It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am 
Secretly Canadian

http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/alttickets ... awley.html

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So, Jimmy Porter and I are travelling down from Scotland for this gig. Who else is going, and what's the Engine Shed like?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Enjoying our weekend in Lincoln, can't wait for the gig tonight. The Engine Shed seems to be part of the University complex, alongside a picturesque canal basin and railway line - cute little signal box opposite. I lived outside Lincoln 21 years ago, and part of it has changed out of recognition. Great cathedral though. :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:45 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Sadly I'm not going.......despite only living in Grimsby, Lincoln may as well be the moon......without a car I rely on public transport, but the train driver likes to get to bed early.
A throat infection has also struck me, so I would be less than good company.
I hope you all enjoy yourselves......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 pm 

Hope you have a great time those who are going. I would have gone but it is only a week since City Hall so it seemed a bit extravagant. I trained to be a teacher in Lincoln so have a soft spot for the place. Lived there for four years. I would imagine the crowd will be respectful but not overly loud and enthusiastic. That is basing it on how Lincoln used to be. It has probably changed! I hear the Engine Shed is a good venue but has quite a tight curfew.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just as Lou predicted, the Lincoln crowd were very quiet at times, but I think in awe of Mr H and the band. The whole gig was fantastic, especially Soldier On. I got talking to some Hawley virgins and they were bowled over.

Loved the banter ... the crowd kept back from the band 'for Richard's safety', and the vanilla slice and 69!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 am 
The Boss

The crowd were fine,Sunday night on a rainy night in Lincoln?.....it was quiet but the folks listened and clapped for us and our Lisa so all good,I had a good laugh talking to the folks I was in that kind of mood thanks Sheffield..........for driving to Lincoln xxx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 am 
Newcomer

Richard, it's not often a crowd at the Engine Shed is as appreciative as they were last night, you were fantastic from start to finish.

Loved hearing Soldier On, TWBYW/Down in the woods, and Lady Solitude was a nice surprise. Great banter too with the crowd, top night all around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am 
Newcomer

Top night in a rainy Lincoln last night, I've been to 3 Hawley gigs lately (Pocklington, Magna & Lincoln) and it's been really interesting to experience the music in three very different surroundings. After two sitting down gigs it was actually good to stand and have a rock out to the new harder songs. The band sound really tight and Richard seemed much more relaxed and 'uncut' (maybe as it wasn't been broadcast with an orchestra!). The audience were really quiet (about 3 people seemed to be from Lincoln when the large crowd was asked) but sure that was out of respect/admiration more than anything, think we were pretty mesmerized by the spot on quality of the sound and light show as well. Having said that a group were nattering away pretty loudly next to me during Tonight The Streets Are Ours but soon told them to pipe down a bit and then they thankfully shut it after shooting me a few evils (will never understand talking through songs at gigs). Then there was a bizarre moment when a guy who was clearly in the zone, on something good, barged through everyone to get to the front and then proceeded to 'dance' to Leave Your Body Behind You before retreating again (maybe that was the only song he knew).

Some great banter flying about, Richard admitted he knew nothing about Lincoln but then later on remembered a funny story about a visit with his children to the famous Christmas market - they wanted an ice cream, as he said 'they'd have one in the north pole'. Queuing behind a woman he'd overheard her asking for a 'vanilla slice and 69' and pissed himself laughing. That got a lot of laughs. Richard seemed confused at the distance between him and the crowd we were separated by barriers. He asked the crowd what this might be for and someone shouted 'for your safety', there was then a funny exchange about whether the crowd could reach the stage when having a piss, Richard said he thought he could have a good crack at it when he'd had a couple of pints which got everyone laughing.

Oh one more thing, the stage set up is epic, covered with trees. I just assumed they were artificial but got to chatting with the lovely folk at the merch stand for a while before Lisa Hannigan and they confirmed they were real, which shocked me, what's more its £700 a pop if they get damaged! Very nice touch though considering he wrote a lot of the music int woods. Lisa was great and the crowd, were, surprisingly, very respectful for a support act, so respectful in fact that we could hear the whirr of the hand dryers in the toilets in the quiet numbers! Especially enjoyed the moving cover of the Levon Helm song.

Thanks again for a top night Richard, the band and crew!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:08 pm 
The Boss

Bless you all see you at the crimbo market near the ice cream van ..>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:24 pm 

You said it Joel! Just got home to rainy Essex after yet another great concert, they just seem to get better every time! RH on top form - hearty laughter and banter throughout....and the music....just takes me to a higher plane every time - can't ask for better than that. Spellbinding and harmonically mesmerising yet again! .....with all the trimmings :wink:

Had the added bonus of seeing the lovely Lisa Hannigan perform beautifully and had a little chat in the interval by Palf's stand - what a nice lady.

Now looking forward to Brixton on Wednesday - you won't be disappointed folks! :D

Last edited by Marie Happe on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm 
Newcomer

A cracker of a gig, superb from start to finish.

Thought the band sounded fantastic, sometimes the Engine Shed can be a be a bit ropey sound-wise, but it was spot-on.

I saw the fella Joel spotted, he was most definitely in the zone, 'dancing' away all night just to our left - obviously Leave Your Body Behind You is his favourite song, because he made it a mission to get to the front for that one.

So many highlights in a top quality set, but Down In The Woods was fantastic and Open Up Your Door was just bloody lovely.

Thanks for coming to Lincoln, we seem to get forgotten about over here a lot of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:22 pm 
Regular poster

Now then, its been a while since I posted anything on here. last time was after that cold Christmas gig at the 'Devils Arse' where I literally froze me nuts off!! I couldn't find the time to keep posting after that as my graphics business went crazy and I had devote all my time keeping it all going. As I live in Lincoln this gig couldn't be missed, so me and the wife headed down and managed to be a couple of rows back from the front, right in front of Richard. Well, it was a brilliant gig with old favourites mingled with the sheer energy of the new stuff. After hearing Richard rave about Glasgow I knew last nights gig would be a tough one, but I suppose the crowd were respectful in being quiet so you could actually hear the songs really well, and then noisy when applauding in showing their appreciation. Some classic humour from Richard knitted the whole show together and with the excellent Lisa Hannigan it was a great night. The gig finished at about 10.45 and as I only live half a mile away I was able to be home in ten minutes have a cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast by 11.00pm. GET IN! Who says we don't rock in Lincoln!!! 8)