Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:11 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Dawoodcock wrote:
Didn't hear of anyone we know winning tickets.

I found a rough video of Jarvis this morning but it wasn't really good enough to link to.

I understand the gig (or parts of it) was filmed and will be on line soon.

I wondered if they might film it. Brilliant :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:38 am 
Regular poster

cant believe people talking during one of richards gigs. what is wrong with these people,i would give anything to be at that gig, let alone for free. especially one don south!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Admin

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 02429.html

Incredibly sad that an early point of the review is how much talking was going on.

And does Richard really fill the stage with the sound of a synthesiser? I always thought it was the original backing music from the recording.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 am 
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMAX7pDBvE

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:18 am 
Hawleytastic!

Underwhelming critique with content that is overshadowed by acerbic put down - something I thought passed away with the golden age of NME circa 1978.

I've been on P5 of Bert Weedon's Play in a Day for 31 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Underwhelming critique with content that is overshadowed by acerbic put down - something I thought passed away with the golden age of NME circa 1978.
hear hear PD, shades of the young tony parsons and the awful julie birchall...

and speaking of chatter during gigs, I saw the arctic monkeys in November at Wembley and was shocked at general behaviour of alot of the so called 'fans' - all they seemed to be interested in was the beer ! I suppose the genuine fans are the ones that get down the front and stand there for three hours before the main act comes on stage, but not all of us can do that (well, my bladder wouldn't stand for it for a start and we were with our 12 yr old so the mosh pit wasn't for us,) but people were constantly talking, walking past and going up and down the stairs for drink.I've been going to gigs since i was 15 and when i was younger it was always about the band and the music - thats why you were there !! nowadays i wonder if, for some people ,its just another night out... like for those competition winners ! It sounds like a fantastic night to me...more please !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:53 pm 
Too much time on my hands

The thing that puzzles me is if all the people at that gig were ticket winners and from all the competitions I looked at most seemed to be single tickets. What did they find to chat about in the middle of a gig with total strangers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:32 pm 
The Boss

Dawoodcock wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/duane-eddy-jarvis-cocker-richard-hawley-clapham-grand-london-2102429.html

Incredibly sad that an early point of the review is how much talking was going on.

And does Richard really fill the stage with the sound of a synthesiser? I always thought it was the original backing music from the recording.

what a knob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 pm 
Too much time on my hands

There are a plague of critics now who seem to feel their job is to ...er criticize. I don't enjoy reading it even if it is an artist or program I don't like. It's just so negative. There's a guy writes the TV reviews in the Sunday Mirror doesn't have a good word to say about anyone. I just don't read it anymore. It's just mean spirited and negative.

I see you've precied your critique of him Richard - very concise :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:30 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

A critic wouldn't keep his job if he praised every gig he went to.However, because they've got so many gigs to attend, i believe they draw numbers out of a hat to find the gig that gets a panning.
On this review,it looks like most of it was written before he left the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Little Dickie wrote:
On this review,it looks like most of it was written before he left the house.

As taken from a post I made to the Ian Hunter website a few days ago:

Re: Ian Hunter-Glasgow Fruitmarket 3/10/10-The Herald Review

The basic rules of rock journalism.

Go to the pub - miss the gig - get a mate to bring you a copy of the set list back to the pub - insert name of artist and applicable parts of set list into pre written review - review must irreverant / sardonic / ironic - displaying your knowledge of the English language via a few well placed long words and wind up statements - this way fans are fecked off and your cool - journo status maintained.

The real reviews are to be found on fan based web sited like this - any other review being by a writer is out to make their mark - and you don't make a name for yourself by being nice.

Grate mongs think alike?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 pm 
Regular

The guitar solo in the ''middle bit'' of Something Changed makes a great song perfect to me.

Probably a bit of truth in Jarvis being half-way through a How To Learn Guitar book but there's a lot you can do with a handful of chords. Especially if you have JC's imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm 
Newcomer

Just to even things up, and to make the point that not all journalists are the same, here's my review which will be appearing in this week's Sheffield Telegraph:

DUANE EDDY probably thought he'd seen just about everything.
After all, the King of Twang is 72 now and has played and toured with some of the greatest names in music.
But he'd never seen Jarvis Cocker sing Elvis Presley's One Night With You.
On a night of surprises and superlatives, Cocker's interpretation had Eddy and his old Pulp pal Richard Hawley beaming with delight.
The Jack Daniel's Birthday celebration at the Clapham Grand was billed Tennessee Comes To Town but the presence of Cocker and Hawley - plus Hawley's regular band - ensured the taste of the Deep South was mixed with a healthy measure of South Yorkshire spirit.
Eddy's unmistakable guitar sound, backed by the glorious sax of Ron Dziubla, was first to fill the old hall with 40 Miles of Bad Road, Movin' N' Groovin' and Rebel-Rouser among others before Hawley joined him for Girl On Death Row and Still Is The Night. Hawley is about to produce an album for Eddy at Sheffield's Yellow Arch Studio and the two have clearly forged a special bond based on mutual respect which promises much.
Pete Molinari was next to join the party with a haunting rendition of The Tennessee Waltz alongside the man from Nashville before Hawley returned to familiar territory with four of his own songs.
Then, from stage left, it was time for Cocker to enter the fray. "I love you Jarvis,'' shouted a bloke from near the back. "You don't even know me, so how can you love me?'' queried the bearded one. "Nice thought, though.''
He sang I Wonder If I Care As Much from the Everly Brothers and then it was time for a foot-stomping version of Chuck Berry's Memphis Tennessee, for which he was joined on the piano by Chas Hodges of Chas & Dave. "It's Chas & Jarv,'' announced Hawley as you began to wonder if a wonderfully surreal night could spring any more surprises. It did.
After reviving the old Pulp favourite Something Changed ('because we always felt it needed a Duane Eddy bit in the middle'), Lambchop's I'm A Stranger Here and Poor Man, it was time for One Night With You. Cocker kissed hands at the front of the crowd, thrust out his hips and nailed it as only he could.
Best of all, the tempo had by now been lifted to a level which drowned out the constant drone of those people who insist on turning up for something like this and then talk through every song. Surely there are enough places to chat to your boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband/friend without spoiling the enjoyment of others.
There was still time for support act Ellie Goulding to return and take the Nancy Sinatra role for These Boots Are Made For Walking alongside Eddy, who worked for many years with the man who wrote the song, Lee Hazlewood.
Then it was everyone back on stage for the brooding closer, Peter Gunn, written by Henry Mancini for the 1950s TV show.
The main man got a hug from every member of the ensemble before disappearing behind the curtain to a huge ovation.
It was close to midnight now but the people who had bothered to listen drifted away into the night knowing they had witnessed something pretty special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Fuck me! I've got the exact same jacket as Richard is wearing in the you tube clip. I picked mine up in a Salvation Army Shop in New York for $3. A total bargain!

Great clip by the way, sounds amazing. Looking at the crowd though, don't you think they could have squeezed a few more punters in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:20 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

That was great Davdt! :D :D :D