Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Troxy 23rd Feb.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:59 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Richard Hawley wrote:
Trapped the sciatic nerve in my back in Australia total fucking agony I've tried me best since then but even with the help of osteopaths and serious drugs its awful,despite that I have enjoyed all the gigs ,London is always the same and I've realised that half the audience can't hear me over the constant talking so why bother to talk myself?just play the tunes,vibe on.....it's enough

Thanks coming to the shows folks two left then I'm taking a long time off :Hoorah ..> spring is coming time for renewal and change can't wait

Poor you! I know the agony of that all too well and in the end it was a combination of a brilliant Osteopath, rest for the first few days then gentle leg exercises 3 times a day that helped me, but it still took a few weeks to mend. Must be tough carrying on with the tour in that pain, and it looked like it was hurting a few times last night, so well done and thanks to you for carrying on with the gigs yet again! Once the tour is over, hopefully, you can focus on getting yourself better again.

As regards the 'talkers' - just such bad manners! Luckily not too much going on around me last night, apart from the beginnings of a punch-up right next to me, due to alcohol and youth, it seemed. I've said before on here - too much talking and not enough listening these days - as the saying goes 'they think too little who talk too much'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm 
Regular

arne saknussen wrote:
Is it just me? Great show by Richard and the band last night but why is it that at every London gig there's always a bunch of tossers who turn up to be seen and to be heard rather than to see and to listen? There's no way Richard could ever do any of his quieter songs at a show like last nights. One person in the audience caught Richard's tongue though when Richard called him a cunt: totally justified too. Rant over, and I do hope Richard's OK as he seemed to be limping off stage quite badly at the end. Bad back maybe?

It really is an absolute pain having to hear folk talking/shouting - and normally talking/shouting shite -during gigs. I therefore choose my gigs carefully these days - if I can possibly do so, I avoid gigs in the larger venues/cities, and avoid Friday and Saturday nights. Last year I chose (I'm lucky I can) to see Bruce Springsteen in Paris rather than in England, and this year I will see him in Coventry and Cardiff on weekday nights, avoiding Wembley on a Saturday night.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

its true about gigs at weekends. They tend to attract large groups of fucktards who are there just to be seen, heard, because they have nothing better to do or all the above... weekday gigs maybe seem to attract people who go out of their way on a weeknight to see somone they like rather than that OTHER crowd..

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:34 pm 

You could hear a pin drop at Buxton - always a very select crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:48 pm 

Not that I am in any way biased......of course not.....perish the thought.......But northern crowds are usually better. They may - let me re-phrase that - WILL let you know if they don't like you (many years singing in the clubs have given me that insight!) but if they like you they will listen and show real appreciation. Okay all you southerners out there - bring it on!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am 

Gonna have to make you right Lou, coming from a Southerner and based on Hawley gigs - we've been to a fair few all over the country - the only ones where we've been bothered by talkers have been the London ones, especially The Forum. Just so disrespectful and it spoils it for true fans. What I don't understand is why would you spend hard earned cash on tickets and then just blah, blah, blah all through - doesn't make sense.

Anyway, enough about those inconsiderate idiots - it's their loss!

'Storm a Comin' was sooooo fantastic last night - listening to it again and again tonight whilst doing a pile of ironing and really getting into it when my youngest daughter comes in the kitchen, rolls eyes and says 'you are so weird'!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 am 
I need a life

Just back home in Italy. Another great trip in the UK to see Richard and another fantastic show. The gem was 'Storm Coming'...totally unexpected and a very pleasure to have back Streets Are Ours, i really love this song.
So thank you very much Richard i hope to see you again soon :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:48 am 
Hawleytastic!

Well, I had a boss evening at the Troxy. Met up with a few lovely forumers beforehand, Steve and his wife who had come all the way from Cumbria; Josie, who always disproves the idea that London is a big place because we bump into each other at most things, even randomly in the street; and the Dickster and Caroline, who are just the most lovely people and great company. We had a proper good laugh, mucho gin-o and top chat. Great to meet the both of you – first of many boozy nights I hope.

Just some observations from me. I love the Troxy, I think it is a great place to see a band. I've been to a four Hawley gigs over the years before but I've never had such a good view. Usually, I'm stuck behind tall people with big hair or getting squashed up against sweaty blokes, but here I managed to get fairly near the front without having to get over-familiar. Nobody was talking too loudly around us and the sound was great. There's a Storm a Comin and I'm on Nights were just beautiful.

