Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Derby gig
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

brilliant. brilliant. brilliant. very small venue, the balcony had obviously collapsed and not been replaced. Mr H on form. The monitor misbehaving ... :roll: or a new excuse for a mid-gig fag break?

Jill A has the track-listing and will post in the morning, but from me you get as usual the trivia.

Great to see Paulf who was on bouncing form with the merch and will be a spectator tomorrow.

Support act Pete Molinari fabulous - been playing his cd this week whilst driving (and so has Richard) - Pete accompanied by two pals who were chauffeuring him and made him sign a cd for me. The two pals, Duncan and Lee are in a band too - I promised I'd mention them: the 59 violets (I'll leave Denise or Baroness to find a link if they feel generous). All three really very nice. Pete was plugging me his next gig on Tues, 2 June at the 100 club? in London, anyhow said he's now got a band backing him whilst he played accoustic solo tonight. Am going to try to catch him on 2 June as think best support act I've seen with Hawley. Absolutely spine-tingling voice.

A new guitar man, 'scottie'?? but what happened to lovely hull-boy? In three months shez seems to have mated a guitar with several rabbits because I swear they've multiplied tenfold since York, green ones, sparkly ones, etc almost too wearying to count but I suspect Denise and Baroness will have notebooks to hand tomorrow night. I think I counted three hawley guitars, and one had * hawley * in the neck (I have no idea what the technical term is) and very fine it was ... accoustic. Also red Gretschy-thing and yellow-gretschy thing.

All guitars coordinated wonderfully with the suit (vintage?), light grey with a hint of blue matched with (I suspect) the new boots (very nice) and a dark blue/purple shirt (silk?), great detail on the shirt cuffs looked like three studs - Shez had some on his white shirt too. Shez also sporting very very nice new suit - this one 3-buttons (?) and shorter V with nice lapels (obviously taking sartorial lessons from Richard). Relieved that Dean back in his stripy t-shirt. I love Dean in his stripy t-shirt. Dean also sang all the words to 'I'm looking for someone' whilst giving Jon serious eye contact (the pair looked like two toddlers let lose in a sweet shop when they got going on drum stuff together).

Was at the front with Jill A (although obviously I made a hasty retreat for the bar during the system malfunction when Richard dived out for a fag); have discovered I can do really loud 'woo-woo's after my wembley shriek-fest so I gave it my all.

As for the music and the musicianship - well fan-bloody-tastic. Loved the intimate venue; perfect blend of the old and new (but we didn't get Our Darkness or The Ocean as an encore possibly due to the break near the beginning). I'm not going to tell you any more about the songs 'cos I've bullied the forum-shy JillA into posting those - and I'm insisting she gives you a full run down too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:35 am 
Regular poster

Ditto everything catsandbooks said ----- it was my 4th time of seeing Richard and he just gets better every time - if that's possible !! Great show - thanks to everyone else too - the "Lads" and support act - very very good. Being at the very front was brilliant and I'm sure my shouts were louder than her's :wink: :*:
Full track was -
Hotel Room
Bad Sign
Lady Solitude
Tonight the Streets
Something Is
Dark Road
Coles Corner
Lady's Bridge
Serious
Valentine
Roll River Roll
Just Like the Rain
Tonight
Oh My Love
I'm Looking for Someone

Encore

Lonesome Town
I'm So Lonesome

RAH tonight :D :D :D :D can't wait!!!

Johnnie Walker has given this a mention on Radio 2 and is playing "Streets" now!! He'll be there, He's a big fan :)

Post subject: Re: Derby gig
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
Relieved that Dean back in his stripy t-shirt. I love Dean in his stripy t-shirt.

I knew there was something missing at Parr Hall...

Post subject: Re: Derby gig
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:

Great to see Paulf who was on bouncing form with the merch and will be a spectator tomorrow.

That'll be nice for him to actually get to see a show! :D I hope there will still be stuff there though (unless the RAH doesn't allow it)............... I can't resist anything with a picture of Richard on................ :oops:

catsandbooks wrote:

I think I counted three hawley guitars, and one had * hawley * in the neck (I have no idea what the technical term is) and very fine it was ... accoustic.

Now I think that sounds wonderful - is the name in mother of pearl? :D That's sheer class! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 am 
Hawleytastic!

It could very well be mother of pearl, it was an exceptionally lovely guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:02 am 
Hawleytastic!

A blog reviewing the gig here............

http://akuheibakery.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/live-review-richard-hawley/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:23 pm 
Regular

Just bumping this in the hope of getting Richard's thoughts on the gig. Thoroughly enjoyed myself from the second Pete Molinari started to the last note of Richard's set. Strange little venue - like a small school hall. Post-technical tweak around the time of 'Tonight The Streets Are Ours', the sound was great.