PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

O2 customers can book now:

http://www.o2priority.co.uk/Artists/Ric ... wley/3510/

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So, I know I'll probably get a nosebleed traveling to sarf London, but me and ladyblue are going out out to this jobby. Do any of yous know acceptable drinking places where people like us can go without having to shout or be surrounded by young people with jazz hats and beards? x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hi Helen.

Brixton is full of great pubs and places to drink. Head in to Brixton Village (it's an undercover market) for a bite to eat in the evening. Just turn left out of the station and walk down Electric Avenue.

The Efra is a very nice pub. http://www.timeout.com/london/bars/venue/2%3A18450/effra They have some truly brilliant Jamaican Jazz on thursdays with some of the oldest/best musicians in the community. Don't know if there'll be jazz hats!

Or you can pop in to the Ritzy Cinema for a drink in the bar which is quite relaxed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 pm 
Newcomer

So looking forward to Wednesday at Brixton Academy - am like a kid at Xmas!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another happy day

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks RP. The pub sounds like a plan.

Does anyone know what time H is on and what time the support starts?

Phone the venue and it's press one for this, two for that, and then you get cut off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

As I've posted on other threads, usually 7.45 support and 9.00 for main artist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks Denise. x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

There shoulld be some Hendos for sale tonight but the badges are definitely all sold out. T-shirts, fridge magnets, travel sweets and tree seeds should also still be available and the lovely Palf will be on the merchandise stall fresh from presenting Mr Trier with his 40th birthday cake on stage at Sheffield City Hall last night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 am 
Newcomer

Just got home from Brixton - great gig - all I expected and some! Tantalised by hint of a Shirley Bassey story but Mr H's lips were sealed!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another happy day

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 am 
Site Admin

I think the Shirley Bassey story is somewhere on the forum, I first heard it at Koko in, I believe, 2005.

Someone has already put videos on You Tube:

Post subject: Brixton
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 am 
Too much time on my hands

Best Hawley gig out of the 13 or so we've been to!

Started off in the Beehive in Brixton - great pub - cosmopolitan crowd.

Then....what a gig! Just the best! Louder and better than ever! RH hushed 'the talkers' straight off and kept us entertained all evening. Shez was really getting down with that guitar and I was so into the music at one stage that I laid my head on some strange bloke's shoulder - thought it was my O.H. next to me - frightened the life out of the poor guy! Absolutely fantastic 'Don't Stare at the Sun' and just got better and better as gig went on. Lovely to hear Paul Robeson's 'Water Boy' live and the story RH told about his dad and grand-dad - he certainly was on top form as the lady who asked 'how's your leg?' realised. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Fantastic end to the UK tour!

There we were on the packed tube home and then, of all the gin joints in all the towns in the world the lovely Helen Watson walks into ours! How weird was that? How did I know it was you? Paul kept saying to me 'I can't believe you just said 'are you Helen?' and then you hugged each other like long lost friends on a packed tube carriage. Lovely to meet you Helen, sorry I never got to say Hello to you Ladyblue. Fantastic end to a fantastic evening!

What I would have written in the book was 'When all is wrong in the world, you guys lift us up - bless you for that. You were fooking ROCK tonight!' x

Post subject: Re: Brixton
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:11 am 

Just how quick can two hours go? Answer; too fucking quick when Hawley's band are in town. I've seen Richard and his band many, many times over the past few years, but the two gigs i've seen this past couple of weeks are on a different level. Best ever Ocean I've seen Richard play, probably because the sound tonight was brilliant - loud but clear as a bell. Richard, it's a shame you and the boys couldn't be in the audience watching that tonight because it was fucking ace. Seriously considering getting my arse over to the Dublin gig now if I can get a ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 am 

Best Hawley gig out of the 13 or so we've been to!

Started off in the Beehive in Brixton - great pub - cosmopolitan crowd.

Then....what a gig! Just the best! Louder and better than ever! RH hushed 'the talkers' straight off and kept us entertained all evening. Shez was really getting down with that guitar and I was so into the music at one stage that I laid my head on some strange bloke's shoulder - thought it was my O.H. next to me - frightened the life out of the poor guy! Absolutely fantastic 'Don't Stare at the Sun' and just got better and better as gig went on. Lovely to hear Paul Robeson's 'Water Boy' live and the story RH told about his dad and grand-dad - he certainly was on top form as the lady who asked 'how's your leg?' realised. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! Fantastic end to the UK tour!

