Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

jamesy wrote:
Blimey Nick you work hard - and I love your pics.
Denise made the connection for me at the Roundhouse and I realised that I’d met you at Holmfirth back I think in 2015 ?
Be good to hook up with you next time around.
Take care Mike

Cheers - just give me the heads up!

Last weekend I made my way to the very civilised Netherlands and spent a cracking weekend in Utrecht with like-minded music fans at the Ramblin' Roots Festival at Tivoli Vredenberg, a huge arts and entertainment complex spread over nine floors...within there's several size venues, from the huge Grote Zaal (Big Room) to the students union type affair of Cloud Nine on the top floor. Highlight for me were Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore, but there were also other good sets from the likes of Rod Picott, Robert Ellis, Dustbowl Revival and Drivin' & Cryin'.

Rod Picott
Dustbowl Revival
Dave Alvin
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Drivin' & Cryin'
North Mississippi Allstars ending the Festival in the Grote Zaal

In the next week and a half...
    Merrym'n/Nick Sharratt - The Glebe Stoke
    Caroline Spence/Rosanne Reid at the Night & Day Cafe in Manchester
    The Detroit Cobras at Gorilla in Manchester
    Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore at St Luke's in Glasgow
    Lilly Hiatt at the Artisan Tap Newcastle-under-Lyme
    TakeRoot Festival Groningen The Netherlands
    Lilly Hiatt - Paradiso Noord Amsterdam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Went to see Al Stewart last night at Newcastle Tyne Theatre. Not a massive fan only know Year Of The Cat and On The Border really, so went with a mate who likes his stuff. The venue wasn’t full but the audience were very appreciative.

Pleasantly surprised and totally enjoyed it. Comes across as a really nice guy and loved the chat between songs. Think it’s great when an artist explains how and why they came to write the songs played.

74 years old and still enjoying writing and performing. The band with him were young and enthusiastic and they jelled together well.

He is playing a few more dates around the country, I noticed Buxton and Cardiff amongst others. Worth a night out in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Local gig played by a couple of mates - the melodic, quirky songs of both Nick Sharratt and Merrym'n (Bob Moston). Lovely evening and Port Vale won away at Bradford too.

Merrym'n

Last edited by efsb on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..and then I was on photo duty for Biddulph Up In Arms for Chris While and Julie Matthews - soulful folk music and lovely people.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went up to Manchester to see Caroline Spence supported by Roseanne Reid at the Night & Day Cafe. Despite the sound guy seemingly having no idea of how to use the equipment in the venue during soundcheck, it turned out OK in the end - just about. Seeing Roseanne again on Tuesday supporting Dave Alvin & Jimie Dale Gilmore in Glasgow and Caroline is on at the TakeRoot Festival in Groningen that I'm at next weekend...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went to Manchester to see the Detroit Cobras - good gig, but their setlist was almost exactly the same as when I'd previously seen them in 2004....
Then up to Glasgow where I met up with friends and saw the Birds of Chicago in the tiny (and dimly lit) Doublet Bar.
The following day I went to see Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore at St Luke's - great show in a lovely venue.
Unfortunately when I got back to the hotel after the gig, I discovered that someone had broken into my hotel room and stolen a load of stuff - Ipad, Ipod, a camera that I'd left charging - and its lens -three books on photography I'd bought that morning, 7 second-hand CDs, a bag of leads, chargers and batteries and also my Detroit Cobras t-shirt. Reported it to the police but I don't expect to see any of that stuff again. It's only "Stuff" but felt somewhat violated. Don't stay at the Rennie Mackintosh Station hotel folks - that's the moral...
Back to Staffordshire and the Lilly Hiatt gig at the Artisan Tap. It was her first ever UK band gig and they played a lengthy, well-received set in a rammed venue.
The following day, Lilly and band had a non-gig day so my friend Craig, the Biddulph Up In Arms promoter had got them time in Silk Mill Studios to record a couple of videos. I went in and documented the process.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:49 pm 
Too much time on my hands

