Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:25 pm 
Newcomer

Trust me : candied ginger for bronchitis....nothing better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i leave at three i have an evil virus and bronchitis i feel totally horrible...eeeuuurghhh :cry: :? :roll:

Should you be going at all then? :shock:

Hope you feel better soon - perhaps a few tots of french brandy will burn it all out of you! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:54 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Not the Dreaded Lurgy again :? What rotten luck. Look after yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:24 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Richard Hawley wrote:
i leave at three i have an evil virus and bronchitis i feel totally horrible...eeeuuurghhh :cry: :? :roll:

Hope you're much better. Have a good one. Wish I were there, the venue looks amazing, but I have Buxton and Brid to look forward to and putting the faces to the names of some of the Hawleyboarders!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Bradford Lass wrote:
Richard Hawley wrote:

Hope you're much better. Have a good one. Wish I were there, the venue looks amazing, but I have Buxton and Brid to look forward to and putting the faces to the names of some of the Hawleyboarders!

You poor thing - hope you feel better by tonight. Hope you all have a brilliant time in Lyon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:38 pm 
Newcomer

Hello

Quick update coming home
Show was amazing (was my 1st Hawley gig) but Richard was sick
Hardly noticed on his voice but the show was so short and no Ocean
More to come later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

:shock: :(
good luck richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:23 pm 
I need a life

Well, just arrived from Lyon and already at work......as Richard said in this thread he probably has got bronchitis and yeaterday night he was without voice, err.....not his normal voice...as he sang divinely!

So, he played a short set but beautiful and magic as always. The venue, as i said, was/is one of the most beautiful outdoor venue i have never seen, perfect for a show like this.
I think Richard and the band played one of the most great version of Open Up Your Door....and i'm really happy 'couse they played Don'tYou Cry...how i love this song.....The crowd was totally enthusiast and was funny throwing pillows (?) on the stage calling Richard again on the stage after the encore....they came out and played Hushabye Mountain.

Beautiful show, really beautiful....with an amazing view of Lyon behind the stage...during the sunset and later in the night....my god...

Thank you Richard, thank you very much for another wonderful night...i'm very proud to be in love with your music.

love :D

Last edited by e-botti on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:36 pm 
Newcomer

I'm back

Not much to add to e-botti's review.
Setlist was (as far as I can remember)

As the dawn breaks
Ashes on the fire
Lady solitude
Hotel Room
Soldier On
Open up your door
Oh my love

Don't you cry

Hushabye Mountain

Venue is great, I used to come here every year, and saw there some great gigs (Arcade Fire, dEUS, Blur...)
It was in the small Roman theater (the one clever Romans built for the gigs they didn't sell enough ticket for the big theater... :*: as Richard explained to the crowd).
It was intimate enough to see very well the band, and fitted perfectly the mood of the music.

What is loved
- The voice even if Richard asked several time if he was on tune. His voice was gorgeous when singing and terrible when speaking
- The band : amazing, gifted musicians, great mood, hats off lads
- The loud moments : Soldier on, Open up your door, and great great Oh my love, which was not my favorite in the first place but rocked the place, and generally the guitar playing mixed so much louder than on records
- The venue

My regrets
- Concert was so short, even if I understand Richard was in a poor condition... just ended at the time it was getting dark
- Concert starting before night
- The lads not playing The Ocean, even after me shouting for it... infinite regrets. Richard you have to come back soon, even closer from my home in Grenoble to play The Ocean

Just a last word on the cushions. As we were in an antique theater, we sat on stone benches and the staff in Lyon just feels it's more confortable for you if you sit on a cushion. Then tradition comes into play and when people are happy or calling for an encore, they throw cushions on the stage and in the pit... Poor Richard just laid down on a pillow on the stage when returning for the 2nd encore

That's it, I hope you enjoyed the review and let's hope some nice recording will surface from this tour!
Finally I added a lot to e-botti's review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm 

That's fascinating about the lobbing pillows, thanks for the review. Poor guy, bless him for soldiering on (no pun intended) and not wanting to let his fans down. I can just picture him laid on the stage with a pillow under his head.

