All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Portmeirion
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:59 pm 
The Boss

I really enjoyed the whole day top place great audience thanks very much ..>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:57 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

It looked beautiful... my kind of festival and the weather was good too (well it didn't rain , always a bonus)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:42 am 
Regular poster

Got back from Portmeirion in the early hours.

Richard and band were fantastic, played most of Sky's Edge (minus Seek It) plus Open Up Your Door and a triumphant Streets. Audience reception was great and the volume of the boos when the crew came on to dismantle the gear said a lot (it seems that the schedules don't allow encores,unless you're New Order). Good to see Richard back on two feet and great to see some on-stage jigging about from the band (not quite dancing though, perhaps they need a routine).

The festival itself was terrific, kept loosely to The Prisoner theme so lots of very surreal moments, insane hairdressers creating outrageous haircuts, daily game of human chess in the piazza. Very laid back and plenty of room, could even get a seat in the cafe in the village every time we went there.

The Welsh music stage on Friday was brilliant with Euros Childs and Gruff Rhys doing a raucous Welsh language set. On Sunday on the estuary stage Y Niwl played a blinder in the middle of wind and driving rain off the sea, everyone in the audience had a smile on their faces at the ridiculousness of surf music in less than beach conditions.

Hope Festival No6 runs again next year and they keep it small and don't get too greedy (I doubt the venue would allow greater numbers). A few teething problems but not bad for a first time. Although getting stuck in the mud in the car park and having to get a tractor to tow me out wasn't the best end to a fab weekend.

Now to Birmingham next Saturday night. :Hoorah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 pm 
Regular

I was going to the festival (1530 km from south of France!) for 3 names: Primal Scream, King Creosote and obviously Richard Hawley. I enjoyed a lot those gigs, and I was happy to hear live again the songs from Sky's Edge. Down in the woods is now one of my favourite live song ever!
Great great gig, thanks a lot to Richard and his musicians.

The place of the festival is lovely but it was quite funny because when we left on monday morning, arrived the "usual" visitors of the place which are happy retired persons who must have wondered who we were, us festival people with our lack of sleep, muddy wellies and stupid smiles of happiness on our face!

I should now think about booking the train for the gig in Bordeaux in a few weeks, hopefully the set is longer out of a festival context.