Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 am 
Regular

Sister Jane was by New World wasn't it? I think there were three of them in the band, had a handful of hits..."sister jane , you better change your name.." or something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Bri Davies wrote:
Sister Jane was by New World wasn't it? I think there were three of them in the band, had a handful of hits..."sister jane , you better change your name.." or something...

That's the group, thanks. I just found a copy of the single which I have not played in years, also I did not realise that Chinn - Chapman wrote the song, they had hits with everyone in the early 70's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

NickD wrote:
Denisc wrote:
one 7" I always remember being played was a song called "Sister Jane" but at this moment can't remember the group. I love vinyl.

That would have been about 1972/73. I remember it well, but can't remember who it is by. It was about a girl who had got pregnant & the chorus was something like "Sister Jane, you've got to change your name, you've got to get out soon before you go insane"

Memories.......................

It's a chorus that is hard to get out of your head, must check to see if it is on Youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I paid a kid at school 10p for The Beatles - Twist and Shout e.p., he wanted to give it me for nowt but I felt guilty knowing it was so good. Used to get given loads of Beatles stuff "How, Beatle, ye want this?" "Aye" - lads giving away their mams records as they knew I was obsessed. At one stage I had 4 copies of I Feel Fine - perhaps my favrit Beatles single through this great enterprise.

Still sift through singles in charity shops though went in one today that smelled like someone had shit theirselves so made a hasty exit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:04 pm 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Think the first 45 I actually asked for - being too young to be allowed out to the shops - was Skywriter by the Jackson Five :oops: Totally confused my Mum...''You want a what? A record?'' First purchase proper wasn't till years later as a teenager. Can't remember what exactly, but it probably would have been the Beatles from the second hand shelf in the shop up the road. But I'd already adopted my Dad's Shadows LP by then & nothing in the charts could match that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:23 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

palerider wrote:
I'm annoyed that I don't have the singles any more.

Yeah..know the feeling.........all my singles/albums....ended up in eastern Germany following a burnt out dalliance........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
Think the first 45 I actually asked for - being too young to be allowed out to the shops - was Skywriter by the Jackson Five :oops: Totally confused my Mum...''You want a what? A record?'' First purchase proper wasn't till years later as a teenager. Can't remember what exactly, but it probably would have been the Beatles from the second hand shelf in the shop up the road. But I'd already adopted my Dad's Shadows LP by then & nothing in the charts could match that.

I also bought Skywriter by The Jackson Five sometime in 1973 and I also bought the album of the same name not long after. One of my favourite singles is Doctor My Eyes also by The Jackson Five which I bought second hand not long after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I think mine was The Wombles..I recall buying 'Greased Lightning' by John Travolta...good grief. Though I have admit, I still like that song.

Though it was one of those funny records that John Peel used to play in late 1978 that won the day. The Lurkers in this case...and then was it. Sold John Travolta to my sister.

Last edited by netheredge on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 pm 
The Boss

the Lurkers single"pills"was an early buy for me too.......i think i was about 13 at the time still have it boss tune i got into it cos it was a Bo Diddley song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

...king embarressing :oops: my first buy was from Woolworths (I had a closeted upbringing) and it was :oops: Wham....oooo er...it was the Eighties, I had problem parents.... :*: then I grew...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:35 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

superglider wrote:
then I grew...

and became a Tog.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My first two singles were 'You really got me' by the Kinks and 'Go now' by the Moody Blues. Don't think I had enough money to buy an album until I started work and think my first one was Greatest Hits - Bob Dylan.

There was a stall in the market in Halifax which bought and sold records - I remember buying Atlantic and Stax ones - but also sold some which I wish I'd held on to - when the money ran before the end of the month!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:58 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
and became a Tog.............

Yeah...thanks for that...

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

The first single I bought for myself was T-Rex -Solid Gold Easy Action. It was not their best song, but that was the latest release.

The first singles I owned were a present - Silence is Golden by The Tremeloes and Okay by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick & Titch. As far as I know I have kept hold of all my singles, not sure where they are though.