Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground Breaking Albums
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

In another thread someone mentions Sergeant Pepper as one of those influential albums. What do others rate as being of that ilk.

I'll start with the Beach Boys Pet Sounds as supposedly Sergeant Pepper would not have been done without the influence from that.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:40 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

John Martyn's Solid Air - unique and completely individual album blending of jazz, folk and blues through a 3am ambience, creating the template for Martyn's career to date. Still sounds as distinctive, idiosyncratic and beautiful today as it did more than 30 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 pm 
Too much time on my hands

there's probably gonna be a lot who disagree with me but i think radiohead's the bends set the template for many modern guitar bands, it's impact (along with ok computer) has been substantial

myspace
website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

mine would be ' sign of the times' by 'prince'. it's got pop (you got the look, play in the sunshine), rock (i could never take the place of your man), dance (hot thing, housequake), ballads (slow love, adore) and of course social comment (sign of the times, the cross). not everyones cup of tea i'm sure but i like it. miles away from 'purple rain' 'parade' and '1999' prince had re-invented himself again and it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm 

I'm always baffled that a whole era of music is constantly bypassed by todays music media. Whatever music journo comes along, they always spout the same about the mid '60's onwards, or how nothing existed before Malcom McLarens foray into music management during 1976. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Psychedelia, garage, Jazz, Soul, Motown and Stax. But let's start to give credit to the more elder statesmen of rock music. So in that respect I nominate the following LPs. Sure, Elvis was more popular, but whilst he was being tamed by Tom Parker and R.C.A records during the same year, Gene Vincent was given, by Capitol records, a free run to sound positively electrifying and - most importantly for the time, dangerous. Very dangerous. The attitude is pure punk, yet the playing is virtuosic and Gene's performance is one of sheer intensity.

In an era of 'how much is that doggy in the window' and 'she wears red feathers' - these cut across England like a razor during '56 and '57. Got it first hand from my old man who bought them back in the day as an impressionable 17 year old. No one before had brought the sound of a fierce electric guitar to the masses in such a manner, or even the hint of casual sex ('Pretty Baby' - with the very deliberate lately-timed refrain of 'by the way what's your name?'.....)
Elvis had a little blues and country in him, but these two albums are very strange - it's hard to pin influences. Nothing before the summer of 1956 sounded like them. It's hard to determine where the hell songs like 'Cat Man' came from. Anyhow, i'm with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck etc.....on this one!

Ladies and gentlefolk! I present Gene Vincent and The BlueCaps first two LPs recorded in 1956.

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:56 am 
Hawleytastic!

Dylan's mid-60s trilogy.

Bringing It All Back Home/Highway61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quote:
mine would be ' sign of the times' by 'prince'. it's got pop (you got the look, play in the sunshine), rock (i could never take the place of your man), dance (hot thing, housequake), ballads (slow love, adore) and of course social comment (sign of the times, the cross). not everyones cup of tea i'm sure but i like it. miles away from 'purple rain' 'parade' and '1999' prince had re-invented himself again and it worked.

Aye it's a classic.

Anything by Hendrix, Funhouse by The Stooges, It Takes A Nation Of Millions by Public Enemy etc etc..

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:52 pm 
The Boss

Sir-Twangalot wrote:
I'm always baffled that a whole era of music is constantly bypassed by todays music media. Whatever music journo comes along, they always spout the same about the mid '60's onwards, or how nothing existed before Malcom McLarens foray into music management during 1976. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Psychedelia, garage, Jazz, Soul, Motown and Stax. But let's start to give credit to the more elder statesmen of rock music. So in that respect I nominate the following LPs. Sure, Elvis was more popular, but whilst he was being tamed by Tom Parker and R.C.A records during the same year, Gene Vincent was given, by Capitol records, a free run to sound positively electrifying and - most importantly for the time, dangerous. Very dangerous. The attitude is pure punk, yet the playing is virtuosic and Gene's performance is one of sheer intensity.

