Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Speaking as someone who loves photography -

Steve McG - I fully respect your views and I can understand where you're coming from and well done on putting your ideas over in such a pleasant manner! - but I - and I'm sure many others - love taking photos - for me, trying to capture a moment of a concert visually is as much about the concert experience as is the listening etc - it's trying to distill that visual essence into something else, to capture a mood or a moment - to use the experience as inspiration and to try and pass that on to others. I enjoy concerts for slightly different reasons than you and probably differently to many others and vice-versa. I appreciate what you're saying about the mass recording/photography that seems to happen everywhere though, but like it or not, it's with us - it's just changing times. I bet Shakespeare's actors were in two minds as to whether having a roof on the theatre was a good idea as it meant they had to work at nights...!

With due respect, I don't think the arguments you put forward about past artistes not being photographed by audiences en masse are particularly valid, though - if the technology had been available, then it would have been used. I've got photos taken on an old Kodak instamatic because when I went to see acts like the Smiths I could sneak it in and it gave me the best opportunity to take snaps, whereas I wouldn't have been able to take in my Olympus OM10 SLR; the difference? Just a press pass and the greater availability of better technology in a smaller form. Bootlegging presents similar issues - it's easier to do now, but it doesn't mean that people haven't always been trying to do it. (And thank goodness for the people like Leon Kagarise who did both and created an invaluable historical archive of a time and a place) We live in a world where the impact of new technology is huge and many people now like to archive their experience so that they can share it, relive it, mix it up, send it to friends...embrace it - don't run away from it, because it's already happening. The concert experience is changing too. Watch the start of the Robbie Williams' gig on iPlayer as the camera pans around the back of the audience - the raised arms and glowing screens are beautiful in their own right!

Now, if there's someone who's pushing and shoving past me to take a picture and behaving impolitely, well, fine - that's not nice - but ordinary folks wanting to take some snaps or a bit of video - I can't see the problem if the venue doesn't expressly forbid it and make it clear beforehand. It's not a crime.

As for the Lyceum staff - your experience was not mine - verbally aggressive behaviour and using a threatening tone to people who didn't deserve it was what I saw from three different auditorium staff. There were many others who were really helpful, though and it's a shame that I remember the bad ones.

One of my many hats is that of a performer - I take the most hideous photos ever, but if I see someone aiming their camera at me, I'll play along; I might doubt the quality of what they're taking, with no flash in low light with me gurning and jiggling about, but they're perfectly allowed to do it, so I have no problem with it.

I also take photos in an official capacity for my local roots' club's club's website - http://www.biddulphupinarms.com - and I'll always ask the artistes if it's OK to take pictures. I take as many as possible in the soundcheck and will keep out of the way in the performance and try and be as inconspicuous as I can. I haven't had one performer say no - I've had one (nationally and internationally renowned) who was a bit reluctant, but once she saw the photos I had taken, she even went as far as e-mailing me to thank me for doing a good job!

I think the issue here is not photographers - but inconsiderate photographers - and they are as bad as any inconsiderate audience member. If a venue allows photography though, why shouldn't someone (within reason) indulge their hobby as much as someone who wants to go and watch/jump around - as long as they consider others?

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/efsb/sets/
(That's me in a Dutch newspaper)

Just my five-penn'orth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:56 pm 
Regular poster

Hi efsb,
Thanks for your respectful and considered reply. So many times on the forum people are shot down for expressing feeling that don't sit with the crowd. I appreciate the time you took and you make some valid and good points. I'm sure we won't see eye to eye on everything but it is good to have a healthy exchange of opinion and that's what the forum is all about.
You are absolutely right about technology being with us and past that point of return to your inoffensive Kodak Instamatic. More's the shame in some ways but I take your point. Did your Kodak have the square flash bulbs that slotted in the top? Those were the days....
Love the picture of you wearing a washboard or armour plating! Great shot. Who do you perform with?
Regarding the Lyceum - I know how your experience of staff who were less respectful can help to spoil an otherwise great night. Those staff unfortunately leave a bad taste and the good ones can get tarred with the same brush which is always a shame. Is it worth dropping the Lyceum an email to let them know what your experience was like? I always think it's good to feed back both bad and good comments. If they don't get to hear the bad stuff they cannot change it and next time someone else will kop for the staff who can't handle a bit of power!
In the past I have taken a camera to concerts but not to great effect. Many many years ago I remember taking my Pentax K1000 (I'm sure you remember that one) to a Cure concert. I just got really drunk, took two pictures and then left the camera under my seat. Only on the train home did I realise I'd left it behind. Like all drunk men I had a very understanding girlfriend who had gathered my camera and other posessions and presented them to me. At that point I thought she was an angel sent to protect me. She on the other hand probably wondered why she was on the train with a pissed up bloke who could barely stand up! Yes when we got off the train I did drop the camera on the ground but being a heavy metal Pentax it survived!
How times have changed. At the Lyceum I lost nothing and didn't even have a beer - and I enjoyed every minute of the concert and remember it all!
All the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:40 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Cheers - Steve - nice to have a grown up discussion - if our paths cross I'll gladly buy you a pint! (And make sure you don't leave anything behind after..)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13