Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:24 pm 
I need a life

Dawoodcock wrote:
e-botti wrote:
i'm sure it's been another lovely night............can't wait to see the setlist if it's possible....

I think you can safely take it that the set list is going to be virtually the same at each gig.

it's what i think....but i like to see the little difference....and i hope to see on them Valentine or something from Late Night Final....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 pm 
Newcomer

We travelled up from Dairy County last night to see RH at the Hippodrome. Us musos have had Lady's Bridge as our fav' "travel home in the van after a gig" album since it was released and we're now getting into Truelove's Gutter. There's no better listening after a nights hard work at a pub gig.

IMHO the Smoke Fairies were a bit of a cool-down act rather than a warm-up. Don't get me wrong, there were some hauntingly lovely harmonies and sensitive arrangements, but it was all a bit samey until their last song which did grab the crowd's attention - saved the best 'til last I guess.

Richard's set was awesome and seeing him live was better than we had dared expect. He put so much dynamic into the songs that can only be achieved live. His voice is just so mesmerising and he didn't falter once which is remarkable. The digital inputs sometimes affected the band dynamic but that is to be expected with the material on TG.

It was cool that Richard gave the band credit for their collaboration when he said it was now a team effort 'cos they really do deserve to be seen as a "Band" as they are so tight and clealry in love with the music they play. Does anyone know why there is no info on the band members at the RH site, or have I missed it? They deserve better.

I had two gripes about the evening. First was the mixing of the electric bass which was so bad that you couldn't hear the separate notes being played, it was all just a rumble of sound. Second was that the geniuses at the Hippodrome closed the main mens' bogs after the performance so we had to sprinkle some hedges on the way home. Small price to pay for a great night out though and we look forward to seeing the band next time.

It would have been cool to hear the keyboard solo in Roll River Roll and to let Dean do his stuff on Valentine - but I guess that was last year.

Anyway it was a great show,

~Drummerpip~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:03 pm 
Newcomer

drummerpip wrote:
IMHO the Smoke Fairies were a bit of a cool-down act rather than a warm-up. Don't get me wrong, there were some hauntingly lovely harmonies and sensitive arrangements, but it was all a bit samey until their last song which did grab the crowd's attention - saved the best 'til last I guess.

Glad it wasn't just me then...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 pm 
Regular poster

went to the gig last night :)
brilliant, just perfect...couldnt really ask for more.
Richard's voice was exsquisit as per, and the guitar solos were out of this world, desperate to go again
Top gig ..>

Post subject: bristol 04/10/09
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:20 pm 
Newcomer

Great night Open up your door and for your lover give some time were fantastic and destined to become classics. Had a wonderful time as usual and the new album blended well with the older material another triumph for Richard Hawley

Cheers Dave and Dorothy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Brilliant gig on Sunday. The highlight for me was Soldier On - it seemed for its duration that nothing else existed, the music just enveloped everything. I was struck by the power of the new songs live – much of the album sounds so delicate and ethereal but the live experience was something else.
It was great to hear Run For Me live at last too :D

Looking forward to Sheffield in December now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

blue moon wrote:
The highlight for me was Soldier On - it seemed for its duration that nothing else existed, the music just enveloped everything.

Yes...I know exactly what you mean it was flawless....

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:49 pm 
Newcomer

Hi Richard, Brill concert at Bristol! I first heard of you two years ago when your album "Ladys Bridge" was Ken Bruce's album of the week and the track he played which I loved was "The Streets are ours"! Was gutted you never sang this when on tour however, me and my hubby love all your albums and are driving the kids nuts!! Hope you will be touring again next year?? It just gets better and better! ps if you do another tour down south (we are from up north though!) please sing "the streets are ours"!!! x