Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sgt. Pepper
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:01 am 
Regular

I see the Sgt. Pepper album has gone top of the pops fifty years on. I always felt this record over hyped-that's not to say it's rubbish, but there 4 tracks that should never have gone on which means none of it gels -it's a mish- mash of ideas and sounds.

I only learnt recently from a BBC doc that they were going to include Strawberry fields and Penny Lane on there.. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Sgt. Pepper
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 am 
The Boss

I think it's beautiful

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:46 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

The first record I ever bought with my own money was Revolver. I saw it on sale in the cutout bin in a department store, for some reason-- I was riding in the shopping cart and it caught my eye, and I begged my mom to stop and let me look at it. She probably let me get it because it was easier than listening to me carry on about it all the way home. :-) I was seven, and I had heard the Beatles plenty of times on the radio, but we didn't have any of their records. I still have it but I haven't been able to play it in decades, I wore it out. I started collecting their records and obsessing for months over each one, then I got ahold of Sgt. Pepper when I was nine, and that was all I listened to for a solid year. I was a latchkey kid and it was the 70s, so until somebody came home from work you were on your own. Mom worked second shift at the time, so this was hours of me running from the afternoon school bus into the living room, cranking the stereo as loud as it would go, and laying down on the floor with my head between the speakers with my eyes closed. When I wasn't playing it I was singing it around the house and driving mom crazy. It got into my bones, and made a profound and permanent impact. Then John Lennon died, and I couldn't bring myself to play it for years. But if you love that record you know it inside and out anyway, so you can call it up anytime inside your head. <*>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:29 am 
Regular

When I'm sixty four was about forty years out of date even then and a song John would never have dreamed of writing, Lovely Rita is annoying,the George Harrison song doesn't fit in at all I feel. Lennon admitted years later that Good Morning Good Morning was something he came up with to fill a gap and one of his worst ideas!.

Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite is very good on all levels and a Day in the Life remains a masterpiece.

...got that off my chest! ..>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 am 
Hawleytastic!

I love Good Morning Good Morning, McCartney's vicious guitar never fails me, the hypnotic bass on Fixing A Hole, Within You Without You grows on each hearing, the Sgt Pepper reprise is my preference and then there is A Day In The Life. Nevdr my favourite Beatles lp but always a piece of magic