Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Robin Williams a RIP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:58 am 
Site Admin

Never thought I'd be typing that still a bit shocked. Had a lot of problems with personal issues and addiction that surfaced again recently but fuck... What a super talented funny guy, gone way too early... Sad for his family.... RIP Robin

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject: Re: Robin Williams a RIP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:30 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yup ..>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

The Black Dog got him. Such a massive, massive shame. xx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:59 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Sad and a little freaky after watching this episode of Family Guy last night to wake up to the news this morning.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

He wasn't my thing but it's still very sad x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:58 am 
Hawleytastic!

Nice piece by Joe Henry on Billy Bragg's blog:

it is especially disconcerting -ravenous upon our souls-- when our most fierce clowns willingly take leave of us: those who have ushered us through darkness, have whistled us past the graveyard; who have shown that what is funny is what is true, and what is true is the thread that unites all of us as mortals, while we pretend not be.

the (apparently) deliberate departure of robin williams rattles us in the same way that charlie parker's wanton disregard of his own bright star left us shadowed, even as we danced with assurance beneath its fleeting light.

we are desperate to believe in the value and beauty of living, though we are fearful and in pain. and the most gifted comedians of our era --robin among them, and in the company of richard pryor, bill hicks, lenny bruce-- have invited us to stay tuned to the song, even when it is fractured by crackling static and the obscuring, imposing mountains that leave us lonely between stations.

what we are likely to learn in the coming days will not be comforting. but the work mr. williams left behind can continue to be --and i have to think he wanted it to be; for his message was pure, even when he couldn't live up to it.

and it was, simply, "take heart: we are all lost pilgrims; and nothing but love will find us home."

i truly hope he has found one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I know some Hawleyboard people have spoken candidly about dealing with troubles. You are brave and you make a difference to others. I noticed how much I suddenly heard from friends. Not just posting clips, but notes, reaching out in little hugs. I know a kind word can't always stop the demons, but it sure can help sometimes.

I happened to get tickets to a talk show taping. When they announced Williams was the guest, it was electric. He then spoke honestly about his struggles, and unleashed that comic fury. I thought I would burst, laughing so hard. Having sat a few feet from him makes it more real life. I've been a fan, but not caught everything. I think people avoided the new TV show last year, sitcoms just not appealing anymore and the reviews were flat. He got so much respect in so many roles, but the critics and public are so cruel about lesser works. Not that it was at the root of his turmoil. I know addiction and depression are terrible diseases. We just try to explain them away with temporary problems, but it can't be done.