Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should the Hawleyboard introduce a chatroom?
Yes definately 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
No we're fine as we are 53%  53%  [ 18 ]
I dont give a flying monkey trump 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:03 pm 
Chief Poodlewhacker

Happy Clapper wrote:
Ok, heres another idea for another time of course...

A live webchat with RH?

That was sort of my reason for suggesting it in the first place.

Seems like its not a popular idea, I think mainly through fear of change (especially from the old guard for some reason) or lack of expreience of this kind of thing. And I think there seems to be a stigma about 'internet chatrooms'

I frequent one other 'online community' which is a online playstation thing (but for growed ups). We have an IRC which is reasonably busy most nights and is a reet laugh. It by no means replaces forums- quite the contrary in fact- many threads are started from discussions on the IRC. Its mainly just general arsing about and banter. You rarely find anything of supreme interset that stays exclusively withing IRC.

Also on occasion there are preplanned sessions for topics. The 'live from the studio' one would be a good one in this case. The transcript from which can then be posted in a thread of its own, prompting further discussion.

This could even be road tested with a dedicated IRC room independent of the site- accessed through an IRC client.

anyway, tis my last word on the matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:07 pm 
'Thinks he's a bit of alright'

Thats why Ive suggested installing it, irrespective of whether people say that they want it. Chatting on t'internet is like learning to swim or ride a bike; it isnt difficult and you may like it, although its a little difficult to start.

People who advocate not implementing a feature of the BBS application because theyre unsure about; it arent acting in the boards best interest, in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:42 pm 
If anybody wants to chat, set one on an independant site and stick it in links, or use MSN. Even if one was to be added here, it would take forever and a day to happen, as it can't be added by Dave or Eoin, it needs adding to the board software by the peeps at Mute as i said in another thread....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:57 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

CraigA wrote:
If anybody wants to chat, set one on an independant site and stick it in links, or use MSN. Even if one was to be added here, it would take forever and a day to happen, as it can't be added by Dave or Eoin, it needs adding to the board software by the peeps at Mute as i said in another thread....

Sorry chaps, but what Craig says and he knows coz he used to do admin on here. The folks at Mute are goodly people, but look after a shitload of sites and forums and it can take ages for them to get round to stuff.
What's wrong with setting it up on an independant site and whoever wants it having it in their signatures??

We dont fear change, we coped with a change of colour scheme a few years back and losing some trusty smilies with only limited counselling and medication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:11 am 
Chief Poodlewhacker

OK, that WASN'T my last word on the subject.

Sorry, but what what craig says just shows he doesn't understand the function of a chat room. To suggest MSN or any other direct messaging service isn't the issue or an appropriate solution here. That involves friends lists, everyone on the same messaging system, limited access etc... etc...

The way to view a chat function is simply the same as the forums but on a real-time basis.

When you log into the site you can see instantly who is online in the forums, they could also access a standard and contstant hawley IRC room. For instance now, there are 5 people online (including Dave), i've just popped in for a minute while I was checking the footy tables, and could bob in and say hello. Talk bollocks for 5 minutes then say 'night night'.

You don't have to use the chat rooms. but there also seems to be another fear that if the chat was going on then you might 'miss something' which is bollocks.

Setting up the facility is as easy as it was appointing new admins.

I could do it independently but that would involve people setting up their own personal IRC client (which they wouldn't) . but if there was a tidgy widgy little button up there^^^^ that just said 'chat room' that opened a java applet, that would open up a whole new world.

I repeat that i'm suggesting this as an IMPROVEMENT to the forums and the site in general. If I thought for one second that it would tear the fabric of what is great about this microcosm of a community then I wouldn't be so vehement in my overt pushiness. I've seen it work elsewhere, and I know it could work here.

The 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' brigade have their way, then nothing will ever progress.

Now if you will please click below....

http://www.acmewebpages.com/midi/over.wav

Who's with me.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:22 am 
Widnesboy wrote:
OK, that WASN'T my last word on the subject.

