Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Song books
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'd love a book thats absolutely authtentic. I'd would love to see exactly how you and shez play them. A simplified version would not interest me personally. The tabalature for both guitar parts would be brill. ..>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

carlh wrote:
I'd love a book thats absolutely authtentic. I'd would love to see exactly how you and shez play them. A simplified version would not interest me personally. The tabalature for both guitar parts would be brill. ..>

I'd also love this (although I would be interested in the simplified version, too). I'd probably never get to the page with both tablatures, being stuck in that with the chords, but having them would certainly not deter me from buying the book (I'd even prefer it). I'm not scared of tabs, and I cannot see why anyone should be. Having all, one can choose what to use or not to use.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:34 am 
Regular

I would be really interested, it's always nice to know the artist has had their own input...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:21 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'd also love an authentic book. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 pm 
Newcomer

I'd prefer accurate transcriptions myself. As a suggestion how about each song having lyrics and chords on one page then more detailed stuff following? Best of both worlds etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I'd love a book! It would inspire me to play more. If publishing and distribution is too complex, this might be a good use of a PDF download from the online shop, but of course we'd love a glossy book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm 
Regular poster

A songbook would be fab!

Personally I would prefer a basic chord book as this gets the basics sorted, but then I am just a strum along and sing in my head (and may be hum out loud) musician rather than a tribute act. I find tab books that seek to recreate the actual guitar solo heard on record to be a bit pointless. That may be down to my lack of expertise of course. I remember hearing that when Steely Dan reformed they had to find a songbook to relearn their back catalogue and quickly discovered that the chords were wrong. I am not sure how songbooks are written or whether the artist normally has an input but personally I would like to know if the chord is an open chord or a bar chord played at the 4th fret or if a capo is used on the 2nd fret. Giving the open tuning is not that useful and I imagine most guitarists will use a short cut rather than jumping from one impossible chord shape to the next (even if they can).

Is it about time this thread morphed into a "What Songs Would You Like To See In The New Richard Hawley Song Book?

My top three would be;

Don't Stare at the Sun
For Your Lover
...and something older like Bad Sign or The Ocean.

But I could have chosen many more so I'm not going to argue about it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 pm 
Regular

Did this discussion lead to anything yet? I would love a chord book - lyrics and tab... I can't play by ear so am limited by what others have transcribed. The old thread on here of guitar tabs is useful though. Any chance of a book Richard? I'd rather be playing your stuff than the Damien Rice tracks my guitar teacher keeps trying to make me learn... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just caught up with this - I have a specific "song" need as I don't play a guitar or keyboard, but if this was available I would invest anyway. Are you guys saying that individual songs are available - if so could you please point me in the right direction ? (Open up your Door particularly)
Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 am 
Regular poster

Richard Hawley wrote:
I've been thinking about this a bit lately,the way I'd do it would be very simple,just the chords and lyrics in an easy to understand way does that seem about right to anyone who's interested?I'd hate to make it too posh/high brow they are after all the simplest songs on the whole to play,I can get a bit flash now and again with the twiddly bits but the basic chords are pretty simple and I'd like to keep the presentation of these humble little tunes in accordance with that philosophy let me know how YOU feel about I do listen folks :mrgreen:

As Christmas is coming :D a hopeful bounce for this topic just in case it is still in the pipeline.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..> ..> ..>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:06 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Oh yeah! 8)