Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
Was at my sister's the other night and she was having a discussion with one of her neighbours about their kids right to privacy. The neighbour was annoyed that his missus has been accessing their 16YO son's emails and other personal stuff and then kicking off about what he's written about her (it's messy, parents separated but going to relate, she's got bloke regularly staying over).

The neighbour's missus was so annoyed with what the 16YO wrote about the bloke she was seeing that she threw him out and changed the locks. The neighbour is fuming not just because the lad's allowed to feel mad about the situation, and entitled to his privacy, but because he's paying the mortgage, his son's out on his ear, and the ex (but trying to sort things out) has got her bloke staying over. All very messy. Personally, I think she was looking for the excuse to throw the lad out, accessing the personal stuff just created a huge argument that allowed her to feel justified in her action.

Hadn't realised that this thread would be so emotive, but Maggie I can understand your actions ... your lad was getting into criminality and of course you'd do everything you could to try to find out what was going on and protect him. Years ago I taught a mature student, her eldest daughter was a heroin addict and at 15 on the game ... if that had been my daughter all my liberal ideals would have gone straight out the window, I'd have locked her up on a remote island and driven around looking for her 'boyfriend' to run the b*****d down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:59 am 
Regular

Dave wrote:
What if someone you trusted and love is fucking around quite blatently in front of you?? :?

Is it ok then to check their phone for illicit messages......coz I've fucking done it and would probably be in the bastard dark now if I hadn't!! :evil:

I hacked into my ex-husband's email under those circumstances. Sure, going through other people's messages is at the very least rude. I would never have dreamed of doing it if I didn't have a very strong suspicion. But I don't think it's as bad as cheating on someone you've promised to love, honor and obey forsaking all others until death do you part blah blah blah, risking your health and finances (and those of your spouse) then bare faced denying it even when the damn woman is sitting in the car outside your house.

Spying on people whether it be your kids, spouse etc. just because you're a nosy old bag isn't right. But I think in some situations an invasion of privacy is excusable. Someone being in danger or trouble is the obvious one - whether it be the person you're spying on, or yourself.