Get well soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:14 pm 

just got back after a bit of a trek of a train journey- it was an amazing gig, beautiful city - loved old Lyon - poor Richard - he did us proud - felt so sorry for him, must have been awful having brochitis in that heat, but what a professional! He sang his heart out for us.

What a venue and how about the most amazing sight as the band began to play As the Dawn Breaks - just as the guys started up, a flock of swallows (I think) circled the sky above the amphitheatre - saw Shez looking up in amazement - it was the most perfect intro!

The whole theatre wanted more at the end and we all threw our cushions towards the stage as is a tradition if you like what you see there and Shez threw one back which Paul managed to grab (and which I now have on my chair in my living room!). When the lads came on for the second encore poor Richard lay down on stage with his head on a cusion - I did feel for him, bet he just wanted to be back home in Sheffield, but he 'soldiered on' and gave a great performance as always!

It was such a beautiful romantic setting and all the French guys sitting alongside us were raving about the concert at the end. I had a fantastic weekend, loved Lyon and its people and the most memorable gig - thanks to Richard and all the lads yet again and hope he is feeling better![/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:21 pm 
Newcomer

Krakr wrote:
I'm back

Not much to add to e-botti's review.
Setlist was (as far as I can remember)

As the dawn breaks
Ashes on the fire
Lady solitude
Hotel Room
Soldier On
Open up your door
Oh my love

Don't you cry

Hushabye Mountain

Venue is great, I used to come here every year, and saw there some great gigs (Arcade Fire, dEUS, Blur...)
It was in the small Roman theater (the one clever Romans built for the gigs they didn't sell enough ticket for the big theater... :*: as Richard explained to the crowd).
It was intimate enough to see very well the band, and fitted perfectly the mood of the music.

What is loved
- The voice even if Richard asked several time if he was on tune. His voice was gorgeous when singing and terrible when speaking
- The band : amazing, gifted musicians, great mood, hats off lads
- The loud moments : Soldier on, Open up your door, and great great Oh my love, which was not my favorite in the first place but rocked the place, and generally the guitar playing mixed so much louder than on records
- The venue

My regrets
- Concert was so short, even if I understand Richard was in a poor condition... just ended at the time it was getting dark
- Concert starting before night
- The lads not playing The Ocean, even after me shouting for it... infinite regrets. Richard you have to come back soon, even closer from my home in Grenoble to play The Ocean

Just a last word on the cushions. As we were in an antique theater, we sat on stone benches and the staff in Lyon just feels it's more confortable for you if you sit on a cushion. Then tradition comes into play and when people are happy or calling for an encore, they throw cushions on the stage and in the pit... Poor Richard just laid down on a pillow on the stage when returning for the 2nd encore

That's it, I hope you enjoyed the review and let's hope some nice recording will surface from this tour!
Finally I added a lot to e-botti's review

That's a really nice post. I would have loved to have gone to this, too - short or not.

It must be shite planning these things out months in advance and then falling poorly when the day finally comes around.

Fair play to Richard for seeing it through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 pm 
Newcomer

The boy Hawley did great - tremendous effort given his illness. And what a magnificent setting matched only by the quality of the music supplied by the band. Terrific sound last night!

I've just arrived home after flying in from Lyon this evening, so will post more later, but having seen Richard at the airport tonight, he is still struggling with the virus though, ever the professional, he will Soldier On....well done that man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 pm 

e-botti wrote:
I think Richard and the band played one of the most great version of Open Up Your Door....
love :D

Totally agree ebotti - a magnificent rendition of Open up your Door!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 am 
The Boss

just got back home myself,i feel terrible still.......just wanted to say how sorry i am to have played so short a set compared to a normal show,but simply put i just could not breathe,i felt like i was going to pass out twice.I am glad i went though as i knew that a lot of folk had put a lot of effort into being there so i thought i would try me best.It wasn't too bad and i just HAD to get off the stage before i collapsed,i went pretty much straight to bed and only woke up shortly before i had to fly...again apologies but i think it was better than just bottling it and not turning up at all

best wishes and thank you

Richard :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next