Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 am 
Secretly Canadian

On Saturday March 28th, WagonWheel Presents… brings another fantastic triple bill to the Shakespeares stage. Tomorrow We Sail return as part of their latest tour after a fantastic Tramlines performance last year, we welcome back The Listeners following their stunning trio show in September, and finally set to release their long, long awaited second album, we’ll also be joined by Idiot Son. Advance tickets priced at £4 are available from http://www.wegottickets.com/event/302564 or entry on the night will be £5. Doors open 8pm.

***TOMORROW WE SAIL***

Tomorrow We Sail is a group of seven musicians, based in Leeds, UK. Formed in 2009 they have spent the past four years developing their sound into what is now a vast landscape of billowing, reverb-soaked guitars, orchestral strings, piano, organ and multi-layered vocals.

Folk, slowcore, neo-classicism, minimalism, ambience, and post-rock are all apparent in the vast and winding soundscapes Tomorrow We Sail create. The music is slow-burning, creeping quietly into consciousness, the sonic-terrain covered ensures the listener is held through a constantly moving orchestrated cavern of sound with earnest melodies and harmonies drifting and falling all around.

After self-releasing their debut EP, ‘The Common Fire’, in 2010, the band retreated back to their studio to further develop and refine their sound as their line-up evolved, enabling the band to incorporate an ever expanding roster of instruments. With the line-up solidified, the band released two singles, ‘The White Rose’ in November 2011, followed by ‘For Rosa’ in May 2012.

October 2012 saw Tomorrow We Sail embark on their first tour of the UK & EU, playing both headline shows and supports with bands such as Caspian, Last Harbour and Ef, culminating in an appearance at the The London International Festival of Exploratory Music at Kings Place.

Over the past three summers, Tomorrow We Sail have taken to the stage at festivals across the UK, including Kendal Calling, Tramlines, Sheep Music, Landed & Galtres, as well as contributing tracks to the independent feature film ‘Broken Roads’, released in September 2012 in cinemas across the US and winner of Best Motion Picture and Best Director at the American International Film Awards.

The band their debut album ‘For Those Who Caught the Sun in Flight’ in February 2014 on Gizeh Records.

We saw these guys for the first time at the Strangeforms festival in their native Leeds in April and to say they blew us away is an understatement. Combining old English folk vocals with strings driven post rock they were simply breathtaking.” The Guardian

http://www.tomorrowwesail.co.uk

***THE LISTENERS***

“Tell them I came, and no one answered. That I kept my word”

From ‘The Listeners’, by Walter de la Mare.

The Listeners is Emma Thorpe – on her own or with her collaborators. She sings in cinematic detail from a small town on the North Nottinghamshire borders.

Thorpe was born into music – her mother taught her to finger-pick, introducing her to the music of PJ Harvey, Sandy Denny, Susan Vega, Roy Harper and Bob Dylan along the way; Her father Kevin was well respected on the blues scene for his albums with Out Of The Blue; And her aunt managed Welsh psychedelic legends Man.

Despite this heritage Thorpe has shaped her own evocative sound. Sometimes wilfully naive, sometimes considered and precise – her choice of chords is particular and unusual and her finger-picking weaves a strange atmosphere – the likes of which you’d more likely find in a Lynch film or a novel by Bolano than in the sculpted folk of her inspirations. And like those who inspire her – Nick Cave, Patti Smith, William Blake, she loves to muse on nature & religion: God, the devil, good and evil, and like the Pre Raphaelite Brotherhood she tries to tell it like it is – to reveal both the beauty and the devastation of life: Red Dust portrays human insignificance under darkening skies; Dinner For One traces the fading past of a destroyed relationship; You wouldn’t think that it took years for Thorpe to accept her own arresting voice and lyrical vision. Time well spent in distillation perhaps: This is music that is close to the source. These are songs, born of tradition, alive in the present day, revealing & fragile, executed spare and sharp.

The Listeners were f*cking brilliant last nightRichard Hawley

Alternately gentle and dramatic… like PJ Harvey pissed off, unplugged and wearing a kaftan.” Music Mart

Stirring stuff…like Nico back from the grave for an autumn night’s campfire singalong, while their hushed mid-set tracks recall “Ocean of Noise” Arcade Fire.” This City

http://www.facebook.com/TheListenersMusic

***IDIOT SON***

Reticent would most probably best describe the Andy Thompson approach to live performance. Whilst his band IDIOT SON where conceived at the turn of the century, you could probably count on one hand the number of times they have been found outside of London and most probably on two within the City itself. Here they have graced the stage alongside Kurt Wagner, Wheat, the Webb Brothers, Cousteau, Mary Lorson, Cortney Tidwell, and most recently Band of Holy Joy.
The musical output is equally sporadic, one 7” single “Sunflowers” released in 2000, an album “Lummox” released in 2004 and the promise of a new album “Stibbington” for this year, these do have their champions for which Andy and IDIOT SON feel blessed and not a little humbled.

Lummox is my Number 8 of 2004. Most played on my i-pod too. Especially on long tube journeys when I’ve had to much red wine and I’m feeling wistfulGideon Coe BBCRadio6

Lummox’ was definitely the highlight of the year. It was a really good album, and definitely one that pulled me up straight. I thought that it was a really exciting recordPenny Black Music

Gone for Good, one of the sweetest songs ever to feature the line “piss, spittle, semen and beer,” probably best demonstrates Thompson’s lyrical ingenuityPixel Surgeon

Deep as DickensHuw Costin SpecialSoundUnit

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Idiot-son/773052919431112

Facebook Event page:

http://www.facebook.com/events/1402501906721038

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"