Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabrice Muamba
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We weren’t at White Hart Lane on Saturday – and to be honest, I was quite glad. I wouldn’t have wanted my boys to see that. My cousin and his boy, my uncle and my nephew were there and they were just gutted, in tears in fact. So worried about Muamba and shocked at what they were seeing. Definitely think the whole football family cliché in this case was true – Spurs fans left the ground in silence and it did put rivalries into perspective somewhat.

Obviously, the tabloids are feasting on the story, reporting on every twist and turn, relevant, news-worthy or not. And whilst there has been a lot said about how good the medical staff were and are, I think there is a big point to be made here.

Whilst not wishing to belittle the use of prayer or people’s belief in God, Muamba’s life was saved by the medical staff, the NHS-trained and employed paramedics; the wholly-employed NHS heart consultant watching from the East stand who ran on the pitch to direct the action; and the brilliant and committed staff of the London Chest Hospital where he is being treated.

The London Chest is in my manor, down the road from where I work. It is a slightly dilapidated, tiny hospital in the middle of Bethnal Green that treats people with heart and lung conditions. Our community is very proud of the London Chest and you will be hard pressed to find many people with a serious gripe about their care. I know lots of people who have received treatment there – my best friend’s mum, a workmate and a good friend who was discharged four weeks ago after a successful quadruple heart bypass.

I think in all this tragic story we have to have this young bloke and his family at the heart of our concerns. We can only hope he goes on to improve and I have my fingers' crossed for him.

But the point has to be made that the London Chest provides a world-class service to all people of all incomes – it was originally set up to treat the East End’s poor with TB, pneumonia and heart problems – and we have to celebrate it as the NHS centre of excellence that it is.

If this government gets its way, hospitals like the London Chest will plug funding gaps by treating more private patients, up to 49 per cent, meaning that you will still get top class care but only if you can pay. The rest of us will have to wait and, as Muamba’s case proves, time is of the essence.

Profitable services will be cherry picked and privatised – by the front or back door. And its brilliant staff base will be squeezed and cuts will undermine morale and effect care.

By all means, people should pray if that’s their thing. But people should also fight to make sure that this top class treatment for all, as a principle that underpins the whole of the NHS, continues to thrive too.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Well said, Helen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:09 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Absolutely spot on, Helen, as you so often are.

My 18 year old cousin died when he was playing football. Just a local Sunday league game. His dad was watching and ran onto the pitch when he saw him collapse and tried to revive him. It was horrendous. They called it sudden death syndrome. Nobody knows if he might have been saved if the paramedics had been there but clearly he would have had a chance. We need the NHS. For everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:06 pm 

Too right -our friend died aged 28 playing cricket and I don't think I really ever got over it - the NHS is vital. Cameron and his gang don't care because they can pay but for the rest of us we need our hospitals and the wonderful people that work there. We speak daughter no 1 has gone off volunteering at the Hallamshire hospital stroke ward - loads of those people would be dead without our free at the point of need service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Agree all. Read this yesterday, it's great.x

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 79390.html

Post subject: Re: Fabrice Muamba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:13 pm 

Totally agree Helen - very well said !