Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 143  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insomniac's Corner.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:36 pm 
The Boss

I've just come back from a massive dog walk.....in a T-shirt....in winter.....in Sheff....and I'm boiling hot :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Spoke to my (ever cheery) 83 year old mother on the phone last night and she described it as "full graveyard weather". Not hot but not cold enough to kill off the bugs before they killed you. A throwback to her rural childhood, no doubt, when I'm sure, when you were out all day in all weathers, in houses with no heating, ways to dry your clothes or doctors that didn't cost money, that this kind of weather was greeted with dread. She said, cheerily... x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:29 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Yeah, it's completely fucked up here too. The most I've had on is a denim jacket or a hoodie and I got hot in that too! All I want is a little tiny dusting of snow for Christmas, just to perk things up. If we don't get some really good cold we're going to have hella mosquitoes in spring. :roll:

Talked to my 86-year-old mother yesterday and she was outside rototilling. ROTOTILLING. In December. In short sleeves. That seems about right, though, regardless of weather, if you know my mom. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:40 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I'm in a turkey dilemma :? Fresh turkey crown for Christmas dinner being delivered on Tuesday 22nd. Food safety guidelines say fresh poultry should only be kept in a fridge for a maximum of 2 days. So, do I freeze it? But then, I'd have to take it out again to defrost in the fridge around Wednesday night! It will be nearly as confused as I am.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Cook it a day early - then on Christmas Day put it on a hot plate and pour on steaming hot gravy...

Cook it on Christmas Day and enjoy with a couple of bottles of Brandy - which should kill off any food poisoining...but may create other issues that are much worse...

Hmmm...not really helping here...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:52 pm 
The Boss

Insomnia may very well be a thing of the past for me,a mate of mine brought some herbal sleeping tea from Spain and flippin eck does it work....I got 8 hours continuous sleep last night for the first time in years and years....it also curbs the need for alcohol cos once you've drank the tea you've got to be in bed about an hour later or you'll fall asleep where you are....it's amazing stuff,just valerian and California poppies....no....not opium but it's what the American Indians used for sleeping....just had one....right....I'm off....night

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Details please. I have a glass of wine to get me off but would like not to, at least not all the time. x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:14 am 
Hawley Groupie

Oh yes, can you get it online? My 19 year old daughter is suffering, therefore we all are. Up and down stairs, drinks of water, then flushing the loo. I don't want her going to the Dr and filling herself with chemicals. I'm being patient, as she's working quite a few hours plus just finishing uni, with work to do for that, plus trying to find a years placement that will pay her! So pretty stressed out house, even the cat is only sleeping 12 hours a day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I am that cat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:13 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I can also vouch for the superpowers of valerian, I used to take valerian capsules for insomnia and they worked like a charm except for their ungodly odor. I had to stop because they turned my medicine cabinet into an olfactory hellmouth from which no souls returned. I have the occasional night of insomnia now but I've mostly got it licked through habit changes/changes to bedroom lighting, etc. When I need some extra help, both Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea and Traditional Medicinals Nighty Night Tea now come in valerian-added versions as well. All the awesomeness of the teas you know and love plus a little bit more. :-) Reminds me of that Denis Leary joke about NyQuil, if you're going to take NyQuil you better be standing by a bed, because buddy, it's lights out for you. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:21 am 
The Boss

lynne wrote:
Oh yes, can you get it online? My 19 year old daughter is suffering, therefore we all are. Up and down stairs, drinks of water, then flushing the loo. I don't want her going to the Dr and filling herself with chemicals. I'm being patient, as she's working quite a few hours plus just finishing uni, with work to do for that, plus trying to find a years placement that will pay her! So pretty stressed out house, even the cat is only sleeping 12 hours a day.

I will find out,our young un is the same,lot of pressure on young heads....daylight is a must.....well for all of us at this time of year.....you have my(shared)sympathy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:11 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
Insomnia may very well be a thing of the past for me,a mate of mine brought some herbal sleeping tea from Spain and flippin eck does it work....

This is an old post, but I do agree with previous posters here that want to know details about this, especially the brand. I'm in Spain and shouldn't have too many problems finding it. Nothing I've tried so far has worked well for me. And since I don't have much time to be in bed each night (usually something like five hours), I'd appreciate it if I found something that makes me fall asleep as soon as I go to bed instead of tossing and turning there for two hours at the least.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:36 pm 
The Boss

HACENDADO Bien Dormir is what it says on the box, good stuff makes me have wacky dreams though

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
HACENDADO Bien Dormir is what it says on the box, good stuff makes me have wacky dreams though

Thanks a lot! I suppose you mean this one :mrgreen::

This box is my sister's. She says she doesn't like it, so I've never tried it, but I'm going to do so today.

For those of you who were interested in how to get this, this is a product of Spain's supermarket chain Mercadona (Hacendado is one of their exclusive suppliers, so, in principle, you cannot find Hacendado products outside Mercadona). Although they have an online shop, they don't ship their products abroad (not even within Spain, if you're not in one of their shop's delivery area). But Mercadona has over 1500 shops in Spain (and expanding), so if you have friends who are coming here on holiday or for any other reason, they can easily find it, no matter where they are.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:52 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

If you want to know, it has lemon balm, orange tree leaves, honey, orange blossom and lavender. Not apt for those with celiac disease. Take only one bag per day (it sounds as if taking more would send you into hibernation!).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 143  Next