All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qq9m8

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Loved H's forthright telling of how it is for ordinary folk-the pleasant and very public school boy Dermot (who I'm sure is very nice although I think he comes across as a right knacker on the Tele)got a bit panicky, told H that he was sure any Tory representative would defend their policies against H's opinions by saying that the Conservative Party was all about providing opportunities for the working man to grow and progress.

To which H replied
'Then I'd call them a liar'
You could just imagine the silent expletives.

..>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

The music was fantastic, best sessions i've heard..

Dermot was ok but i don't usually listen to his show on radio..

I admit to seeing him on x factor and its fucking cringe worthy..

Thats why i don't listen to his show on the radio..

He's probably an alright bloke for an Arsenal fan.. :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

Mags, listened to this this morning at work – thought the bit where they were discussing politics was quite awkward. I think the BBC sometimes is quite sanitised when it comes to political debate or expression – it's like a middle-class no-no, like farting at a dinner party or using the wrong fork. And I think instead of just letting discussion take place organically, the presenters start trying to give the other point of view, to balance it out. Whereas, if the truth be told, 95 per cent of their output is the establishment point of view so balance doesn't really come in to it.

And Dermot I find difficult to take seriously cos his whole career is based on the x-factor, which markets itself on finding talent but is mostly about laughing at people who have some kind of personal problem, in a bearded lady at a freak show type of way. Look at this girl, she can power sing. but look at this girl, weeping on the floor at ruining 'the most important day of her whole life'. Find it hive-inducing.

And that's probably why I can't do Radio 2 – it's full of presenters who do something else as their main job and are plonked on the radio in the hope that they will be interesting. And he just isn't. At least with someone like Robert Elms, he acknowledges the existence of different traditions, working class culture – even traditions that most people wouldn't know much about, like the Spanish Civil War.

Anyhow, the playing was great but also thought H and Shez showed off their conversationalist talents just as well. x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
Newcomer

Any chance of someone recording this? Love the session tracks, Richard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I rather like the show; D-O'L plays a lot of unusual and otherwise unheard stuff, and a lot of small sessions, and seems genuinely excited by the songs and performances. Hard to square up with X-Factor stuff; maybe one persona is a piss-take? The good Mr McSweeney may be able to add more, as I believe he's been on once or twice (on the afternoon sessions, not the X-factor).