Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ramsbottom !!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am 
Too much time on my hands

Good day at Ramsbottom Festival. Enjoyed The Beat, they should have been on later though as they got the crowd going.It was a bit cold and last night must have been freezing with all that rain and wind. Still, Richard and the the boys were on form on Saturday night, Worth a visit to this festival if you have not been, some good bands performing. Excellent curry house in the town as well!!

Post subject: Re: Ramsbottom !!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:09 am 
Hawleytastic!

We saw the Beat a couple of week's ago at a festival down the road. I thought they were looking fine and dandy. x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I really wanted to go but couldn't. Twitter is afire with rave reviews, the official reviews so far haven't said anything except Richard wasn't a "happy bunny" and there were a few technical problems to start with. Think they should send a different reviewer next time to concentrate on the music, the first class standard of playing and the good audience reaction!

I hope Richard is feeling a bit happier now and enjoying his mini-Manics tour :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 am 
Newcomer

I'm not normally someone who joins forums and posts stuff and doubtless I will get criticism for this, but I feel like I want to give vent to my feelings - who knows, maybe Richard will see this and take it as it's meant.

I've followed Richard's music career from pretty early on, bought the cd's etc. and have seen him loads of times and have always had a brilliant time. My wife and I travelled close to 200 miles for the Ramsbottom Festival and were really looking forward to seeing Richard again. It was a bloody cold day, but we saw some great bands and were having a lovely day. But I have to say we felt really disappointed and angry by Richard's performance. Yeah, it was bloody cold, yeah there were a few gobby idiots in the crowd (it's a festival, it happens, ignore them and move on) but that's no excuse for Richard's attitude. Slagging off Ramsbottom, slagging off his wife, telling people to shut up, going on about being off his fucking head when out with his son etc. - I don't know if it was an attempt to be sardonic or what, but it came across as mealy mouthed, misogynistic and a bit pathetic. As I say, I know it was cold (believe me it was colder off stage, standing around for 8 or 9 hours in it) and the on-stage sound was obviously bad (turn the fucking keyboards down, turn them up, turn the drums down, turn 'em up, Julian! It's fucking crap! Juuuuulian!!! - Julian ain't gonna do a good job if he gets bellowed at, he was probably a nervous wreck) but show a bit of professionalism, deal with it after the show, the sound for us out front was fine, unusually good for a festival oddly enough. And then in amongst the ranting, he was constantly telling us he loves us, appreciates us etc. - sort your head out mate! He goes on about working class values, but we'd paid good hard earned money to see him perform, not behave like a spoilt kid, storming around the stage and then stomping off and not playing an encore (yeah, I know encores are a 'game' we all sign up to, but they usually happen). I don't know if drink or herbal cigarettes played a part, but it's no excuse.

Anyway, rant over - I still love the music, will still go to his gigs and still think he's a good bloke, but needed to say this. Hope he's working class enough and man enough to own it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sounds like you've taken his onstage comments a bit the wrong way in my opinion. "Slagging off his wife" - I think he was having a little bit of an affectionate joke. Same with Ramsbottom. Dry sense of humour. That's the way I see it at least.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:58 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quite agree RP. All Richard's "banter" on stage is accompanied by a distinct twinkle in his eye and a wicked sense of humour.

There could have been a curfew at the end, hence the lack of encore. I experienced it a few years ago at the Garforth Festival - an overrunning "act" prior to Richard's set followed by technical problems meant less time for the headline act.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 am 
Hawleytastic!

Speak as you find, mate. Wasn't there so can't comment and you're entitled to your opinion.

H might have got out of bed the wrong side – happens. And am generally suspicious of men who spend their lives saying lovely things about their wives. You'd wait a long time for praised lashed in our house.

Reckon H's mood swings are badger related – he hangs around the woods a lot these days and his mind is filled with things arboreal.

Still, the principle of being able to say what you think, as long as you are not abusive or bigoted, is OK with me. x

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:24 am 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I wasn't there either but I'd imagine the combination of being freezing cold and being beset by technical hitches wouldn't have helped the atmosphere.
Like most if us I've seen H many times, some gigs better than others for many different reasons, and swearing and mock derogatory banter are pretty mandatory.
But yeah, speak as you find, and I'm glad you're able to do that and you're not pressured to be enthusiastic when you don't feel it.
Still a shame that you didn't have a good time J- there should be a Forum meet up in Fagans shortly, come along to that and we'll show you a truly crap time! :0)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm 

Northern humour. Think Les Dawson (as opposed to Bernard Manning). Wasn't there and don't know Richard personally but I have seen him live a few times and much of what you say strikes me as meant in jest - with a straight face and sardonic tone of voice. I also agree it is good to say what you feel (as Helen says as long as it is not abusive or bigoted) and I saw your original post which then disappeared. I was a bit concerned that the censorship was a bit too zealous but then saw your post in this thread and felt relieved you were allowed to have your say. I really like Richard's banter but realise it might not be to everyone's taste. I am pleased you were still able to appreciate the music. As I wasn't there I suppose it is not really fair of me to try and comment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

For the record.. There was no censorship... The poster was asked and encouraged to repost their comments in the original Ramsbottom thread instead of starting a new one. This has happened now. Duplicate threads are not permitted for obvious (to some anyway) reasons. Because something gets moved or merged or disappears for a time doesn't mean someone is being censored it means the forum, poster, post(s) topic(s) have been moderated or administered. If people prefer to jump to such baseless conclusions there is little anyone can do but to post such assertions are not helpful in the grand scheme.

Anyway feel free to loose the tinfoil hats and continue talking about Ramsbottom rich tea biscuits or the weather.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:49 pm 

Apologies if I caused offence. My point was that there was no censorship not that there was. I do not wish to post anything unhelpful. I am nearly feeling compelled to flounce but it would take too much energy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Don't worry Lou. I'm sure this was just Eoin's clumsy attempt to get in the cerebral shag top ten. X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:26 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Cerebral shag? Is that where you have your brains f***ed out? :D

And bloody hell I can only imagine the other 9 on the list!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:34 pm 

Thanks, Helen x. He failed. Although I am sure Eoin (and co) does/do a great and, I am sure, thankless job of monitoring. And I have always had a soft spot for the Irish. Isn't it great that people can speak their mind (politely) on this forum and not be censored! I am just repeating my earlier point because it appears it was misinterpreted...... Back to tea in Ramsbottom and biscuits and weather and men who shag exhaust pipes...... X