Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Louise
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I have a copy of the Album Richard/Colin produced for Tony Christie and although I have listened to it several times I can’t get passed the fact that Tony sounds like an aging club singer. Some, but, not all singers of a certain vintage seem to lose their singing voices e.g. Martha Reeves and Carly Simon – two of my favourites from days long passed. Perhaps Tony should have made the record 10 years earlier?
The album - which has some great songs, arrangements and production - did, however, bring my attention to the wonderful Human League song “Louise”. This set me thinking wouldn’t it be fantastic if Phil Oakey recorded the song using Richard and Colin’s arrangement? With Richard apparently a dog walking companion of Phil could this just happen?

Post subject: Re: Louise
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

tony said at the time that he was using a different part of his voice for this album, and having seen him with richard at the albert hall, i can assure you he has lost nothing in his voice in the slightest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

When he came out at the RAH and did Danger is a Woman in Love the power was definitely there. Also saw his Cadogan Hall gig with the RH band members supporting and it was spot on.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:49 pm 
The Boss

Tony is STILL the greatest.i can vouch for that age hasn't shrunk his vast tonal range or ability to sing any note he chooses....id get your hearing aid checked sounds like it's got a fault

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I love this album. Haven't listened to it for a while though, so might dust it off. Love the song Shez wrote 'Perfect Moon'. Saw a live gig with the Hawley Band backing Tony. It was great but not packed, deserved to be more gigs for that record and better attended.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So it’s just me then? I bought it in blind faith and really did want to like Tony’s album but his voice, I guess, is just not for me.
Do I need to get my ears tested? Yes I probably do as someone in the upper-age quartile of the Hawley fan base I am obviously very old. However, I thought Mary Waterson and Richard and the band sounded fantastic in York last night but I could be wrong ......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:21 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It is a fantastic album (except Coles Corner which I haven't listened to so can't comment, no RH covers are acceptable to me!).

The gig I went to was fabulous and it really upset me that the fans who were there were so dismissive of the new material, all they wanted was the old stuff. The tour was to launch the album which they well knew, TC isn't in the business of greatest hits tours just yet. The tour was cut short and that was it, after so much passion and effort by TC, Richard and the guys it just faded. Criminal!

I just wanted to give the guy a big hug, I feel so sorry for him, that this album was so under-appreciated by his so called fans. Guess he is in good company though, Elvis had the same thing with You'll Never Walk Alone, after putting his soul and every ounce of passion into it, gives me goosebumps when hearing the song, but upsets me that he was upset by the fans' reaction. Perhaps I'm too soft.

Still, glad TC is still going strong :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:32 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I must say I loved Tony's album. And I was left awestruck by Danger Is A Woman In Love at the RAH - absolutely mighty. As Richard said at the time ''How do I follow that?'' :wink: ..> Maybe your ears were having a bit of an off day. LPD :alien:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:27 pm 
The Boss

Everyone's entitled to their opinion I guess I'm severely biased Tony is very dear to me and I put my very being into that album my fave is the Arctic monkeys choon,I have lovely memories of Alex calling me after he and his mum shared headphones to hear it for the first time on a train together .....I think Tony is a truly great artist that's all....folks X

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My last word on this! I listened to Tony's version "Louise" today and even viewed the official video on YouTube this afternoon and I must say I was more impressed this time around.
Tony was brave in making this album which must have way out of his comfort zone at the time and clearly too much for his fan-base. You have to give him credit for that.
I know he was very proud of what he achieved with Made in Sheffield and I felt a bit sorry for him not long after it was released. He appeared on some daytime TV programme with Philip Schofield and Tony tried to tell him about his latest album made with RH but all they wanted him to do was stand outside the studio in front of the Thames and mime to Amarillo. :(

Anyway, the point of my original post was not really about Tony but a wish to hear Phil Oakey sing Louise using Richard's production. Even old scrotes like me like to have a fantasy now and then! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I love his version of Louise, it's much better than the original. It's a song That never really interested me as I wasn't really much of a fan of that 80s electronic stuff but I think it's beautiful, and I like his Coles Corner cover too. Xx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:56 pm 
Too much time on my hands

My dad loved Tony's Coles Corner cover and preferred it to Richard's. I liked Tony's but preferred Richard's original. It's all a matter of taste! x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:18 am 
Hawleytastic!

Nothing wrong with a cover version, Lou Lou. Makes you hear things you didn't pick up sometimes and music appreciation is totally subjective, as you say. I like Tony's Coles Corner cover as it is quite a melancholy song and I think that suits his voice.

As for the Human League, I wouldn't have listened to them voluntarily. They remind me of the awkwardness of being 15. Of bad school discos, teenage traumas and life as an uncool, podgy wallflower.

So only really discovered that Louise is a lovely song through the cover. Reminds me a bit of weller's Time Passes. The wistful affection for past lovers. Not that I have that. Mine were all bad boys, losers or had huge... Nothing to leave me wistful, just glad/ashamed/bored...!!!

We should do a covers game. Robert Elms, who is a lovely boy, does a slot on his show called Cover to Cover where he plays off two versions against each other and you get to vote which one you want. Think he did Louise and Tony won it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

all I can say is the original poster must have been fortunate enough during his lifetime to have been exposed to a very great quality of club singer if that is the comparison they choose to make. Probably the best vocal on that record too as it goes...

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:41 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Actually, there are some very good club singers out there (or there were, when there were clubs which are now virtually facing extinction). I would think quite a few more well known singers/musicians/comedians cut their teeth in the clubs. Perhaps Tony was one them? I don't know his history. Just my feeble attempt to stand up for club singers rather than any comment on Tony Christie.

As for covers, I like playing that game Helen. The obvious one that springs to mind is Joe Cocker's With a Little Help from my Friends easily eclipsing the Beatle's version (in my opinion).