Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 pm 
I need a life

ok, it's just finished my first listen to the new album.......and.............i wanna play on my stereo Truelove's Gutter......what does it means?

....maybe it's just the first listen...... :|

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:15 pm 
Newcomer

When playing this album it is the first time I have seen my 2 young kids so eager to air guitar and play air drums. Vinyl and cd both great masters but vinyl for me for the guitar sound...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Got the lp yesterday and have listened lots since it arrived. When I first heard Leave Your Body Behind You I immediately thought there was something Beatles about it but in a very abstract way and taking the colours from the edges - like the guitar at the end of Strawberry Fields, McCartney's more inventive bass playing and his guitar on Taxman. I mean that all entirely as a compliment and don't see any pastiche in there rather an exploration of the soundscape whilst still holding a tune. The drums at times have the feel of Terry Cox (Pentangle) and there is a theme which connects folk imagery with a modern sensibility. There is clearly a reflection on life, death and love and a religious or quasi religious exploration of how we interact with the world around us - perhaps the best lyrics of Mr Hawley. There are echoes of the first two lps, maybe in the vocals particularly. Silver Apples ricochet across the record.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 pm 
Newcomer

I think the new album is simply fantastic, though I've been unable to buy it anywhere in York as it sold out in HMV & we lack a proper record shop here, am waiting til I can pick it up at a proper independent (am up in Edinburgh tomorrow so will get it then) rather than buying online but in the meantime have listened to it about 200 times via the net.

Favourite bits for me as when Leave your body behind you kicks in after Wood Colliers Grave, and Down in the Woods which is a tune and a half. Absolutely fantastic album and I think a really positive change in direction.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Montague Withnail wrote:
(am up in Edinburgh tomorrow so will get it then) rather than buying online but in the meantime have listened to it about 200 times via the net.

Bring your sunscreen Monty - it's hot up here!! <*>

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:33 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Deffo my fave of all the Hawley albums now, every song offers something different each time you listen.

I can see how some think it will grow on them in time, pretty sure it will.

Question - is that a Wah Wah pedal effect used on 'She Brings The Sunlight'?

Answers on a postcard...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:06 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

gary#2 wrote:
I can see how some think it will grow on them in time, pretty sure it will.

I'm already there. I simply don't feel like listening to anything else. As usual, my favourite song/moment changes every day, but I've been hooked for a couple of days now on the entrance of all those guitars after the quiet part in "Before". I'd love to hear that live.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 pm 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Time Will Bring You Winter. My song for the summer :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:10 pm 
I need a life

now......after several listens i can say that's really a great album. of course i had to wait because the first listen has been traumatic about the new sound direction....but now it has grown on me and i can't stop listening to it. by car is amazing....and for now my favourites songs are Standing On The Sky's Edge, Seek It, Leave Your Body Behind You and Before.
so...thank you Richard for another beautiful album. now i can't wait to hear the new songs live.....can't wait for London........

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I am totally bewitched at the moment by 'Before'. The change in tempo and sound, and the tender break in Richard's voice on the penultimate 'before' makes my heart lurch. Is it a song about the loss of a loved one, or a fresh start, who knows but Richard, but I love it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It has passed the test of playing through my earphones whilst getting a wee bit blootered!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

'Don't Stare At The Sun'. What a track. ..>

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I haven't got a favourite track yet, but love it all and can't wait to hear it live.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Prudence wrote:
I am totally bewitched at the moment by 'Before'. The change in tempo and sound, and the tender break in Richard's voice on the penultimate 'before' makes my heart lurch. Is it a song about the loss of a loved one, or a fresh start, who knows but Richard, but I love it.

John Trier's rocket noises ... :D ..>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

If you buy the album in Fopp you get a free poster. Went in there yesterday and saw a little notice advertising the fact.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next