Cassette 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Reel to reel (!) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
MP3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Live 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Record Collections
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:16 am 
Regular

I've been a keen record collector for about 20 years and have a decent amount of vinyl and CDs (still not sure about buying MP3s - I like packaging!)

Most of my collection is indie/guitar pop together with a reasonable amount of house music from the early 90s. Not sure how that'll go down on this site!

When I get into a band or artist I tend to collect everything they've done and buy all formats, or at least the CD single and a vinyl version (I don't usually buy albums in any other format than CD though) - just need Richard's first single to complete my collection of his stuff. I also keep a database of everything I have (comes in quite handy) and store everything in alphabetical and then chronological order (I must have some form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

Does anyone have any particular buying habits when it comes to music, e.g. full collections by particular bands, or certain formats (I know people who only buy vinyl)?

In case anyone's interested, a friend and work colleague of mine has his own website where he reviews a record from his vinyl collection each week. Here's the link: http://allmyvinyl.typepad.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin

My collection is mostly on CD as my vinyl was played to death on cheap players and ended up replaced with CDs as they were released. I sitll buy vinyl singles mainly because they often have an exclusive b side.

CDs stored alphabetically (except for latest purchases which are heaped separately in alphabetical order till I can get round to putting them into the proper plces (which are on book shelves, CD cupboards and such like in various areas of my flat). Alphabetical and chronological - which is as it should be, that's not obsessive at all :wink:

The majority of MP3s I have are My Space downloads where bands don't have an album to buy, although occasional iTunes purchases take place where all I want is one song.

And the entire collection is on a spreadsheet which is carried with me on my Palm organiser as I have in the past totally forgotten I already have an album and have bought a second copy!

I don't always buy everything a band I discover I like has done without checking out the sound of their other stuff, the exception being Richard and Cousteau where I knew without listening that I would like the entire output (and I'm missing that Coming Home single although I have the songs).

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:23 am 
Waitrose Warrior

looks like vinyl is a winner 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dawoodcock wrote:
And the entire collection is on a spreadsheet which is carried with me on my Palm organiser as I have in the past totally forgotten I already have an album and have bought a second copy!

That's something I have tried several times in the past. However I get so far (and not far really) and find something that I want to play right away, and the good intentions slip away. Basically I like to rummage (whilst doing that I also find things that I want to play right away...........hmmmm I'm getting a theme here.....) and to hunt for things.

Vinyl is tops with me, but most formats are okay so long as you can play them and hear the vibes :dj:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:21 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I prefer the sound of vinyl but have to admit most of my stuff is on CD, iTunes downloads, or casette tapes. CD's sound to "clean" for my tastes - specifically with things that were recorded before CDs were the thing. iTunes don't have enough sound quality. I too like packaging and flexibility, so prefer my CDs.

I have occasionally and quite lamely tried to put my stuff in alphabetical order, but alas it never stays that way -- and a HORRID habit of putting CDs into the case of the nex CD I'm playing means looking for something to play is almost always a kind of treasure hunt. I find all kinds of things I'd forgotten I had or want to play though - just not necessarily the one I started out looking for.

I've had what I'd call three musical lives -- my teens and early twenties were all about 60's rock (I came of age in San Francisco during the 20th anniversary of the summer of love so it was kind of a mandate.) I don't really have any of that music anymore, I tended not to buy then. My twenties was all about jazz and blues and I have a huge collection on cassettes and no way to play them, most are all warped and dead anyway. Then I had a dark period where I didn't pay any attention at all to what I was buying or listening too (a lot of wretched pop music I believe, I don't know I've blocked it out). A friend introduced me to several bands from the UK and that's been dominating my collection to-date in these my mid-thirties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:03 pm 
Regular

Just won 'Baby Your My Light' on Ebay - I now have a full Richard Hawley collection! Woo hoo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

So what group/singer will you be collecting next??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:34 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Only complete collection i have is Reverend And The Makers (including all promos and three signed CDs), but they are new so a full collection aint that difficult.

Also have a complete set of original Velvet Underground LPs, but the singles are too expensive.

Majority of artist i like i buy all their albums on CD, but rarely chase after singles due to the cost factor. That's when a decent Best Of comes in handy.

Oh, and Peter Yarrow - did you attend Rowlinson School in the 80s and play in the legendary This Mighty Fire? If so, I'm John Kent, brother of Richard. If not, ignore me.

www.myspace.com/john_c_kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:08 am 
Regular

Mr Kent, how the devil are you?

Yes it is me, of This Mighty Fire 'fame'. Come to think of it it's around 16 years since we split, but obviously our name lives on in the hearts of the Rowlo boys and girls!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:20 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

This is nice it is like Facebook!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer here to Facebook though, nobody pokes me or vampire chomps me. But I have an acquarium on there which is rather nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:22 am 
Regular

Well Denise, I've just poked you (in the nicest possible way of course!). Hope that cheers you up.

Obviously now that I've been outed as a member of the legendary This Mighty Fire, I will need to set up my own website! Not!

However if anyone wants to sample t'Fire please let me know, I have some MP3s I am happy to share (and some that I wouldn't too).

I also played with a band called Trigger Nation, who were part Sheffield, part Manchester based. We had a really good laugh, none of us took it too seriously and it was fun.

I stopped playing in bands in the early-mid nineties to focus on my solo career as a dance artist (dance music not dancing itself, I'm rubbish at dancing). The solo career never happened, but one in banking did, which is why I'm in Edinburgh. However life goes full circle and I've just bought a guitar and am learning fairly quickly. Expect a platinum selling album and sell out tour sometime in 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Poked you back. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:56 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I wish I could buy music on CD packaged in good old fashioned album covers. I prefer the sound quality of CD's but I loved the physicality of vinyl and nice big cardboard sleeves (if they were gatefold I was in heaven) It was probably more important to me when I was younger and had to content myself with flicking through albums in Virgin Records and Rags or Callers in Newcastle whilst I was saving up to buy something (now if there's something I want I can usually afford it there and then or just whip the plastic out and it's mine.)

I really felt as 'though I'd got my moneys worth, going home with an album in a carrier bag - I could carry a dozen CD's in my handbag now, it's not the same! And I must be dead clumsy 'cos I always manage to smash the plastic boxes.

I think artwork looks better bigger and sleeve notes were easier to read - again, I was always fascinated by songwriting credits/who's produced what etc. so every new album was a total voyage of discovery for me! I know that we still get sleeve notes on CD's but it doesn't feel the same somehow.

I loved having shelves of neatly stacked vinyl with artists names/album titles visible - favourite albums would show faint signs of wear and tear via their covers indicating their status - my CD collection looks very uniform in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:33 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I love playing vinyl on my little suitcase recod player, it makes me extremely happy. There is not so much of an emotional connection with putting a CD in the stereo. I like the smell of vinyl and sliding it out of the wrapper and and the process of putting it on the turntable and watching it spin and placing the needle on it. I feel genuine affection for the whole process.