Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just read the news and came straight here. Like everyone else who's posted, I knew Carey through this place. She'll be greatly missed and fondly remembered. So very sad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Nooooooo! :( :cry:
I only met Carey once, some years ago, when she played with Camera Obscura here at my favourite club. After the concert - which was brilliant - she crossed my way and I told her that I liked the wry-humoured comments she posted here. We had a very enjoyable beer-length talk over this and that (including Dee Dee's records!) afterwards.
So, even if I only caught a glimpse of her - all I can say is: I'm in tears reading this thread.

http://soundcloud.com/the-sellers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 am 
Newcomer

Hello Hawley Forum,

I used to be on this forum pretty much the entire time way back in the day. The greatest thing about my time on here was all the awesome people I met who became friends. A few people from this forum were my friends beyond the postings on here and remained my friends for many years after I left and I can honestly say that those people are among my closest friends now. Carey was one of those people.

I met Carey chatting on here and spent some fabulous times in her company, going to see Hawley's gigs together, meeting her at her own gigs and generally drinking and gassing. She sent me postcards from America when she was on tour which were always hilarious; she was so cleverly witty and cheekily sarcastic. I have struggled with my mental health and she was so kind to me, never judgmental and totally understanding, even when I was behaving like a total dick. She was 7 years younger than me but so much wiser and insightful, she understood what was happening to me at the time, something which I only understood when I was better and in hindsight. Her support was unwavering and she gave me strength.

The last time I saw Carey was 28th May 2014, when she came to play with Camera Obscura at the Leadmill and we met beforehand for a drink. She told me then that the cancer had returned and she was going back in to hospital after the tour. She had told me about her Osteosarcoma a few years previously but I had assumed it was okay again especially because she was touring. It was a shock but she remained totally cool about it all, in that way that only Carey could, she was always so measured and never one for a fuss. We kept in touch via texts, facebook and Instagram and she messaged me in August this year and told me that she was back in hospital and was waiting on her diagnosis. It was not long after that the statement was made by the band and she launched her appeal to raise money for Sarcoma UK. Her appeal was a total triumph and the amount raised by people who loved her and appreciated her music was a fitting tribute to someone who always thought of others even in their own darkest times.

In all honesty, I cannot believe that my friend is gone it is so awful and so incredibly sad, she was someone special and I mean that with all sincerity, she was genuinely awesome. Carey was the kindest person I have ever met in a strong field of people who have been exceptionally kind to me over the years; she was funny and smart and unique. I didn't manage to see her very often but there is a hole in my life without her being in the world, and I can't imagine how much she must be missed by those people who were closest to her: her family, Kenny, the band, and her friends. My thoughts are with all of these people.

Anyway, the reason I asked Sean to post this for me (thank you, Sean) is to say thank you, Hawley Forum, for all those times that I frequented this little piece of cyberspace and for facilitating such great friendships. Thank you for bringing Carey Lander in to my life because it is has been much richer for it. I made her a card recently and it was a drawing of when we were at Hawley's gig at the Leeds City Varieties on the 26th May 2006. We were sat up in one of the boxes by the side of the stage and Hawley said we looked like Statler and Waldorf much to our mutual embarrassment and the amusement of the audience! It was hilarious and a much treasured shared moment between me and my friend. Oh and not to mention the time we were sat in front of a sweary, heckling Timelord at Hawley's gig in Salford...but that's another story!

That's all I wanted to say, I can't think of owt else apart from look after those you care about and try to be awesome and kind in everything you do, like Carey.

Love Michelvis xxx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:14 am 
The Boss

Lovely words Michelle nice to hear from you and Sean,and your right about this forum there's some nice folks here,I saw Maggie and Craig last night picking fleas off each other in the pub and we had a chat.....I'm all bust open about Carey like a lot of us but I know one thing.....Glasgow is going to be all about her and we are going to have it that night,I kept my postcards from Carey too by the way ..>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

They are lovely words, Michelle and I am so sorry. I didn't know Carey but the loss of someone so terribly young is particularly devastating. My best friend was killed in 2011 at the age of 44. I can't give anyone any sagely advice because I don't feel wise, I just feel sad. But time does make the ache less sharp. Hold your loved ones closer, cherish your friendships and make the time to take care of yourselves. xxxxxxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Beautiful sentiments there Michele. And long time, no speak. Its a shame its taken this awful news to make me think back to that period of 2005-06 and as -you mentioned- the brilliant people I met through this site - many of whom (Carey and yourself included)- I have lost touch with but who offered a great deal of support through some trying times and were always ready with an ear to bend over a pint. I miss that and I'll miss Carey.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'm very new here so I had no idea she had graced you with her presence, what beautiful thoughts and memories you all are sharing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Very sad. She was massively talented. x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

https://sarcoma.org.uk/news/2016/03/Car ... %C2%A3100k

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I saw that Denise. Really pleased. I donated and its especially important as I have a friend who's been diagnosed. Awful. Xx