Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:45 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

JD McPherson, to kick off our annibirthary/birthdiversary weekend later this month!! :Hoorah (*) <*>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Myra wrote:
JD McPherson, to kick off our annibirthary/birthdiversary weekend later this month!! :Hoorah (*) <*>

He's brilliant - enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:53 am 
The Boss

Playing with him this year and his wonderful band this year was a true true joy they are feckin brilliant enjoy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:30 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks, fellas! I'm super stoked. :D Only got to see him at this little park festival here for just a few songs last year, so this will definitely be a treat. I'm thinking throw on some vintage threads and brush up on our dancing. If I can get the boy to dance with me, that is. I practically had to bribe him to dance with me at our wedding reception. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Jason Smay has to be one of the best drummers going...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

Last night went to see Wilco supported by Lucinda Williams in the Iveagh Gardens. First off I was pleasantly surprised that Lucinda was with her full band as the tour she had been doing was just billed as a duo, her and a guitarist. She went down pretty well with the early comers finishing off with a cover of Neil Young's Rockin In The Free World to close off a really energetic and political set of tunes. An artist who I've been a little on the fence on in the past but maybe closer to conversion after last night,

Wilco I have seen maybe ten or so times and it's always a thing maybe where you worry if you will become over familiar with a favorite band to the point that no matter how good they are it becomes a bit samey. Well you can't say that with Wilco, The new stuff sounded fantastic in all its slow burning glory and they opted for a pretty raucous and loud setlist until the encore where they came out and did 6 songs unplugged with lap steel, banjo and guitars. Not many bands can do that in an outdoor setting and manage not only to simply pull it off but to captivate and wow people with a sense of brilliance and intimacy that you really only come to expect from a club gig.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

helenwatson wrote:
Stevie next Sunday in Hyde Park. Broken my rule of generally not seeing anyone good in a field because I've loved him since I was old enough to even listen to music. x

How was Little Stevie? Was in Argos on Sunday when For Once In My Life came on

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

exapno mapcase wrote:
helenwatson wrote:
Stevie next Sunday in Hyde Park. Broken my rule of generally not seeing anyone good in a field because I've loved him since I was old enough to even listen to music. x

How was Little Stevie? Was in Argos on Sunday when For Once In My Life came on

Hello! Stevie was just fantastic, in fact – along with Maceo Parker, Etta James and Nina Simone – it would be in the running for the best concert I've ever been to. He came on stage at 6.30 and, with a 15 minute break in the middle, finished at 10.20! The band were brilliant and his voice and playing superb, he hasn't lost it one little bit. And he was mad and funny, with moments of pure genius. The album is so long anyway but he added loads of improvised bits all over the place, with his singers and showcasing all the musicians in his band. All those years I spent scared to go in case he played I Just Called To Say I Love You over and over, what a waste! Certainly won't make that mistake again – the only bad thing about the day was the fact it was in a field with lots of drunk twats, boring me with their loud and obvious twatism. I will be looking out for somewhere indoor where I can tell people to shut the fuck up if they sit next to me talking about their dull selves.

Sorry to give such an enthusiastic and almost evangelist answer but it was truly brilliant and I think the wine and the sun might've made me sort of teary at a couple of points it was just so good, especially at Knocks Me Off My Feet which is one of my favourite Stevie songs.

Anyway, I shall now go back to normal underwhelmed service. xx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sounds cravking, I totally get your fesr of the phone call tune and the sitting in a field carry on. will hzvd a look gor the inevitable youtubery. Love the sound of your top gigs, was zNina as terrifying as she seems to have been,?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I saw all three at the Forum, or the Town and Country Club as it was then. Maceo was totally the coolest man I have ever seen; Etra James was huge and filthy, making passes at blokes all over the gaff; but Nina, she was superior, came on stage with two Sainsburys carrier bags and started songs, then stopped them halfway through, and her band were so good and obviously used to her madness that they followed her changes in a beat. She was bonkers and beautiful and spellbinding and my other half was totally smitten with her. But yesterday was up there with that, despite the stupidity of the field. I will look for the you tubery because I was too busy loving it to do anything. X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

Planning the route between the bus station and the hotel for next weeks Hawley gig in Dublin...thanks to those that helped out... ..>

Busáras Bus Station, Ireland

Mulligan's, 8 Poolbeg St, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin City, Ireland

Bruxelles, 7-8 Harry Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Against the Grain, 11 Wexford Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Whelan's, 25 Wexford Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Devitts Pub, 78 Lower Camden St, Dublin 2, Co. Dublin City, Ireland

About 1.5 miles - in just over 30 minutes...I probably wont get past Mulligan's...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:58 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Try the long hall on georges street. great guiness.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:48 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Just been helping our daughter set up her merchandise stall at FARR festival.(From humble beginnings in 2009 Farr Festival has evolved from a small gathering of likeminded friends into one of UK's leading electronic music festivals).About six stages for music for about 5000 people so should be good, hopefully they will get the weather and all have a blast :Hoorah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Got tickets for Jamie T in October :Hoorah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

Next gig - Mr H in the park at the back of the Harrington Hall Hotel!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273 ... 300  Next