Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: No Direction Home
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Wooo Richard's just been announced as a headliner at the new No Direction Home festival (got my early bird ticket last year!). Organised by the End of the Road people .. 8-10 June. Get your tickets folks!!

http://nodirectionhomefestival.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hurrah! Thanks for this FPL! Am going to book now. With my camper. And the kids are free too. And it's at the end of half term so I will tramping about in an itinerant stylee in my wagon anyhow. Oh, how easily pleased I am, on a freezing Thursday afternoon, drudging my way through work blah, only to find a tiny chink of holiday delight comes sneaking over the horizon. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Maybeee also some low key warm up gig kinda thing - for those that cannot take their dogs into the festival... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:24 pm 
Hawley Groupie

also got early bird tickets...and now icing is on the cake :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Looks like a great line up. I'm gonna check out tickets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:54 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes, it is a good line up, isn't it. Low Anthem are always good and I love Andrew Bird - saw him with Laura Marling a couple of years ago. I haven't heard much of Dirty Three but I hear they're great. Saw Cold Specks supporting Josh T Pearson last year - the girl (can't remember her name) has an amazing voice - very impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I can't really do festivals, someone puking over your tent in the middle of the night or shagging/snoring/shouting when you're trying to have a kip. Not to mention chemical toilets. But this, being much smaller and more perfectly formed, looks like the kind of festival that people who don't really like festivals can go to. Like me. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I've only been to a few smaller festivals and have been lucky not to have had to put up with anything like that, Helen. I went to the End of the Road last year and the year before and also went to Wilderness festival last year. I think the type of bands headlining at EOTR and No Direction Home appeal to a different type of festival goer. No escape from the portaloos though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:09 am 
Hawleytastic!

Shame - can't do that one but hopefully there will be others ....

Post subject: Re: No Direction Home
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:11 am 
Too much time on my hands

Got tickets for my birthday for the Sunday when Richard is headlining. No Direction Home in June and City Hall in September. Not bad eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:55 pm 
Hawley Groupie

So, I'm thinking wellies, waterproof jacket and warm jumpers for this weekend then...flaming June eh :roll: Anyone up for a rendezvous at some point?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 am 
Too much time on my hands

What a fantastic set from Richard and the band last night! We just went for the day and after lazing around in the glorious sunshine it couldn't have finished on a higher note. It was lovely that Richard's son, Danny, helped him on and off stage.

The broken leg does not seem to have affected Richard's performance at all. He was amazing - as always. The cider and red wine might have helped to ease the pain! The whole thing was a highlight but particular favourites were 'Before', 'Don't Stare at the Sun', 'Hotel Room' and 'The Streets are Ours' which shows how well the songs from different albums work together. Richard's voice was rich, clear and emotive; the guitar playing was sensational; the band were tight and the atmosphere was fantastic. Everyone on that stage are so committed to every song. It is a privilege to be in the audience.

In terms of age of the audience, a young boy (aged about 11) was saying how much he wanted to stay to see Richard Hawley but his dad said they would have to leave before the end because they had to get back to Northampton as it was school in the morning. So.....there are some young fans out there.

Thank you, Mr Hawley, for a truly brilliant performance - I can't wait until 23rd Septemer.

Lou x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Best performance I've ever seen by someone in a wheelchair and what a fantastic way to end the festival!! We were just about to go back to the car for the journey home when Richard came back on to do The Ocean - really unexpected as you don't often get encores at festivals - wonderful! The setting was really lovely and apart from the (very) muddy ground on arrival everything else was great - just like a mini End of the Road! Only thing I really missed was the magical fairy lights in the woods but maybe next year ....