is a bit hard to understand :roll: So if it's a long letter I'll type it. I still have a typewriter, which I find quicker than fiddling about with the printer etc.

I like to keep diaries too. That sounds a bit naff, but not the kind of ''Dear Diary, the sun came out today...'' Just a notebook that I mull things over in, remind myself to change the engine oil etc. You can work out a whole lot of things like that.

I heard on the radio only today, that kids aren't learning to do joined up writing like they used to, becsause of typing & texting :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

they can't even read the bloody alphabet lofty. you wouldn't believe how many we'e got that can't do that or read or write.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:51 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

That is actually quite worrying :pale:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

christ knows what primary schools are doing these days. at least in our area. i'd love to take you all around our place or at least show you a hidden video!