Sorry, but what what craig says just shows he doesn't understand the function of a chat room. To suggest MSN or any other direct messaging service isn't the issue or an appropriate solution here.

It was suggested as an alternative....

Widnesboy wrote:
Setting up the facility is as easy as it was appointing new admins.

I could do it independently but that would involve people setting up their own personal IRC client (which they wouldn't) . but if there was a tidgy widgy little button up there^^^^ that just said 'chat room' that opened a java applet, that would open up a whole new world.

....because, for the third time, IT ISN'T THAT EASY. Dave and Eoin, or anybody who was an administrator of this board do not have the physical capability to add that button 'up there^^^^'. It needs to be done by the site owner who has access to the server on which the forum is held (i.e. Mute). Yes they can be asked, but as i keep trying to point out and Dave has repeated, they really haven't got the time and won't be all that interested in doing that. It's not an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it brigade', it's an 'we know what it's like waiting for Mute to make changes to board' brigade because we've been there before. And that's not me having a pop at Mute, i'm just stating how it is from experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:37 am 
Chief Poodlewhacker

so we give up on ideas from apathy?

I DO sympathise though. I know how difficult it is to implement even the simplest of changes in even the simplest of organisations. And in turn i'm not having a pop at the organisation of what is a wonderful place.

I'm looking into getting a test room set up that everyone will be able to access from a simple link- perhaps from a forum thread- (though not sure this is possible). But I may also provide simple instruction on installation of IRC clients. which is very possible.

If in 6 months time fuck all people are accessing on a regular basis then I would happily crawl back into my hole. But if we're all regularly calling each other cnuts in realtime, then I would happily adopt a smug told-you-so face and accept your adoration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:47 am 
Widnesboy wrote:
so we give up on ideas from apathy?

It's not a case the effort not being mad because people think it won't work though, it's because the majority don't want it in the first place![/quote]

Widnesboy wrote:
I'm looking into getting a test room set up that everyone will be able to access from a simple link- perhaps from a forum thread- (though not sure this is possible). But I may also provide simple instruction on installation of IRC clients. which is very possible.

If in 6 months time fuck all people are accessing on a regular basis then I would happily crawl back into my hole. But if we're all regularly calling each other cnuts in realtime, then I would happily adopt a smug told-you-so face and accept your adoration.

It can be done and linked in a thred from here, i mentiond that in a previous post (despite not knowing how these things work of course :roll: ). Go for it if you want it, i'm sure you and Big Simon will be very happy calling each other cunts and telling knob gags. I've been there before, and that's my own personal reason for not beng bothered about having such a room here, because i always found it soon became very tiresome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:33 pm 

How did I get roped into this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:51 pm 

Big Simon wrote:
How did I get roped into this?

Because you give off a whiff of inteligence and knows what to do with these there computery thingy me jigs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:40 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Widnesboy wrote:
Happy Clapper wrote:
That was sort of my reason for suggesting it in the first place.

Seems like its not a popular idea, I think mainly through fear of change (especially from the old guard for some reason) or lack of expreience of this kind of thing. And I think there seems to be a stigma about 'internet chatrooms'

Rubbish. Just want to talk at you not to you :*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

(And that's me being flippant...in case anyone's not sure............)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:45 pm 
Miss fanny on fire!

do we have to post a retraction along with every comment we make now?

i'm gonna have to go back to my earlier posts and amend them all - bugger.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:40 pm 
Chief Poodlewhacker

Knob gags are the cornerstone of modern culture. without them the system would collapse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 pm 

Widnesboy wrote:
Knob gags are the cornerstone of modern culture. without them the system would collapse.

I'm coming around to your way of thinking WB!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:18 pm 

Im amazed that Ive made 300 posts and not told anyone that I have got a big knob yet, let alone make knob jokes...

Still: when the java chat function is enabled I'll be able to make up for that; eh?

:wink: