I recycle glass/plastic/tins/paper every week 86%  86%  [ 19 ]
I recycle occasionally when feeling guilty 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I would, but there's no facility to do it 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Fuck the environment! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's too late...we're all doomed 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:38 am 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Monday morning and as usual I've toddled off down to Tesco's and binned all last weeks empty bottles of pinot noir, stella, magners, whiskey, plastic milk cartons, pop bottles, plastics in general etc, etc. I've got to hold my hand up and say It's only in the last 6 months I've been doing this properly, although I've been doing the paper/card bit for a few years. Does anyone else take this seriously? or do you believe we're pissing in the wind and this shit is irreversable?? Have you changed your lifestyle in anyway to save the polar bears from drifting past Skegness on a 2ft peice of iceberg??? Are other cities in this country doing enough to encourage recycling???? How is this being done around the world (I'd particulary like to hear from the USA!!)

So many questions up for debate here, so whaddya think??

I'll admit that as I'm lobbing the bottles in I can never stop humming Nick Lowes classic....'I love the sound of breaking glass'!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

As Tesco would say - every little helps.

I do glass, cans and paper, but not much else. We should get more stuff from the council as I chuck a lot of garden rubbish straight in the wheely bin.

I read somewhere not sure if its true that if a Volcano has a tiny eruption ( burp) it produces more friggin carbon than man can or will in a lifetime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:29 pm 
Original Hippy

We recycle everything we possibly can, and I think it is really important - everybody can make a difference.

I don't think it is made particularly easy for us though. In our part of Sheffield the only kerbside collection we get is for paper, once a month. We have to make the effort to trot off to recycling centres for everything else, which is OK for those of us who feel strongly enough to do it, but if we had collections for other stuff I'm sure a lot more people would do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:33 pm 
Hot piece of Sheffield ass!

I recycle, but it really is too late I don't expect us to be able to suck more than 4 more generations out of the planet at the rate we are going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:43 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

i do paper and thats it, don't have the facilities to do the rest.

our lass used to work at a recycling place, did alot more then, not got a car to get to take all the bottles and that and they only do paper round are way. over at me mams they have bins for paper, plastic, bottles and garden waste!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I did have a sack to recycle paper but it got mouldy and dirty from constantly being out in the road .................. and who wants that indoors!! The local kids nicked all the plastic bins for cans and bottles and used them for goals when playing roller hockey in the car park......... they're now all smashed up. I don't have a garden so don't need to worry about that at least.

The nearest recycling facilities are a good 20 minute walk away from home and I don't drive............. and it's not on a bus route..........

Saying that though I do take all my old possessions (including books) to the local charity shops - which is a form of recycling, although that's only in dribs and drabs as the town is a 40 minute walk away and I can only carry so much on the bus................

My house is so tiny there's barely room for me and the cat, let alone separate bins for recycling - although there are wonderful facilities in the new developments that are currently going up everywhere ........... :?

However, Asda are now thinking of going back to the 50's where loose goods were the norm - about time! Perhaps in future (as I shop at Asda) I won't have so much waste anyway............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

We have re-cycling bins alongside West Ham football ground and across the road from my flats. Newham give all the houses orange bags to recycle things into but they don't give them to blocks of flats (because there is always some ignorant git living there that will contaminate bags of recycling by not bothering!!). So most of those living in our block have to go to the bins but fortunately they are conveniently sited.

And at work we recycle as much as we can - batteries, paper, glass, all our toner cartridges are collected and sent for charity. As locally there is no battery recycling I bring all of mine in to work, and if the recycling bins at home are full the work gets my stuff. Books and good quality clothes go to the charity shop.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I use a yahoo group called freecycle when I can - there are local groups and people list any stuff they have that they don't want any more, or things that they are after, and they are all swapped about for free. I used it to get rid of my piano, and have bullied the office manager to use it at work so, for instance, the last monitors that were upgraded were given away rather than being chucked in the bin. She only did it to keep me quiet but I feel very strongly about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Now that is a brilliant idea!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:20 pm 
Original Hippy

MrsSenna wrote:
I use a yahoo group called freecycle when I can - there are local groups and people list any stuff they have that they don't want any more

Was that how you ended up with Dave? :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:59 pm 
I need a life

MrsSenna wrote:
I use a yahoo group called freecycle when I can - there are local groups and people list any stuff they have that they don't want any more, or things that they are after, and they are all swapped about for free. I used it to get rid of my piano, and have bullied the office manager to use it at work so, for instance, the last monitors that were upgraded were given away rather than being chucked in the bin. She only did it to keep me quiet but I feel very strongly about it.

i'm in Brighton where nothing goes to waste, we get a fortnightly doorstep collection for glass, paper, card, tins etc and it works really well. I also use Freecycle and as well as giving stuff away I no longer need I've recieved stuff too including of all things a tank of fish :fish:

http://www.freecycle.org
http://freecycle.org/display.php?region=United%20Kingdom

its usually on a first come first served basis so I was gutted to miss out on a 50's lapsteel guitar on freecycle t'other week, get on to it everyone and share your old stuff :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The Clive James view.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6324407.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

edit

Last edited by Ida on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:04 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

I take Mikeys point on board about the volcano stuff and to bring it to a Hawleyboard level, isn't there serious concern about cows dropping their guts all over the place and seriously damaging the ozone with their farts??
I remember reading somewhere that this planet is actually overdue for a new ice age, summat like every 12,000 years, maybe the place gets a bit warmer before we freeze? There is also the story that has always floated around that the development of decent electric cars was curtailed way back in the 60's & 70's by the major oil companies. A global conspiracy?........... or fact??? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:01 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Cant the producers of our foods we buy in supermarkets reduce the size of the packaging it comes in, allso cant the makers of our household goods make them to last like they did years ago, nowadays they build them to last a short lifespan like your washing machines , driers tv etc etc, when they go wrong its cheaper to buy a new one, allso we must have the technology to make non petrol engined cars, instead of petrol stations cant we replace the pumps with battery banks, you take your car with a low battery and pay a set price and replace it with a fully charged one easy or is their another reason why electric cars are not being developed further in the market.