John Bramwell at Cadogan Hall, London, last Friday. Fantatstic!! Playing Manchester this week and Devils Arse on the 15th May 2020. Go and see him if you can, you wont be dissapointed ..>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

After the Lilly Hiatt gig and studio stuff I went to Groningen for the TakeRoot Festival. Coincidentally, (I had no knowledge until I walked past the club and saw the poster) The Detroit Cobras were playing at Vera - a club in Groningen - on the Friday. As the tickets were half the price of those at Gorilla in I went again (although the venue was a similar size) - and replaced the t-shirt that got stolen in Manchester. A couple of extra songs in the set too.
Saturday was my third time at the TakeRoot festival. Original headliner Brandi Carlile had pulled out a month or so back, but had been replaced by the Drive-By Truckers. Made little difference to me as it was some of the bands lower down the bill that I'd come to see. My favourites were largely female - Caroline Spence, Lilly Hiatt (again), Erin Rae and Lera Lynn were all excellent - and for the men, Robert Ellis produced a stadium worthy performance. Because of the different stages running consecutively it meant I missed several acts or only saw parts of the sets, but for a £50 ticket it was tremendous value.
Caroline Spence
Erin Rae
Lera Lynn
Lilly Hiatt
Robert Ellis

Many of the acts at the festival have based tours around their performance there and this year was no exception - Lilly Hiatt was playing at Paradiso Noord across from Amsterdam Centraal Station the next afternoon, so a group of us went along. Bizarre stage - it was like a daytime TV chat show set...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

No more foreign jaunts this year, but the good folks at the Foxlowe Arts Centre in Leek rose to the occasion this week with gigs from Chip Taylor and Kristin Hersh. Didn't attend the former, but did go to see Kristin. Last saw her many moons ago when the Pixies supported Throwing Muses at Manchester International. She's still affectionately kooky in stage presence and songwriting. Didn't know much of her later stuff but it was an enjoyable, well-received show.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:47 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Happy Monday’s last night. Pretty damn good, seen them a few times first was Whitley Bay Ice Rink 23 November 1990 :shock: my god where does the time go?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Next for me was Hot Club of Cowtown - Biddulph Town Hall - fourth time we've booked them - they're stunning musicians and Jake Erwin, the bass player surely has access to the elixir of eternal youth....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:14 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Next was Graham Parker at the Foxlowe Arts Centre in Leek. Last saw GP in Chicago about 15 years ago when I was supposed to be seeing Iris DeMent. She had a sore throat and cried off so I ended up going to Martyr's club to see him instead.
Engaging chat and he still has the voice, but the songs are much better with a band in my experience - they lacked the emotion, light and shade with just an acoustic/electric guitar and harmonica/kazoo.

Next - Balshazzar's Feast in Biddulph for some Christmassy folk music in the church.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Tonight Vinny Peculiar at The Castle Hotel Manchester with full band - a rarity nowadays for folks...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:27 am 
Hawleytastic!

Nearly there with the gigs this year - one more to play and a couple to attend in Biddulph - and I might squeeze an extra one in Leek...

Tonight was the folkie duo of Belshazzar's Feast - Paul Sartin and Paul Hutchinson - rumour has it that their traditional Christmas tour might be their last. I've seen it a couple of times and it's not really to my taste if I'm honest. Nice folks though - their car was broken into the night before the gig but mercifully all their gear wasn't touched. I prefered the support act, Paul Walker & Karen Pfeiffer - melodic, socially conscious folk tunes and super-friendly people.
Paul Hutchinson of Belshazzar's Feast
Paul Walker & Karen Pfeiffer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Poppy Dog wrote:
Tonight Vinny Peculiar at The Castle Hotel Manchester with full band - a rarity nowadays for folks...

Was a great night - met John from Preston by the door - and dropped on Matt Hill and Sean Hannam by the bar - friendly crowd - friendly band - one of the best gigs for me in a while - as Richard Hawley once said 'I was vibing my tits off'...whatever that means....

Don't know who to credit for the photo - taken from Vinny's FB Site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 300  Next