Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thought I'd mention this, as classic cars are a subject close to my heart. This Sunday (24th) is the FBHVC's annual drive it day, aimed at getting anyone who has a classic or older and cherished car out and on the road, with just about all the clubs of various marques getting involved. I for one will be around in my Mk1 XR4x4. So if you have anything interesting locked away in your garages folks, get em out on Sunday! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 pm 
Too much time on my hands

What the man says. Do it while you can folks before this government bans all cars that weren't built yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:29 pm 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Classic cars are the best. Drive 'em, don't hide 'em :wink: Sadly mine succumbed to tin worm, but I still have it in the garage. Live in hope I'll sort it out some day. XR4x4 eh? Not too many of those around these days :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:20 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
Classic cars are the best. Drive 'em, don't hide 'em :wink: Sadly mine succumbed to tin worm, but I still have it in the garage. Live in hope I'll sort it out some day. XR4x4 eh? Not too many of those around these days :?

Yeh, I went over to Barnsley for it, it was parked up in a typical used car lot looking a bit grubby but all there, and the guy told me some other bloke was looking at banger racing it (which would have been a disgrace!!) so I felt sorry for the car and bought it. Apparently there's only 5000 mk1 sierras left on the road in all guises so I thought the fourby must be pretty rare, I'd guess most of the ones that've been saved are cossies. It wasn't in too bad shape really, I just put money into it when I can afford it (although certain family members aren't happy about the oil leaking on the path!).

It's just a lot more hands on to drive than a modern care. My main car is a 3 series which is a lot faster and more refined, but the fourby is just that bit rawer and more of an experience, i love it more than a lot of women I've been out with haha.. (I have been made to choose between that car and a woman in the past.. so we dont see each other any more :*: ) And at least it's so old the government can't bend me over the counter at the post office and roger me for 400 quid road tax for a car that probably does about 1000 miles a year (I wouldn't mind if the roads were ever maintained instead of resembling something last used by King Harold)

And arne, don't even get me started on the scrappage scheme, the most ill thought out idea the government have come up with for quite some time. Even the friends of the earth have come out and said the policy has no green credentials. So everyone, get out there on Sunday, and show solidarity!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:26 am 

I'm on my second Sierra - a Sapphire. I only realised recently that it's now regarded as old. I think of it as modern. How can something from the nineties be old :shock: :D And why should I change it, I haven't worn it out yet...Thankfully :alien:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:32 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

loftyeric2 wrote:
I'm on my second Sierra - a Sapphire. I only realised recently that it's now regarded as old. I think of it as modern. How can something from the nineties be old :shock: :D And why should I change it, I haven't worn it out yet...Thankfully :alien:

Mine's from 1986, the last year with the square headlights, I would have bought an Audi Quattro but I was short by a good 9 grand or so :*: I know, you used to see loads of them every day, and suddenly they just disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:41 am 

Remember the outrage when Ford stopped making the Cortina? There used to be one on every corner, now they're as rare as space ships :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:54 pm 
Too much time on my hands

The Ford Cortina Mark ll was the finest car ever made, my father drove a pale blue one.......... I was gutted when he sold it to a friend who intended to use it for banger racing, fortunately he didn't but dumped it in a field instead.
Dad then intended to get a Rover 2000 - another classic - but settled on Granada estate......then he got one of those new Sierra monstrosities, I though it a hideous, characterless car.... but now with all the soulless, charmless motors striding the highways the Sierra seems rather pleasant.
Cars along with almost everything else - housing, packaging, clothing, art - has become less sophisticated and of beauty as technology has enabled those responsible to create so much of value and taste.
That is all......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 am 

Whilst driving in Gloucestershire a couple of years back, on a recently made bit of bypass, coming down a hill I could see coming the other way - also downhill, a long lne of slow moving traffic. As I reached the dip I saw the hold up, A very smart 1950s Ford Popular doing a healthy 35 mph, just fast enough to keep the modern tin boxes from overtaking on the single carriageway :) ''Bless you, car'' I thought as I gave the driver a thumbs up :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 am 
The Boss

i don't drive but of all the modern cars i really like this one the nissan figaro they are boss i have a mate who has one and the exterior and interiors are really amazing

they look great in black too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:33 am 

I've seen those around. Never knew they were Nissan. Looks like a proper car :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:14 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Alf Button wrote:
The Ford Cortina Mark ll was the finest car ever made, my father drove a pale blue one.......... I was gutted when he sold it to a friend who intended to use it for banger racing, fortunately he didn't but dumped it in a field instead.
Dad then intended to get a Rover 2000 - another classic - but settled on Granada estate......then he got one of those new Sierra monstrosities, I though it a hideous, characterless car.... but now with all the soulless, charmless motors striding the highways the Sierra seems rather pleasant.
Cars along with almost everything else - housing, packaging, clothing, art - has become less sophisticated and of beauty as technology has enabled those responsible to create so much of value and taste.
That is all......

I would love a 1600E.. less of the soulless about the sierra though, there's nothing soulless about a cologne v6, in fact quite the opposite!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i don't drive but of all the modern cars i really like this one the nissan figaro they are boss i have a mate who has one and the exterior and interiors are really amazing

they look great in black too

Doesn't Columbo drive one of those in grey? :D :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:35 am 
Hawleytastic!

A friend of my son's came to pick him up on Sunday driving a 1909 Ford, it was basic to say the least. I was amused to see a Sat Nav near the steering wheel. He said he had to use it as he had no idea how fast he was going without it. :*: I should have taken a photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:40 am 

He probably didn't need to worry :D

Was it like this? Image