In an era of 'how much is that doggy in the window' and 'she wears red feathers' - these cut across England like a razor during '56 and '57. Got it first hand from my old man who bought them back in the day as an impressionable 17 year old. No one before had brought the sound of a fierce electric guitar to the masses in such a manner, or even the hint of casual sex ('Pretty Baby' - with the very deliberate lately-timed refrain of 'by the way what's your name?'.....)
Elvis had a little blues and country in him, but these two albums are very strange - it's hard to pin influences. Nothing before the summer of 1956 sounded like them. It's hard to determine where the hell songs like 'Cat Man' came from. Anyhow, i'm with Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck etc.....on this one!

Ladies and gentlefolk! I present Gene Vincent and The BlueCaps first two LPs recorded in 1956.

CORRECT X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

Sir Twangalot you are a star. (Though I'd maybe say Cat Man is straight out of Bo Diddley but that's no bad thing).

Gene's vocals are astonishing, he could really sing but he knew how to use his voice as an instrument as well, all those inflections, howls and screams just added to the sonic experience. Cliff Gallup's guitar playing is from another world. He brings in lots of jazzy be bop stuff yet still holds to a blues/country/rockabilly simplicity of sound (complexity of playing). And Gene then does sound exactly like what everyone who panicked about Bill Haley feared..lock up your daughters and be ready with your knife.

Think this has proved to be a constant influence on folk and rock music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:24 pm 

Aww thanks :clown:

Good point about Bo Diddley and Cat man.....although I think it's equal parts a fucked up mambo/tango/Bo Diddley!

I think the 2nd (right hand) LP is more full on - 'hold me, hug me, rock me'. What the fuck?! Imagine that coming on the radio straight after Eve Boswell's 'pickin' a chicken' :*:

I love Gene's performance on those tracks - he bellows into the mic until it distorts. Beautiful.

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:53 pm 
Regular poster

on a personal level the smiths and marr were a influence and luckily i found them with hatful of hollow. the years to come were never a dissapointment. nothing really floated my boat until the stone roses, which must have put guitars in the hands of a generation with melody and harmony (not nessecary vocally live) the only downside of marr and squires was, as an aspiring guitarist, they were so overlayered it became frustrating trying to replicate. i was brought up with the sounds of slim whitman, duane eddy and elvis. they are still on my fav playlists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm 
Regular poster

Got to agree with snapper on this one:

Another one of those records that is a cliche for a reason, it's just one of the most dynamic and exciting records ever made. It built on the works of The Sonics, The Monks etc to take rock and roll somewhere it had never been before. Compare it with the MC5's second LP, the leap the Stooges made with Fun House eclipsed everything that was going on around them.

Musc today would sure be a different place without it. Love it to death.

For my pick, it may not be a LP but Lonnie Donnegan's Rock Island Line, helped introduce the blues to a wider UK audience, gave musicans in the UK a model by which they could form their own groups and led to the explosion of basically every great band from the UK in the 60s.

And this:

The record that STILL sets the standard for every Soul album to this day. Some of the greatest backing tracks ever, supplied by members of the Booker T and the MGs, Issac Hayes and other Stax/Volt greats, and some of the greatest vocals ever. He outsings The Temptations, Sam Cooke, William Bell and Mick Jagger on versions of their tunes with a range,feeling and skill that remains unmatched.

Plus, just listen to the songs he wrote on it: Respect, Ole Man Trouble and I've Been Loving You Too Long.

The whole album is just one unbelievable package of magnificance.

As William Bell later sang, Otis WAS the king (of soul anyway 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hot Charity wrote:
Got to agree with snapper on this one:

Another one of those records that is a cliche for a reason, it's just one of the most dynamic and exciting records ever made. It built on the works of The Sonics, The Monks etc to take rock and roll somewhere it had never been before. Compare it with the MC5's second LP, the leap the Stooges made with Fun House eclipsed everything that was going on around them.

Musc today would sure be a different place without it. Love it to death.

Nice one - fun house is my favourite stooges album.

Hunky Dory by bowie is stunning, but in terms of impact Ziggy was his biggest..... I still think hunky dory is a better album though.

The Bends - Radiohead
Stone Roses
When The Music's Over - The Doors
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

LP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:35 pm 
Regular poster

Stupid of me to forget it, but seeing as Dawoodcock mentioned Pet Sounds being the major influence on Sgt. Pepper, than it should be mentioed that Rubber Soul was the main influence on Pet Sounds, the US version of it anyway.