I just have a couple of points about the discussion on here since Saturday.
1. A cunt is a cunt, northern or southern. Having met both types, I can truly say that it's not where you come from that makes you cuntish, its the fact that you are one and I'm sure this is an astral truth wherever you are in the world. We could have some political discussion about what comprises the characteristics of a cunt and my two-penneth would be (middle) class and booze help to encourage said behaviour. But you may disagree. Certainly, the heckler on Saturday was more likely to have originated from the Home Counties with the accent he had. Certainly not a Limehouse boy anyhow.

2. I absolutely agree about talkers – as I said before, at the Brixton gig we were surrounded by talkers, inconsiderate self important wankers, but we had wangled a seat in the VIP area. I don't want my night ruined by people talking loudly about what they had for dinner but I didn't experience that on Saturday. But there is a part of me that wants to point out that it was a night out, thousands of people in an enclosed space, seeing a rock and roller, a guitar band. It's not the fucking library or St Paul's Cathedral. Personally, I'm not surprised you couldn't 'hear a pin drop'. As I say, I don't like a talker but I don't think this was particularly noisy.

3. Lastly, sometimes I think the forum can be a bit prudish and evangelistic, both of which make me uncomfortable. I didn't come out for a religious or out of body experience – there are other places close by that you can get that on tap. As I say, Ihad a great night, great company, brilliant music and met some lovely people, and I shall mark this one down as just that. x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 pm 

....I always have an 'out of body' experience at a Hawley gig .......thought that was the whole purpose of the music..........but, hey, maybe that's just me

Last edited by Marie Happe on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:49 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Another sublime show ...respect to Richard & the band.Amazing venue,quick bar staff(essential to a good gig) and,as Helen said...a great view from the front....even managed an embarrassing dad boogie.
Had a brilliant weekend involving lots of walking and visited lots of pubs on Saturday (i think the one after the gig was one too many for me).And,as at every gig we've been to,met more lovely forum peeps...Helen & Josie,Marie & the Cumbrian Massive.Now....back to staying in and watching TV series box sets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:44 pm 
Newcomer

Well the venue at the Wilton was the destination for the pre gig drink, However not knowing what Helen looks like we scoured the room looking for a female that drinks Gin. With the room filling up fast for the Great Gatsby do up stairs all wearing 1920`s dress. We found our female gin drinker unfortunately not the right one, but fortunately for us Josie was also waiting for Helen to arrive. Helen as her want arrived fashionably late and introduced us to The Dickster and his wife Caroline. We immediately felt comfortable in your company - you made our night.
Helen we would like to thank for all her tips on sightseeing in the capital and Josie for getting us to the gig from Wiltons bar and the Dickster and Caroline for their good craic, How that man stands up after all that red wine!!!!
Anyway the coming together of all these people from different parts of the country was just the prelude to our enjoyment of Mr Hawley`s gig, and as expected now of a Hawley gig he absolutely nailed it with a brilliant concert.
Thanks again Steve& Chris –Cumbria massive

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 am 

[quote="helenwatson"]
Certainly, the heckler on Saturday was more likely to have originated from the Home Counties with the accent he had. Certainly not a Limehouse boy anyhow.

Impossible to tell from the seven wanky words he uttered....could have been a Limehouse privately educated schoolboy stock broker? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am 
Hawleytastic!

"I'm taking a long time off"

(A selfish) weep. :cry: hopefully the live cd will keep us all going.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm 
Newcomer

Quote:
"Well, I had a boss evening at the Troxy. Met up with a few lovely forumers beforehand, Steve and his wife who had come all the way from Cumbria; Josie, who always disproves the idea that London is a big place because we bump into each other at most things, even randomly in the street; and the Dickster and Caroline,"

Other half of the Cumbria Massive here. We had the most fantastic night. The Troxy was a spot-on venue. Thanks to Helen again for organising the Country Bumpkins in That London - it was well worth us getting a nose bleed leaving our island to venture south.

We didn't think the talking was too bad - Belfast was much much worse. Loved the craic from Mr.H enouraging the bar staff to lob empties into the bottle bins during the quiet tracks.

Hope Mr. H can be talked into Ullapool. We can get a camper convoy going up there..

xxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Glad you had a good time Chris. It was great to meet you and Steve – charming chaps that you both are. Looked up your little island when I got home and am most jealous. Anytime you are down again, give us a shout. And don't think you're such a bad trip organiser yourself – how was the Marriott? Did you keep clear of the lasagne? Cost my boys a place in the champion's league that one...

And didn't realise you had a camper otherwise we might still be in the pub, talking leisure batteries!! Would fancy going to Ullapool but, the speed mine goes at, I'd have to leave now to get there in time.

And Dickie, that embarrassing dad boogie. Seemed to impress the woman next to you as I seem to remember. Hands on your bum or was it your plums...xx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next