There we were on the packed tube home and then, of all the gin joints in all the towns in the world the lovely Helen Watson walks into ours! How weird was that? How did I know it was you? Paul kept saying to me 'I can't believe you just said 'are you Helen?' and then you hugged each other like long lost friends on a packed tube carriage. Lovely to meet you Helen, sorry I never got to say Hello to you Ladyblue. Fantastic end to a fantastic evening!

What I would have written in the book was 'When all is wrong in the world, you guys lift us up - bless you for that. You were fooking ROCK tonight!' x

Post subject: Re: Brixton
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 am 
Hawleytastic!

Well, Brixton. What can I say?

Firstly, the venue was great. Big and grand and a great view even from the gods. Have vague memories of having seen Soul II Soul there back in the day but was quite stoned at the time so the delights of south London were somehow lost on me.

H and the band were fantastic last night. Musically, I’m a bit of a funk, soul sister so the rockier new stuff has taken me a while to get my head round. But, shock horror, liked the new stuff best of all. Leave Your Body Behind You was beautiful, as was Down in the Woods (which would’ve gone down very well in my old stoner days as the band were well out there on the psychedelic highway to magical enlightenment), loved loved Don’t Stare at the Sun and Before (which is my new, new favourite) and Open Up the Door. And I just love The Streets, just because it reminds me of dancing in the bathroom.

H told a lovely story about his granddad and a steelworkers strike where Paul Robeson came and did a benefit concert and the band played Waterboy. It was lovely and charming and moving and heartening. Beautiful. The set was finished off by The Ocean and Arne was right, it was the best I’ve heard it played.

However, have made a decision not to listen to Soldier On anymore – should’ve gone to the toilet at that point because I find it almost unbearable to listen to. Not because I don’t think it’s great, but I just find it too, too sad. Too sad for a gin-drinking, middle-aged lush like myself. It’s going into a collection of songs that disproportionately effect me, in the maudlin department, alongside Frank Sinatra’s Wee Small Hours and Rod’s Hangbags and Gladrags. No more now.

H was witty and charming as usual. Think my friend was smitten with his general northern leftishness and liberal use of the f word. The comments about the Coalition government went down well on our row – comparing the cabinet reshuffle as someone trying to “shit on a shit to pretend it’s not a shit” was nothing short of arse word poetry. And I resisted the urge to should come on your Spurs when one of the band was described as a Villa boy. I mean, if the lad comes from Birmingham, he’s had his fair share of disadvantage already without adding to his woes.

Other things that weren’t so good. Got there too late to get a good seat so chatted up the lovely chappie policing the reserved guest list seats to let us have four with a view if the nobs didn’t turn up. After the first song, he came and got us from the back and sat us at the front, which was jolly lovely of the young wee thing.

The only trouble was, H was right about people who hadn’t paid to get in generally talking and getting on everyone’s nerves. Debs and I were sat in front of the pub cunt, who had his arm around a slightly drunk woman each side, with his oversized arse hanging out of the back of his trousers (hope it wasn’t a relative, H). He was generally being an exhibitionist wanker all the way though, shouting and talking and popping out to the toilet, I suspect to pay a quick visit to Charlie.

And there were a pair of screeching women sitting the other side of Debs. But we couldn’t really complain because we’d been upgraded to sit with the guest nobs, otherwise I would’ve had to have all of them outside, East End stylee.

Lastly, the company was pretty top draw too. It was great to see lovely Debs again and catch up. Going to go out out before Christmas to have a chinwag and drink gin in a glass that’s not plastic. Lovely lady. And bumped in to Josie in the street, who I’d met before. She was looking for a pub to get some afters, with little success. Going to PM you honey and we’ll meet for a jar. And when we got on the Tube, a charming man asked if I would like his seat. And I said there are two responses to that, I could either say thanks for your chivalry kind sir or I’m not that fucking old that I have to sit down on the Tube, mate! Anyway, then his missus says Are you Helen? How she knew I don’t know, a bit freaky, but it was Marie, who it turns out lives quite near me and had ‘recognised’ me before at a Gregory Porter gig in Bloomsbury. Mad, mad weird. Lovely, lovely to meet you both, lovely lady and her charming young man, what a sweetheart! And would be nice to chat on sometime, maybe in the bar down the road!!

This is the kind of world that my granny thinks still exists, one where you bump into people you know everywhere. Great end to the evening. If anybody wants to stow me away to accompany said band to Bordeaux, I know French for beer and fags, and make startlingly good fishfinger sandwiches.