Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I like the album as much as fish finger sandwiches with ketchup, so that's a lot.

(with batter not breadcrumbs) :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Anxiously awaiting the mail. :-) The Guardian is understandably no longer streaming the full album, just snippets now, so I can't listen to it anymore. And I refuse to buy it on iTunes when a download card is forthcoming with the vinyl. :roll: Blargh!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Finally. :)

https://instagram.com/p/778M6LinZN/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:51 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Shit video sound, but trust me. It sounds like melted chocolate. :-)

https://instagram.com/p/778zhFinbT/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:55 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Beautiful album, thank you Richard.
I got it from my sister on my birthday and her kids - my gorgeous 5 year old nephew and 4 year old niece - 'helped' me rip off the wrapping paper.
When the poster fell out of the package I commented that I was a little old to be putting posters on my wall and said they could have it if they wanted.
You are now blu-tacked to a 4yr old girl's bedroom wall in Surrey in the illustrious company of Anna & Elsa from Frozen and as may other Disney princesses as you care to mention. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:56 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Uh oh.

Three distinct Hollow Meadows tattoo designs came to me today, out of nowhere. I've got them sketched and I have a favorite and I really want it.

And why look, it's just about time for some more fresh ink. Once you start, you can't stop, you know.

That's ridiculous! First things first. I'll just put them in the queue behind my other designs. Yes, that's what I'll do. I've already got too many other ideas that need to get done first. It's hard enough choosing what to do next without new, shiny ideas slowing down the process.

Or maybe I'll make an appointment for a Hollow Meadows session this weekend.

No! Help! Stop me!!

...IF YOU CAN. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:44 am 
The Boss

An Eastern European girl delivered some wood for winter to ours last week she had a beautiful tattoo of a seagulls wing on her inner forearm .....she let me take a picture, she loaded all the wood on her own didn't want any help she was ace, never had a tattoo as I think life tends to give you it's own scars but the wings thing is tempting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
.......never had a tattoo as I think life tends to give you it's own scars

That's a song lyric.....right there. ..>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

A couple of years ago, I gave in to the marketing lies and took the kids to Butlins in Bognor. Hideous, money-grabbing, depressing, shithole but, when queuing up for the waterslide, my boy did say: "Mum, you the only person here who doesn't have a tattoo." After a couple of days, I came to the conclusion that he was right. Now, you know me, I'm not a snob, I am a working class woman, all my sisters and brothers have tattoos, as do their children and most of my friends. But, what I don't get is how fucking pointless a lot of them are – names of your wife, children, mother, hometown, football club – I get all those. But what's the celtic writing thing? Or Tinkerbell, with stars coming out of her wand. In fact, Disney characters full stop. Or Hebrew scripture? I think tattoos can be beautiful but, as you say, my caesarian scars are enough for me...x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:51 pm 
The Boss

Nowt wrong with tattoos but it was never for me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I only got my first tattoo two years ago when I was 44! :) I waited because it had to be something that I really, really wanted. Something that would inspire me every time I looked at it. And over time a lot of ideas occurred to me, but I was always waffling back-and-forth, so I just thought, I'll know what to get when I know what to get. I didn't want to get a tattoo just for the sake of having one, I wanted it to be highly personal and meaningful. I didn't want something common or trite, or that would become outdated, and NO. Tramp stamps. EVER. :) I've watched a lot of friends get tattoos over the years, and sometimes they tried to drag me along to get one, but I just wasn't ready. And I was fine with the idea of never getting one at all, if that's how it worked out.

I could always appreciate a lot of the artistry and thoughtfulness people put into their work, and beauty of the designs and colors. But let's face it, there are some jacked up tattoos out there. Another reason I hadn't gotten one was because I've had a couple of lengthy professions working with the public where it would've been really frowned upon, and would have very likely been detrimental to me in a real way. Times have changed and now there's so much less stigma, which is cool, but at the time it would not have worked for me. :-)

It's true, life is painful enough without bringing more into it. I've had a lot of pain and I have a lot of scars. I'm no goody two shoes, and I'm in no place to judge how anyone chooses to live their lives--life is different for everyone, and everyone has their coping mechanisms. But just for me, I think the reason I never truly allowed myself to slip into substance-abuse was that somehow, even when I was very young, and even through all of the pain, I just knew that doing so would only serve to make things worse. I don't know how I knew that, but I did.

I understand self-medicating, though. I've watched it many times up close. And I won't say it wasn't tempting to give into it sometimes. But I just kept thinking, it's not going to help, it's piling problems on top of problems. That doesn't make me morally better than anybody who has struggled with it, and I don't look down on anyone who has. It's just how it worked out for me.

However. So much shit has gone down in my life, and a lot of it would have (and has) killed some people. There's been plenty of times when I was absolutely convinced that it would kill me. All my life people have told me I'm stronger than I know. I never felt that way, but it has slowly dawned on me that they may be right. There's no way I'd be here otherwise.

But you can only carry around so much for so long. Things become so hard to bear; they get heavy, and you need to put them down. So a few years ago, I was carrying way too much and I was in a very bad place. There had been so much cumulative damage, and I did not have the tools in my toolbox to fix it. It was really bad. Things came to a head and I had to make a decision whether to keep going or stop altogether.

And that's when a favorite song lyric struck me: "Carry on/It's a marathon." That had always stuck with me, and right then when I needed it the most, it just clicked. That was the tattoo I had been wanting, without a doubt. It's on the inside of my forearms where I can look at it every day. It's a positive reminder for me of my overcoming so much pain, and serves as a gentle reminder to pace myself, to take it easy, but no matter what, to keep going. That I do have the strength.

Getting that tattoo was a great decision. I found it to be cathartic, and as a result, it has made me much more open to other tattoo possibilities. It hasn't exactly opened the ink floodgates, but now that I work for myself, from home, in a freer, much more artistic way, I feel like fuck it, I'll do what I want. :-) And of course, that thing that comes with aging where you no longer give a shit what people think. That helps too.

I've always been enamored of, and have often reminded myself of, the possibilities and truth of "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow." As a sentiment, I think it goes hand-in-hand with my first tattoo, actually. Some guy reworded that and put in a song recently, or so I hear. Anyway, it makes me think of strength and patience, growth and potential. Making something huge from very little. And to never again underestimate my own capabilities to do so, nor to allow others to underestimate me (I can't tell you what a theme that has been in my life). It really reflects where I'm at right now. Sooooooo. That sure might happen. :)

Also I dig oak trees and acorns. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:50 pm 
I need a life

i love tattoos...

have 4 tattoos 8) and i looove them

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sailors apart, tattoos used to signify a 'non conformist' lifestyle. My daughter (28) says that SHE is the rebel amongst her peers these days by NOT having a tattoo!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:34 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I have a few tattoos, all in the Old School style. Love them all ..>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I was driving through Sheffield listening to the new album (loving it) and 'the world looks down' was playing. A young bloke stepped out into the road without looking and I had to slam my breaks on to avoid hitting him. He was looking down at his phone. How apt. x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next