Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2001 Mini Album
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm 
Regular

I must admit that I had completely overlooked this until I spotted it at the Pocklington gig.

Anyhow, I have just acquired a copy and it's stupendous stuff - I much prefer it to 'Standing' as it's quite ballad laden

If you don't have it, it is a must buy!!!!

I guess that it has been covered elsewhere on the forum but what do others reckon to it?

Post subject: Re: 2001 Mini Album
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Yes, I have both the mini (7 track) and the later, extended, 11 track 'Richard Hawley' album and play it regularly. Whilst I'm sure the album was produced within a tight budget and timescale - and Richard may have now moved on musically - all tracks remain quality, highly listenable songs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

True - but they say strength is in diversity - and Standing is a class album.

Yep - I had the 11 track on the car CD for about a year - but now I'm on Lowedges after three months of Standing...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 am 
The Boss

if you stand still you don't grow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:03 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
if you stand still you don't grow

If you're the right age, say below 20, it's a matter of standing still for long enough, isn't it? :)

Now seriously, I love the mini-album (I've got the extended version). Honestly, I thought it'd be more obvious that it had been made by a guitarist that had gone solo, but I was glad it wasn't so. Of course, I already knew Richard had ended up being a great singer and composer, but I wondered whether he had been so from the start. And I don't think there's one weak song in the mini-album, which is a great way to get started.

I don't mind change, as long as the result is at least as good as what there was before. When I first heard 'Standing at the Sky's Edge', I thought it very different from the only other album I knew by then, 'Lady's Bridge'. But if I had first heard 'Lady's Bridge' knowing only the mini-album, it would have seemed very different to me, too.

My favourite track at present is 'Happy Families'. By the way, what's the reason for the use of the same lyrics in that and 'Bang to Rights'? Just a matter of having some good lines, wanting to know what melody suited them best, and finally deciding both were good enough to keep them? Was it done on purpose? Or did you forget you'd already used them in another song? :*:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am 
Too much time on my hands

Poppy Dog wrote:
True - but they say strength is in diversity - and Standing is a class album.

Yep - I had the 11 track on the car CD for about a year - but now I'm on Lowedges after three months of Standing...

I have got all the albums in my car and on my iPod and I am just the same. I tend to listen to one album for a long time and then for no apparent reason need a change. I'm on Lady's Bridge at the moment. Hadn't listened to that for about a year. I went from Standing when it was first released to Truelove's to LB. All very different which is why it is so great to keep changing. If albums from the same artist are all very similar you might as well listen to just one. Which is usually the first one you bought. I suppose if they are different then there will be some you like more than others but that's a risk every musician has to take and in the end they have to be true to themselves rather than trying to please all the people all the time (which isn't possible). I'm rambling now. Suffice to say I like all the albums and my favourite is the one I feel like playing at the time. Which means I haven't got an all time favourite. Still rambling - sorry. I'll shut up now and go and do some work......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 pm 
Regular

Hmm, hey Richard no offence intended!!

It's just that I came into your world from initially hearing your slower songs despite the fact that I was actually brought up listening to noisy and hairy rock.

I really liked the live performances of the 'Standing' items when you played at the Rock & Roll Capital of Yorkshire. BTW my errant daughter likes 'Standing' though she is a bit of an Indie Rocker.

Anyway I now need to get my mitts on the 11 track version of your first opus.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:09 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Just thought I would add that 'Naked in Pitsmoor' is one of my all time favourite RH songs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:42 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Lou wrote:
Just thought I would add that 'Naked in Pitsmoor' is one of my all time favourite RH songs.

I LOVE this song too Lou, one of my absolute favourites. I think the lyrics are really powerful, id love to know what its about. I always think the song sounds like Richard is singing about going through some sort of terrible withdrawal.. a woman, drugs, both?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:27 am 
Regular

I absolutely love 'em all!

Personally, I'm mega excited to hear what the next one sounds like...
I can't stand artists that find a niche, and stick to it... It gets boring! You gotta keep it fresh, there's a whole world of music out there, just waiting to be discovered by people...

My iPod is crammed with stuff from brass bands to dixieland jazz to bagpipe music to blues... Variety is the spice of life, and in music variety is the absolute key!!!

Keep 'em coming Richard!!!

Stu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes that one was my Hawley discovery album and, along with Lowedges and Lady's Bridge remains among my favourites. I 'got' Standing the first time I heard it live. It's been a long journey with varied musical scenery! :D