Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 am 
Hawleytastic!

It was indeed a fabulous gig. Everything about it was absolutely perfect; setlist, musical arrangements, our seats, the venue .. Everything! Just loved the big sound. Richard's performance was so polished and his vocals were also spot on. We absolutely loved every minute. Lovely to see some forum peeps too - Noblebones, Lofty, Fagan's Lass, Mr & Mrs Little Dickie and the elusive Egg. Well worth the journey and worth every penny of BBC licence fees :*:
Really appreciate being lucky with the BBC ticket draw!

A few words of wisdom heard amongst the crowd on the way out:

"He's very tall isn't he? I didn't think he was that tall. You can tell he's tall sitting down"
"That was good wasn't it? I wouldn't even have minded paying to see that"

Roll on Holmfirth!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:51 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

ps - we were vibing our "bits" off too!! (great turn of phrase) :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 am 
Hawleytastic!

Gutted for Poppy Dog ..... :(
How awful .....
X

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

What a night! It really was perfect wasn't it. Never seen a live orchestra before :oops: Isn't musicianship just so ...Clever? Seriously. It all fitted together seamlessly. Great setlist too. All songs I'd have chosen if asked to narrow down a list. Richard & the band looking well & sounding on top form. Good job it used to be a steel works, otherwise that roof may well have been blown off.
Didn't get too much time to chat with the forum crowd, but I we can re convene in Holmfirth :) Sorry you couldn't make it Poppy Dog. The dog will have to accompany you next time. :wink:

Thanks everyone who made this possible for us. It was brilliant ..>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:52 am 
Regular

There is a piece of software called Radio Downloader it's is pretty small and easy to use, anything which has been on the radio is available from through this software for a week at 128kbps. What's great about it is, it is complete shows including all the music and chatter.

Here's a link to it

http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/

Download the 32 or 64 bit version depending on what version of windows you are running

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:42 am 
Too much time on my hands

Well, it has been a while since I was last in these parts, but last night was sublime so thought I'd better reappear state it for the record as well. I managed to put my back out on Friday (herniated disc) so I'm glad I decided to dose myself up with enough pain killers and master a dodgy walking stick in order to get there.

A highlight for me were the segues between I Sleep Alone....Coles Corner.....Run For Me; I came over all emotional for a little while. Given the setting I was quite suprised not to hear I'm on Nights, but could see that the simplicity of that tune may have made it a difficult choice (and we'd have all been blubbling far too much)!

What was particularly cool was sitting amongst some 'newer' fans who ended up talking about buying the back catalogue during the interval. Welcome to the addiction. :D

The second half just sounded immense, someone else has mentioned the actual physical impact musicianship of that nature has on you. So true. Don't Stare at the Sun was a particular favourite.

As well as the more famous Elbow recording, I saw Joe Dudells tour with James last year, which was a spectacular reworking of a vast body of work, so knew last night would be really special. As I said to Jan on the way out, we are so privileged to have the BBC, and I'll happily keep paying my licence fee to get opportunities like that in life.

City Hall next for me, near the front of the stalls. No doubt see some of you there.

*vanishes back into the ether*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Louder Than War review

http://louderthanwar.com/richard-hawley ... ve-review/

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Wow! That was an incredible night :D I knew it was going to be special from the opening bars of "Open Up Your Door" - spine-tingling. In fact I think that's the best way to describe last night, spine-tingling :D Every song was a highlight, Coles Corner with an orchestra was sublime, The Ocean, Run For Me, all incredible. And the new songs! Ever since I first heard "Don't Stare At The Sun" I've been dying to hear it live, and boy was I not disappointed! Best thing I've ever heard :Hoorah The musicianship! That voice! It was really quite emotional in places too, what an atmosphere there was in Magna.

And it was free! Free?! How can something that good possibly be free?! It was priceless.

So thank you Richard, The BBC Philharmonic, and BBC 6 Music, that truly was something very special indeed.

P.S. It was nice to see Jarvis too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 am 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Massive thank you to the BBC for putting on a stunning musical experience and to Richard & Cod for sorting out the extra tickets.
Mr H said several times how honoured he and the band felt to be playing with such a talented set of musicians...well,we were more than honoured to be there,in such an amazing space for a concert.
You could feel the nerves all aroud the hall in the absolute quiet before the concert started and the look on the faces of Shez,Dean & Colin as they nervously grinned at each other was priceless.When Mr H was introduced he had such a look on his face..pride,bricking himself and trying to remember not to swear.Nothing to worry about,halfway through the opener "Open Up Your Door" you knew it was going to be a polished,unbelieveably good night.I was torn between,watching all the orchestra looking where the different sounds were coming from,and just closing my eyes and letting it wash all over me.
Respect to Joe Duddell who interpreted tunes i know and love and took them to a higher plane.

Amazing night and Richard managed not to swear.

See you all in Holmfirth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:39 am 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

fagan's lass wrote:
A highlight for me were the segues between I Sleep Alone....Coles Corner.....Run For Me; I came over all emotional for a little while.

I'm with you there.....very emotional indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:46 am 
Too much time on my hands

Little Dickie wrote:
and trying to remember not to swear.

Amazing night and Richard managed not to swear.

That made me laugh out loud LD!

Thanks for the reviews folks - sounds like you all had an amazing evening - sounded fantastic at home, but there's nothing like actually being there.

Roll on Lincoln x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 am 
Newcomer

Been listening in, sitting at home in cold and rainy St Petersburg, and it was MAGICAL! Thank you Richard and thank you BBC for allowing to listen to stuff online. Means a great deal to me:)
Can't waith to see Richard playing live! Only two weeks left, and I'm very excited.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 am 
Regular

Just want to say a massive thank you to Richard and the guys on here for making it possible for me to attend a very special night. Musically sublime, in such a great venue with a brilliant atmosphere - I feel very priveleged to have been there and it wouldn't have been possible without you guys on here ..>

Just another positive, I go to lots of gigs and it was brilliant not to have the idiots stood or sat around you that insist on talking all the way through the performance and taking stupid pictures of themselves dicking about on mobile phones, I'll never understand why they bother going in the first place! But last night the audience were perfect too.

Once again massive thanks to all that made it possible!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:
Gutted for Poppy Dog ..... :(
How awful .....
X

We were both too giddy setting off - so no one to blame but ourselves.

We didn't miss out [OK we did big time] as we got to hear the soundcheck for half an hour before coming back home.

And this guy was pleased to see us before he went into a hypo...

Great to read all the reviews - the physicality of the music vibe - the fact that folks paid attention to the music - was great night!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks for posting that link review Denise - its so rare to read a review (except from the talented bunch on here of course) where someone just totally gets it and expresses it so well.

Some of the folk posting this morning have hit on another aspect that made last night unique - everyone seemed to sense the magic of the occasion and were quiet and loud in all the right places. The silence before Richard and Joe took the stage at the beginning and after the interval really was palpable - its strange to say you can feel a silence but you definitely could. It almost took on a life of its own as 650+ people seemingly collectively held their breath for several minutes.

If only all concerts were made this way .....

Although RH sat down throughout it looked like he was dying to get up and really go for it during a couple of numbers so hopefully he'll be able to let loose in familiar fashion at Holmfirth.

Bu@@er the sunshine today, I think I might just have a couple of hours worth of ironing to tackle, with the iPlayer as accompaniment (*)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next