Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:04 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Right, I am in need of a poem I saw forever ago, the opening line of which is ''Well, cat, you are old now...'' Can't find it via Google & all the other tactics, but would like it for my mum whose cooking fat has just departed this world. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:42 am 

And again, a bee has entered my bonnet. Any ideas on this one? Before we moved house in 1977, my parents & I lived in an Edwardian terraced villa in Leicester. It was formerly my grandparents' home but they had long since passed away when I came along. It was a little run down but mum had given it some 1960s style when she moved there after marrying dad. In the kitchen however, there remained my grandmother's stove. Mum, who had insisted upon the latest electric cooker, hated the sight of it, regarding it as ugly. It had ceased to be usable after the chimney became blocked & sat there, unloved, in its alcove. And as a small child I was fascinated by it & wanted to play with it. It was grey, probably enamelled, and had a grate & doors which I was forbidden from messing with, probably because they were about to fall off. It smelled of soot & had a stove pipe rising from the back. It didn't have legs - just sat solidly on the quarry tiles. It wasn't particularly large - quite squat & probably no more than a yard in width. So here I am aged 55 in the internet age, and all my attempts on Google images to find a similar appliance have come to nothing. All it can offer is a multitude of photos of either the modern Aga or a variety of Victorian/Edwardian black leaded ranges or American style wood stoves, which makes me wonder if it was something unusual, although my grandparents were not wealthy & would surely have had whatever was common in the 1920s. My memory of it, after 42 years, is patchy but I'm trying to build an archive of images of my childhood home. So, people of the forum please - show me your stoves :roll: Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
And again, a bee has entered my bonnet. Any ideas on this one? Before we moved house in 1977, my parents & I lived in an Edwardian terraced villa in Leicester. It was formerly my grandparents' home but they had long since passed away when I came along. It was a little run down but mum had given it some 1960s style when she moved there after marrying dad. In the kitchen however, there remained my grandmother's stove. Mum, who had insisted upon the latest electric cooker, hated the sight of it, regarding it as ugly. It had ceased to be usable after the chimney became blocked & sat there, unloved, in its alcove. And as a small child I was fascinated by it & wanted to play with it. It was grey, probably enamelled, and had a grate & doors which I was forbidden from messing with, probably because they were about to fall off. It smelled of soot & had a stove pipe rising from the back. It didn't have legs - just sat solidly on the quarry tiles. It wasn't particularly large - quite squat & probably no more than a yard in width. So here I am aged 55 in the internet age, and all my attempts on Google images to find a similar appliance have come to nothing. All it can offer is a multitude of photos of either the modern Aga or a variety of Victorian/Edwardian black leaded ranges or American style wood stoves, which makes me wonder if it was something unusual, although my grandparents were not wealthy & would surely have had whatever was common in the 1920s. My memory of it, after 42 years, is patchy but I'm trying to build an archive of images of my childhood home. So, people of the forum please - show me your stoves :roll: Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:10 am 

Thanks Nick. I'd have that in my house! Closer than most I can find but still drawing a blank on the grey enamelled one. Even resorted to asking my mum, but she can't remember living in the house, never mind the stove that she hated so much!