Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:26 pm 
The Boss

Well it'll all depend on if he's had his tablets or not

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

efsb wrote:
Phew! Tell him not to kill me if he sees me at Fibbers ;)

Could be a toughie seeing as you are always around the front row...maybe wear some shades...or hand over a can of WD40 as a peace offering...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:43 am 
Hawleytastic!

Ron Block and Sierra Hull - Greystones Sheffield - musicianship of the highest order. Bluegrass musicians can play anything, to be honest and are well-known for their technical virtuosity, but these two took it to another level. Ron plays in Union Station with Alison Krauss - a devil on guitar and five string banjo and Sierra is a (still ridiculously young) prodigy on mandolin and mandocello. They played a mix of each other's songs and some standards. You could have heard a pin drop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My previous gigs:
1. I arrived in New York on Thursday 4th August and got a message from my New York musical friend that country singer Whitney Rose was playing at Hill Country Barbecue (A Texas themed restaurant). Bit of weird synchronicity - Whitney's drummer, Tom Lewis, had got married to a musical acquaintance of mine the week before in Austin - Birmingham guitarist Sophia Johnson who used to be in the Toy Hearts (I believe Dean B knows Sophia too). The crowd for this gig wasn't exactly a listening crowd, but it was a good early - free - gig. Rubbish lighting in the venue, so pics in black and white:
2. Friday 5th August was day 1 of the "Roots of American Music" series at Lincoln Center. M.Ward was the headliner (again the gig was free). I didn't know much of his stuff, but enjoyed what I heard.
3. Saturday 6th August meant the 40th Anniversary tribute concert for the Band's Last Waltz concert. Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble band were joined by many others under the direction of Larry Campbell. The late announcement of the Grateful Dead's Bob Weir to the bill meant that the crowd stretched from 63rd to 66th Street - another freebie. Too many photos to put here, but Dr John, Bob Weir, Lucinda Williams. Teddy Thompson, Patty Griffin, Anderson East and Buddy Miller were the key guests. Earlier in the day, on a neighbouring stage, Teddy Thompson & Kelly Jones, Mary Gauthier and Those Pretty Wrongs (Big Star's Jody Stephens & Luther Russell playing jangly Big Star-type pop) had all played.
4. Final concert day in NY saw the last day of the Lincoln Center Out of Doors series - Dwight Yoakam, supported by the Cactus Blossoms. For me, the Cactus Blossoms were the highlight of the weekend - vocally, close your eyes and they're the Everly Brothers - but with added Mavericks/Chris Isaak twang. Gorgeous.

Then it was back to the UK and after a day trying to get over jetlag, I headed to Welshampton near Wrexham for the North Shropshire Cajun and Zydeco Festival -tiny festival orgainsed by fantastic accordion player Gavin Lewery in his home village. Harold Guillory, Wayne Singleton and Lisa Trahan were Zydeco & Cajun musicians brought over from Louisiana and UK band The Rosellys also made an appearance. My friend Sarah Savoy, who's currently working in a Paris restaurant, also came over to do the food :)

More photos can be found HERE

Next gig - Morrissey at Manchester Arena on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

Eoin wrote:
Marissa Nadler on Saturday night was my last gig, at the Button Factory. An artist who I've been waiting a good few years to see live... The gig was a bit disappointing to be fair which in the main was due to the really poor turn out of about 50-60 people in a venue that can hold around 700 standing. There was zero atmosphere and Nadler's music is more reverentially appreciated then fervently applauded which made for an odd kind of night. It seemed to unnerve the artist and about halfway through dispensed with her band who I didn't think played great to begin with and decided to continue the show solo, just her and guitar as it would be better suited to 'the quiet room' as she said. She was right to be honest and the band came back for an encore and that was all she wrote...

I did a search to see if she has been mentioned here already and this appears to be the only mention.

I've just started listening to her, due to the fact she is about to go on tour supporting Ghost, one of my favourite bands.

I'm enjoying her music. Hopefully her live act has got more confident in the years since you saw her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xriM9Pa9J6k

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:28 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Last show was an incredible reunion of Belly. With a few shows in between, up next are The Bangles and The Lush reunion.

I've never particularly sought out music by women because they are women. There's been bands that just weren't my taste. But these three bands I love and I'm finding it so inspiring to see them, as we're all moving into 50s.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Not really a gig, but a stage show 'All or Nothing' about the Small Faces

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:23 am 
Hawleytastic!

..> ..> ..>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went to see the venerable Morrissey on Saturday. As contentious as ever - he can never be described as dull! Nice to see that his band are very much that now - as opposed to just a selection of hired musos. Photos from down the front...

Next - couple of local gigs by friends' bands.

Update!! Just got a ticket for the Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets Holiday Revue at the Adelphi in London on 18th December :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I lied - I went to see the Undertones at the Sugarmill in Stoke. No Feargal Sharkey, but I actually prefer them as a band without him. Saw them at the Top Rank in Sheffield about 1980 and he was right miserable. "New" guy Paul McLoone is a much better frontman and his pipes aren't too bad either.

Next Tuesday - my friends Chuck Micallef and Dave Luke are playing the Glebe in Stoke and they want me to take some pics for their new (first) album.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Here's my mate Dave Luke - he's played with the likes of Gail Davies, Chris Scruggs, Vera van Heeringen and Neil McSweeney. He's a fine Tele, acoustic and mandolin player in a country style - although he can play pretty much any style as his day job is to teach kids guitar...

Dave's Telecaster -

My Darling Clementine next gig, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

Still nothing much to write about for September, but October's looking OK.........

3 Ring Circus
Special Public Service Broadcasting gig at the Albert Hall in Manc
Jamie T in Cambridge
Haley Bonar in Leeds

:Hoorah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:45 am 
Hawleytastic!

Last Roy Harper Manchester Bridgewater Hall Friday 9th September.

Reliving my youth - had only seen Roy Harper once before around about the mid / late 70's - and things had not changed that much - I figured he was really stoned in the 70's - now I realise that is just how he is.

Was nice for me that the set list included a good number of songs from my few Harper albums pre 75 that were consigned to the attic years ago. Samantha asked me who / what he was like - to which I replied think of him as a 75 year old Neil McSweeney - thinking about it there were similarities but also major differences - love them both really...

Next Shez Sheridan Blues Explosion York Fibbers Saturday 17th September

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:55 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Went to a Proms Extra live radio 3 recording of the choir on Saturday celebrating 100 years of Jerusalem.Recorded next door to the Royal Albert Hally with people queing all afternoon for the last night at the proms. Whole place was buzzing. If you get a chance to go to one of these free recordings the BBC offer then go, they are excellent. Its a bit of a lottery for tickets but i was lucky last year to get Hootananny tickets, that was very weird celebrating new year in early December :*:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

just got back from watching jimmy webb doing his "glen campbell years" show at rncm.

sublime

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275 ... 300  Next