Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm 
Newcomer

The New York Times called him "one of the most gifted singer-songwriters to emerge from the New York scene in years." His album “Streets Of New York” was hailed as “a platter for the ages” by UNCUT magazine. He has been called "a one-man Clash" (UNCUT) and his critically acclaimed albums have gotten rave reviews around the world. Bono, Lou Reed, Lucinda Williams, Jim Jarmusch, Adam Duritz and Little Steven are among those who have sung his praises.

Willie Nile is a songwriters’ songwriter and his live performances are legendary. He has toured across the U.S. opening for The Who at the personal request of the band and sang with Bruce Springsteen at Giant Stadium. Bruce recently joined Willie on stage in Asbury Park for Willie’s song “Heaven Help The Lonely”.

Last years’ House Of A Thousand Guitars has been called many, “the best album of his career”. “They don’t make ‘em like that anymore? Well, Willie Nile just did! FOUR STARS!” – The Philadelphia Inquirer

Now Willie has just completed a new album, The Innocent Ones, for River House Records. It was released in Europe on Oct 11th and the North American release announcement will be coming soon. The album contains 11 original songs and was produced in New York City by Willie, Frankie Lee, Stewart Lerman, Steuart Smith (lead guitarist of The Eagles) and Hirsh Gardner.

The title track refers to the innocent victims around the world of man’s inhumanity to man, whether through war, neglect or ignorance. And though a serious subject, Nile makes it an uplifting rock anthem. “It’s an album with a number of songs dedicated to the downtrodden, the forgotten, the outcasts, the hopeless, the innocent ones”, says Willie. I wanted something hopeful and upbeat. I wanted to fire a shot across the bow of Sorrow and say ‘O no you don’t. Not so fast.’ Life’s tough and there’s a world of injustice out there, yeah I know, but we can make it better. It can be done.”

In Willie’s words, “The opening song on the album, “Singin’ Bell” is a song about freedom, kind of like a Pete Seeger moment as seen through the eyes of Social Distortion and the Ramones.”

“The lead radio track, “One Guitar” is a song about what one guitar and one voice can do to help change the world,” says Nile. “In our lifetime we’ve seen a number of people who’ve done that, Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, the list goes on and I wanted to celebrate that idea. I still believe that a guitar, a voice and a good song can be a force for change and for good in this world whether it’s on a global stage or at a local level. I still believe in it.”

The reaction to the songs in live performance bears this out. Audiences all across Europe have given standing ovations to “One Guitar” when Willie plays it live. “For an unknown song to get that kind of reaction night after night is something I’ve ever seen before”, says Nile. Mike Peters, of the Alarm heard Willie sing it in Wales and said: “It’s the best song I’ve heard since “Rockin’ In The Free World.” The Alarm just recorded it on their new CD.

Over the years, the Buffalo, NY-born singer has recorded and performed with The Who, Ringo Starr, Lucinda Williams, Richard Thompson, Roger McGuinn, Levon Helm, The Pretenders, Counting Crows, Jakob Dylan, Rosanne Cash and many others.

Willie was born in Buffalo, NY, sings, plays guitar and piano, lives in New York City and has outstanding parking tickets in many states.
………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Some kind words about The Innocent Ones:

“Stunning!!...Album Of The Week!!” – BBC Scotland

“Greatest album yet!” – Net Rhythms

“Full of timeless songs…passionate…romantic…stupendous…one of the best American singer-songwriters of our time.” – JAM Magazine

“This record is amazing!!!! His best! Great sound and Production!!!! Stand out tracks: One Guitar, The Innocent Ones, Sideways Beautiful, Can’t Stay Home (Amazing!), My Little Girl, Topless Amateur”!!! – JESSE MALIN

“Some of the most powerful music to come out of the American scene…an absolute powerhouse on stage…I urge you to seek him out.” – MAVERICK

Some kind words about Willie Nile:

“Willie Nile is a great artist. If there was any justice in this world, I’d be opening up for him instead of him for me.” – Lucinda Williams

“Willie’s so good I can’t believe he’s not from New Jersey.” – Little Steven

“The impassioned voice, the sharp and soulful lyrics, the interesting shoes and large, Kramer-like hair which seems to grow thicker every year – Willie Nile brings it all into focus. Listen to this record.” – Graham Parker

Doors open 7.30 p.m.

Advance discount tickets on sale £9 from www.wegottickets.com/event/145401 or www.seetickets.comor www.ticketweb.co.uk or buy direct from www.boohoomusic.co.uk